Your biggest bug-bear in a salon!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrobinson

Reaction score
and all professionals too i guess!
I would like to know, what is your biggest bug bear about visiting the salon?......anything!

I hate going into a salon and the entire salon stop and look you up and down!
It's happened a couple of times to me and i just about-turned and walked out!

Yes I agre. I am proud that is something we don't do and make a concious effort not to in our salon
Posted via Mobile Device

Yes I agree, I hate that! And I hate feeling like I have to make an effort to look good and do my make-up to get my hair done or go to the beauticians. And the stylist not talking or looking grumpy!x

Grumpy stylists that talk to each other instead of the client and are rude to the juniors. That is a pet peeve of mine when they talk to them like rubbish hate that. Snobbery and tartyness. What I love about a salon is friendly faces, good coffee and a chat. Oh and obviously a great hair do. xxxx

I totally agree with all the comments up above, I am a great believer in "Treat people as to how you would like to be treated", but sadly this is a rarity, I too have turned and walked out of many salons after being looked up and down and made to feel an inconvenience or stylists bad mouthing work collegues.
I feel a Genuine Smile and a warm welcome are worth their weight in gold!

Sue xx

I am a loyal weekly client for my hair and have been for 30 years ... no matter what, I have my hair washed and blown every single week and colour and cut as and when my stylist tells me. I WANT my stylist to tell me rather than me having to ask my stylist WHEN. I told her the day I first went to her 14 years ago ... that I wanted her to look after me and keep my hair looking good always and that I didn't want to have to think about when to colour or cut it (that washer job). She has done just that.

Personally I like to be looked at and acknowledged when I walk into the salon .. not in a Diva like way, but I like a cheery hello and if they are running late for any reason (rare) to be told and generally treated like a person and not like (my 3:00 o-clock or 'my lady'). I am a person and I have a name I am not an appointment time or an anonymous 'lady'.

When I ran my own salons it was a sackable offense :lol: for anyone to refer to a client as an appointment time or 'my lady'. I think people like to be acknowledged for who they are and remembered from one appointment to the next. Nothing worse in my opinion than another stylist or recptionist saying, "Sue, your lady's/your 3:00 o-clock is here!!!

Now that I can view things from a slightly more 'Informed' standpoint, I would say it's having been 'Short changed' in terms of the service I've sometimes received over the years. The therapist has over run her time before I've arrived/wants to go home a bit earlier and has, as a consequence, attempted to cut short whatever I was paying for or not been as thorough as she should.

There is a fine line between skimping on a service and being cost effective. :)

I hate lateness! Not just in a salon but in every aspect of life - no one seems to value anyone elses time. They seem to think they are the most important person in the world.

My husband is the opposite to me and it causes so many problems because he turns up late to let me away for meetings etc and it drives me crazy.

At the salon I go to they open at 9.30 and my appointment is generally 9.30 - how can they be ready at 9.30 if they only arrive at 9.30. I dont mind when my appointment is as long as it happens at the appointed time.

Same with my clients. I have one in particular who is always 10-15 minutes late - she makes an appointment for 2 then comes at 2.15 - I said to her once would you like me to make your appointment 2.15 and she said yes, that would be better so yes, you guessed it, she comes at 2.30!

I am lucky in some respects that I dont have the clients to run back to back so I dont have people waiting but is my time worth nothing!

When I was in that situation, if someone was late then they maybe couldnt have a full service - ie. maybe they couldnt have their varnish - I wasnt prepared to keep my next client, who was on time, waiting.

But time keeping is just my major bugbear - I am sure regular early birds are other peoples bugbears LOL.

I really hate it when you go into a salon and for whatever reason you just feel uncomfortable and you can't wait to get out of there. I think its really hard to find a place that makes you feel like a valued client and makes the experience a relaxing and enjoyable one. The little things that your therapist/stylist/tech remembers inbetween your appointments that are specific to you make all the difference in the world.

For example, I am deaf and I cannot wear a traditional hearing aid, mine is attached to my skull. I have a titanium screw for the aid to anchor to with a skin graft surrounding it, so it is a sensitive area. My hair stylist always remembers to discretely inform the shampoo assistant to be careful not to accidently hurt me. The fact that I don't have to repeatedly inform them of this means a great deal to me.

anne xx

Last edited:
I don't like the "hard sell", I don't like too much faffing and fussing....I hate when you go to a salon and love everything about it.....and then they change the things you loved...like that they used to give you a proper mug of tea....then swap to fancy tea's served in a tea cup with saucer....and replace the magazines with flat screen tv's showing nothing but adverts....or when the comfy chair you used to sit in has been replaced with a remote control vibrating machine that uses more brain power to use than my tv remote....:lol:

Some people like a fancy cup and lots of flashy mod cons....i like simple and consistent.

I cannot abide it when I arrive at a salon and the receptionist is having a social 'chit chat' with another staff member or on the phone, leaving me waiting until they are done or can manage to break their conversation just to acknowledge me.

Lack of hygiene/cleanliness

Therapists that stink of fags

Therapists that constantly gossip about other people throughout your entire treatment (especially when they tell you that someone is dying of cancer and that someone happens to be a good friend - turned out it was not true)

Bad management that like to 'reprimand' their staff in front of other staff and clients. It's not clever and makes you look a arse - do it in private.

These are about all the bad experiences I have had in salons. Can we do a thread about all the good stuff now please as I need to balance my karma!

I hate salons where the sift the backside of you for all your business. Once I was asked what I did for a living, where I worked, how much I earned there and was told I was daft for not opening up on my own. I was only in for an eyebrow wax, then she told my I had funny eyebrows. As you can imagine I never went back.

The salons that look you up and down.

Or

The salons where they take no notice of you whatsoever

dirty salons. I went into one recently to enquire about non surgical facelift (we dont do it) and it was yucky. I didnt book , took a pricelist and left. There is no excuse for a dirty salon.

Where do I begin.

1. When you walk in an empty salon and there's a group of staff huddle around talking and they say they can't fit you at anytime at all as they're fully booked.

2. When they start with the hard sell after a facial

3. When you're having a relaxing treatment and the therapist insists on talking all the way through about her boyfriend troubles

4. When they cut the treatment time short as if we're too stupid to notice

5. When the salon is grubby

Staff eating in the salon! Instead of staff room/kitchen not only does it not look nice it makes the salon smell of food.

Unpleasent people....in any part of life there is just no need for it, there's nothing more pleasent than a smile!

Dirty salons...and not just because i'm a hygiene freak, there's just no need for it not to be kept on top of and especially with some of the treatments salons offer it should be a top priority.

I always think you should remember your regulars names or even if they have only been a handful of times i find that clients really love the fact that i've remembered them and things they've told me.

Staff who smell of smoke or who's fingers do! i don't smoke nor do i want to pay for a treatment and have to smell smoke on somebody else for the privilege :irked:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back