Young Nails ManiQ & Polish mix

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waffle4

Reaction score
Hi is there anyone out there that uses the Young Nails brand? Ive been looking on their website and they've given instructions for turning nail polish into a coloured gel. Basically you mix a ratio of nail polish with "Mani Q" gel and use just like a coloured gel. I believe the Mani Q is a soak off gel is this right? Has anyone tried this method? Does it work with any old nail polish or only the higher end brands? Most importantantly, how long does the "mixture" last on the nails?????
Hope someone can help coz it sounds like a fab money saving idea to me!

Thankyou geeks xxxxx

hi i was told at a demo by therese that u use 70 % mani Q to 30% nail polish and it last just as well as any other polish gel and to put the brush on gloss the one in the tub as a top coat as if you use the finish gel it could crack as its not as flexible
you can use any nail polish with it but i think she said that essie just doesnt mix in for some reason hth :)

I tried this the other week, thought by purchasing Mani-Q it would be a great way to use up all those varnish colours that I'm not currently using.

I found it easy to apply but stupidly put a hard gel top coat on top - NSI Glaze N Go. UH-OH!!! Don't do this!!!

The only problem other than this was I thought it was quite difficult to remove (just to add I did buff off the Glaze N Go). Would be interested to hear other opinions on whether they find it easy to soak off?

Thanks geeks I currently use "the edge" soak off but thought I'd try something else............ Do you all rate YN??

Young Nails are fab and are apparently bringing our a new product soon....
Hmmmm wonder what it will be!!?????!!!:)

Hi all, I was just wondering whether this technique would work for all clear soak off gels?? Maybe you can mix any soak off gel with nail polish and none of us realise coz obv nobody's tried it???!!!!!!............................

yes it does, just cover a thin -med viscosity gel with polish and mix it. I do it with many brands. Zoya polish covers good and maintains the color, OPI doesn't it always thins out too much and the color isnt true

yes it does, just cover a thin -med viscosity gel with polish and mix it. I do it with many brands. Zoya polish covers good and maintains the color, OPI doesn't it always thins out too much and the color isnt true
Thanks Becca, when you say "cover" the gel with polish & mix it - do you mean apply the clear gel onto the finger and cure and then put the normal nailpolish ON TOP of the cured gel. Sorry I don't understand, it is very late you know lol x

I was just flicking through some old threads and there is one with youngs mixing polish into their soak off gel 50/50. Cure and they have their colured gels. I gave it a go and yes it works, Got to see how it last though. Does anyone else do this. Is it okay to do this?

can anyone explain me the chemistry part here i.e. how these two products mix together?
Afaik nail polish contains acetone and acetone is used to remove soak-off gels, so wouldn't mixing them two together harm gel's integrity/performance?

Gee .. I wonder why it took CND 5 years to invent a hybrid polish/GEL THAT REALLY WORKS WHEN ALL THEY HAD TO DO WAS MIX THE TWO TOGETHER AND VOILA they would have had Shellac??? lol lol lol

No it doesn't work and obviously it doesn't!! Have fun trying. Why not just invest in something that does?

well, I've been wearing this mixture for a few weeks now with no problems...

mixing the mani q gel with polish works great, lasts for weeks on end and works well with most polishes (that Im familar with) on the market.
You can also press a little glitter onto the top before your final cure and FINISH...Shimmering Sand (gold) ontop of a brown polish looks absolutely stunning!!!

it works great i have never had problems my students do this all the time to make colored gel. just take some mani q on a tile or form paper just something to mix it on pour polish over the gel and mix. once mixed then apply just like any other colored polish. just dont loose too much of the gel viscosity and your good. i had to do a gel chemistry class with a chemist and manufacture of a gel line and they said it does work just fine and to go ahead and have fun while doing it. if you are concerned about the cure put some on a form put it in your lamp and cure when its done peel it off and check the bottom and bend to see if it cured all the way through.

its just like anything some will say no never some have had great success. try it and see how it works for you

Thanks Becca, when you say "cover" the gel with polish & mix it - do you mean apply the clear gel onto the finger and cure and then put the normal nailpolish ON TOP of the cured gel. Sorry I don't understand, it is very late you know lol x

zoya once mixed still keeps the color of the polish as it looks in the polish bottle and has good coverage, opi goes very streaky and looses the color intensity.

Mixing a little polish with gel is nothing new -done it myself for nail art but never would have applied it as an everyday thing to clients natural nails as a polish colour ... To risky and too much waste.

On a serious note, I actually think it is a recipe for disaster down the line for client allergic reactions (and even the future of our industry) from possible overexposure to uncured gel. It is far too exact a science to give techs a free rein to mix a little of this and a little of that. I prefer to know that what I am using is super safe and hypo-allergenic and 3free and that it will cure perfectly every time. All wrapped up in a nice bottle for easy application.

Hi, I've just started using mani q and mixed it with essie and followed application intructions on young nails web site, finished with a a top coat of lumos had really good results, shellac in my opion is the best but the mani q comes a close second very happy with it.:hug:

I have been using maniq mixed with polish for a while now, the trick is to keep the application thin. Cures completely and looks lovely. Mix in some glitter and advertise as party nails, quick, easy and safe. Allergic reactions are highly unlikely. You apply polish or gel with no reaction so why would mixing the two give a higher reaction risk? It's a fun alternative. If you don't want to use it for whatever reason then don't. But all young nail lovers that I know have not had any problems and love the maniq mix.
And because you are only mixing a little at a time there is no discolouration of the gelpolish. No White turning yellow etc.
Xxx

Just got an e-mail from young nails they have launched their mani q colour collection. 18 colours !!!!! :hug:

Oh yes they have. It came through last night as I understand. Now there's a product you want to play with!!!
Now it may not be the first gel polish on the Market but it's perfect 100%
Xxx

Latest posts

Back