Yet more staffing problems!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I sacked one today (very valid reason) and she subjected me to 15 minutes of revolting personal comments, calling me the c-word saying what a slag everyone says I am (?) (been married hapily for 17 years).

Just let em rant. All I replied to her is "this will not help".

I will admit I was upset and shaken up with the whole thing.

If the mother rants, let her. If she goes too far, then call the police.

Thanks Sarah-Jean. This is very helpful. It's the mum coming for the reference. I did say I would post it but she said she wanted it as soon as possible.
I'm just not good at confrontation and she is quite an interfering woman.
I don't think she expected me to be as nice as I was or that I would even be as open to giving a reference but I've said all along that the girls work wasn't the big problem.

Persianista, that is awful. I'm so sorry u were subjected to that. I really hope ur ok. But at the end of the day, we are business women and our businesses are our lives so we have to think of that every time.
It's not a personal thing but so many people take it that it is.
I will take ur advice and just let her rant if that's what she wants and then tell her she's not helping at all.
I just want it to be over so hopefully once she gets the reference it will be. I do fully expect her to badmouth me to everyone in the town though. But that's not something I can control.

Hi everyone. Well this is going from bad to worse. Her mum came in and I took her into a room to give us some privacy as there were clients in the salon. She went off on one at me telling me I was cruel, unprofessional and what goes around comes around. She was fully shouting at me and the clients heard.
Now the other therapist who I am bringing on board has been brought into it. Everyone seems to have this idea that I just let the part timer go to give this other girl a job!!! I dont even know were that came from!!
The mum said to me "If I ever find out that xxxxx xxxx is working here...." and I just said who I employ is no business of anyone else's but mine. So now I have to wait until the start of august to start this other girl as I don't want to make things work!
But now the sacked girls cousin is mouthing all over Facebook about how I don't have a clue and she hopes my new salon goes 'tits up!' and all her friends are saying they will spread the word. What do I do? This is so upsetting and I didn't mean for all this to happen. :,,,(

Oh I'm so sorry for you this is awful, my husband employs staff & it's a nightmare sometimes! You have done nothing wrong & her mother is a big mouth, it will blow over I'm sure but I know you feel horrible just now, unfortunately this is how people are when you let them go, hope you feel better soon x

Oh the times that I have had gobby mothers in and silly girls threatening to "close me down". Guess what? I'm still here, still going strong.

Also had my sacked one texting and trying to phone me. Wants a weeks pay lieu of notice. Said if she doesn't have it by next week there will be "war". Yawn.

Hi, this sounds awful I feel horrible for you but you have done the right thing for your business. If this girl and her family had the inclination to ever do this yhey are not people you want mixing up with your lovely business. Whether or not you had a member of staff starting the next day is of no concern to her family and what are these people going to say when they are spreading stories around 'well I've never been there but......' because if they do spread these little tales around they are not only telling people she was fired (in which case people will wonder why) but they're also saying they didn't think she was good enough to go to themselves. You sound like a lovely boss otherwise you wouldn't have let this situation bother you. Your real clients will keep coming back for what I'm sure are lovely treatments. Good luck with the move xx

Sent from my Nexus S using SalonGeek

Don't have anything to do with her or her family. She has her reference, which you could've refused but didn't and there is no more to discuss.

If you try and argue back or publicly defend yourself it will just make you look bad. Stop reading it so you don't get upset and completely ignore it. It will just highlight your professionalism.

Hire your new girl today if you want to. You need staff and have clients waiting, she is available. I would do it immediately.

There is nothing they can do to you. The girl was still on a trial basis, lacked committment and refused any extra hours, so it is obvious you didn't sack her for someone else.

Breathe, have a glass of wine and some chocolate and move on. Keep doing what you're doing because it sounds like you're doing a great job xx

Hi,

You have my sympahty no having staff and running is business is not easy. We are a small salon we offer both hair & beauty and have been trading for about 6.5 years in that time we have had to let 2 people go because they were not what we thought they were. We have aslo had to deal with with 4 pregnancys and the maternity leave that comes with it. Then them wanting to come back to work on their terms nevermind the needs of the business. The worst of it is if someone has worked for you for more than a year your hands are tied. So you are doing the right thing if she is not right for your business make the change now and not when things become more difficult. Good luck I know the sick feeling but you know its the right thing to do you are not a charity.

Is there any amount of time that I legally have to wait to employee someone else? I've already put this other girl off starting until the beginning of august because of all the Facebook comments. :(

No. go for it. Whatever you do you are gonna get slagged off, so you may as well do what suits you.

crystaltash,
Is there any amount of time that I legally have to wait to employee someone else? I've already put this other girl off starting until the beginning of august because of all the Facebook comments. :(

No - you can employ who you want and when you want as long as you follow the employment laws.

You must not let these stupid comments on Facebook affect the way you run your business, and whatever you do, do not respond to them. It seems to me that there some very sad people out there, so just be thankful they are no longer in your salon.

William1 sums it all up - you are not a charity, you are a business and that means sometimes taking decisions that will be unpopular with staff, for the health of your business. It is hard enough staying afloat in a recession without having staff that are not committed and are dragging you down.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone. Im not even going to rise to it publicly but it's tearing me apart inside. I got an email yesterday saying the person 'does not want to be associated with a salon who does not know how to treat their loyal staff. Maybe they should take an employment law and customer care course.'
I'm being attacked at all angles and I'm here on my own this morning and I feel a bit frightened.

This will blow over I promise you. Your business is far bigger than one part timer, and her gobby mother. Easy for me to say don't worry, but I promise you I have been there. They can't really do anything.

Think about it, if someone who you were friends with got the sack, would you blame the company? or would you wonder what they had done wrong to get sacked? Just ponder that one xx

I feel so sorry for you, you are obviously a lovely person otherwise this wouldn't be affecting you at all.
I can see where her cousin is thinking she's just sticking up for her family, God knows what she's been told, but putting on facebook and all the comments is so childish and petty. This is the problem with facebook and other people sticking their 2p's worth in. Rise above it.

Who was the email from, are they a regular? If not I wouldn't let it get to you, if it was then you don't need clients like that anyway!

Look, you need to focus on your brilliant new salon, your staff and your clients and let this blow over. Get your new therapist in and if there is anymore crap tell them you are getting the police involved.

Keep your chin up, this is your business, in a profession you love.
I really feel for you sat there feeling upset, massive hugs!! :hug:

Thanks everyone. Im not even going to rise to it publicly but it's tearing me apart inside. I got an email yesterday saying the person 'does not want to be associated with a salon who does not know how to treat their loyal staff. Maybe they should take an employment law and customer care course.'
I'm being attacked at all angles and I'm here on my own this morning and I feel a bit frightened.

wouldnt it be good if she submitted your reference to a potential employer and they rung you, you could let them know what her and her family are like :wink2:
Get the other therepist in and dont worry about anything else but getting on with your life and business, best of luck x

becky30,
I don't think

wouldnt it be good if she submitted your reference to a potential employer and they rung you, you could let them know what her and her family are like

that is a good idea. Firstly I don't think that bad-mouthing anyone does any good, it's just not professional, and it drags you down to their level. And secondly, my friends who work in Human Resouces/Personnel say that it is what is not said in a reference that tips them off to bad employee behaviour in the past.

So if another company ring you up to ask about X, who has been an employee-from-hell, then you just say something cryptic like "Thanks for calling, but I have given X a reference and I really don't have any more to add" or "thanks for your call but I'm sure you don't need my help to pick a member of staff !", thanks for your call but I'm sure your interview will give you all the information you need to know first hand". Then refuse to be drawn into giving any more info. If they persist, say, "I think I have given you all the information I can, now if you will excuse me, I have a client waiting for Y treatment, thank you for your call." If this is said pleasantly, with a smile on your face they will get the message.

Sorry to butt in with this I agree with the previous post , I have done reference for a nightmare employee & simply wrote xxxx is a good time keeper. The new employers get the message as you are not allowed to write anything bad even if it is true. X

Yes you cant say anything bad in a reference, however you can refuse, which pretty much says it all!

Latest posts

Back