Young teenage workers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtimefranko

Reaction score
Rant!!!! So obviously im not tarring everyone with the same brush... but what is it with the kids nowadays?? So lazy and lack such initiative. Complete mess everywhere...... and she just sat there staring at it...!!!!!!! Blew foil all over the place with my hairdryer.... still all over the floor half hour later 😠😠😠😠😠
Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

You've gotta guide them with a firm hand lol, other than that clean it up yourself whilst stomping and crashing everything about like when ur mum gets pissed off at your dad 😂 they soon get the hint!

You've gotta guide them with a firm hand lol, other than that clean it up yourself whilst stomping and crashing everything about like when ur mum gets pissed off at your dad 😂 they soon get the hint![/QUOTE

Lol its annoying because when i started my job i was constantly looking for things to do. I mustve had the Broom out 50 times a day lol... they just seem to be looking for the next opportunity to sit down! Lolll 🙈 i was doing that earlier haha

Works a treat ;) I was like the zohan rushing around constantly when I was a junior lol I put a list of rules on my kitchen wall now spelling out what needs to be done, I'll take a pic and put in on on Monday :) number 1 is no huffing or sulking or causing atmosphere! Pmsl ;)

Hahhaa... if i ever sat down when there was stuff to be done i wouldve been told off soooo bad.... plus i just wouldnt let that happen! I love the no sulking rule haha

Have just taken on my 1st Saturday girl, she was one of my level 1 hair students and is about to start her level 2. I get loads of girls ask for Saturday jobs but prefer to have a student as at least they have basic knowledge, some customer care insight and an interest in the industry so want to learn. She is lovely but at the mo needs me to guide her on everything I Need her to do from washing up tint bowls to asking clients of they want a drink. Once she has the direction she is fine and gets on with it. It's only week 2 so I think she is still very shy and nervous as she is just 16 but hopefully give her a few more weeks and she will be fine.

Sometimes it's harder work having someone else as you have to constantly check on them but I'm hoping she makes my life easier now we are starting to get busier. Need to get her over her fear of answering the phone though, she is terrified!

You just need to chuck her in the deep end with that i think lol. That's what happened with me... just make sure she takes phone numbers. I understand people need direction at first... but when its right there in front of your face? Come onnnn. So frustrating 🙈

See I am the only apprentice and I have seen many apprentices do this. And stylist for that matter. My salon is always fully booked and I am the only apprentice. I am able to do basic surface cleaning in 5 mins of the entire salon excluding filled seats.

What I do is remove trolleys, tea clips, mags and Eby thing to that sort. Spray all stations. Then wipe all stations (it soaks for a few seconds removing cup stains) then sweep. I treat it like a dance really.

If I see a comb fall I swoop it up. My downfall is that dishes end up stacking because I have to do reception. But maybe if you show them that kind of order they will get it. Sometimes the apprenticeship can feel hard and they can feel like they are the only one doing anything so maybe explain that cleaning is training to get you to pay attention to detail. A clean salon is a happy salon.

Also being young, he/she is probably use to being looked after, not cleaning up etc. I know I was!

I was once asked to mop the floor & went about it, and pissed the owner off who told me to leave it and she would do it. Purely as id never had to mop up before, a stylist shown me how the next week.

I was probably just soaking the floor 😂.

We all have to start somewhere... As the others have said point stuff out, "oh my foils have blown on the floor, could you pick them up please"

Then later on id add accidents happen all the time like the foil situation, if you notice anything knocked/dropped/spilt on the floor would you be able to sort it out, save a client falling/tripping whilst keeping the salon looking clean & tidy!

Sounds obvious, to see something fall to pick it up, and some people are just lazy, but they may also just be abit naive.

Xx

I worked in a non beauty job last year and it was exactly the same there! Every single one of them did everything possible to get out of cleaning up etc. I don't get it when I was 16 I was doing everything possible to impress my boss lol xxx

Those darn kids. Does this mean we are old?

Have to stick up for the kids here... we had a lovely girl (17-18 ish) who worked in the shop above the therapy room I rent. She was keen, hardworking and eager to learn. Sure she got some bits wrong but it was down to inexperience, you couldn't fault her attitude. She was lovely and now works in a spa in another part of the country :)

I will say mind I've had 4 under 19 year olds work in my shop so far, 2 have been employed (apprentice) they were as above clueless etc, but my 15 year old son & 15 year old niece are awesome! I think it could be because the shop is "ours" so they take a bit more pride in it maybe? The others would just sit on their butts even when they'd been there for ages & knew how the shop is run, they used to get the slamming around treatment 😂 then they'd get off their butts!

Soooo a girl has sent a message to our facebook page... "got any jobs i can do.... ill do anything.... am i any good to you?" And after we didn't reply to her million messages straight away we got.... "bit rude!" LOL. erm. I would never dream of applying for a job in this manner lol

Lol well at least she's tenacious haha! I've just been offered a new apprentice from another provider... I'm soooo not ready for this, their so pushy in the training centre so I offered them a meeting, urgh not sure I want the headache of another young one again at the mo!

What are the regs on having a 15 year old (my niece) work through the summer hols? Anyone know?

They are alot of stress it seems. Not all of them.... just all the ones i come across haha. She can but so many hours? Sorry thats no help lol x

I find some of their manner atrocious as well.

Had a girl leave an answer phone message but it wasn't the most positive sounding not message. I thought maybe she doesn't like leaving messages. Give her the benefit of the doubt.

Called her back. Apologised for missing her name on the message (she mumbled and spoke quickly) she said her name with force and sounded arsey that I had interrupted her.
I asked what sort of things shed expect to do (I've never had a work experience girl before) the reply was a typical teenage wha-eva.
She didn't seem to have very good inter personal skills on the phone.

Then looked on her Facebook. And there was a curse every other word out up.

Spoke to the training provider to ask about what's expected of work experience. The training provider had told me the girl had had over 9 months to find a work placement.

Alarm bells!!

Luckily I checked my insurance. And I hadn't taken employer liability out!!!

Get out of jail free card!!

Lol i have one girl with me on a saturday whos about 19 and all she does is play on her phone (shes a relation to the owner, awkward!) She doesnt do anything even when its right in front of her.... one time i knocked a load of foils all over the floor, i had my hands full on a very busy saturday.... she didnt pick them up or anything just sat there and stared at me. Weird....

Lol i have one girl with me on a saturday whos about 19 and all she does is play on her phone (shes a relation to the owner, awkward!) She doesnt do anything even when its right in front of her.... one time i knocked a load of foils all over the floor, i had my hands full on a very busy saturday.... she didnt pick them up or anything just sat there and stared at me. Weird....

This story has obviously stuck with me as i have repeated myself in the first post

I just find it hard work to keep repeating the same list of jobs that need doing and they still don't get done, I have my niece in on Saturdays & she's great, but the apprentices are hard work, I have big colourful signs on the wall out the back with everything they have to do (thinking if they see it enough times it'll stick in their brains) and still they don't do it all! I'm a real pusher of how much their valued within the team and how they keep us stylists going but they still manage to sit around while stuff needs doing, I end up slamming and banging around then and they'll get up and do stuff, but it shouldn't be like that, it's head work lol, I never ever sat down when I was a junior! I've had 2 full time ones go through here I'm not sure I have the brain capacity to do it again! I have a good one on Thursdays from college tho :) so I'm not saying their all bad lol

Latest posts

Back