Your method of applying gel nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MummyCat

Reaction score
As the title says...and by Gel, I don't mean gel polish. I mean your hard gel or soak off gel (Brisa, Lite any other gel).

Do you prefer the 3 zones method or the logging method? Or any other method?

I tried 3 sections but always put too much or too less so mostly ended up 2 or even 1 section, then tried logging method and loved the end result but don't last 😔 x

I do three stage but not zones, is this logging? I do a thin first layer, and cure, then a thicker layer building the apex, and cure, then a third thick layer again the same as the second, and cure then cleanse wipe. But this is only with clear gel as that's all I use at the moment with tips or to sculpt.

As the title says...and by Gel, I don't mean gel polish. I mean your hard gel or soak off gel (Brisa, Lite any other gel).

Do you prefer the 3 zones method or the logging method? Or any other method?

Hello mummy cat, what is logging? I haven't heard this term before. It sounds interesting, one of my trainers referred to one technique as snotting.
I have tried the three zone technique and got into a bit of a mess. I was told to apply a thin base layer, then a layer mainly in the centre of the nail then hold hand upside down to self level and develop the apex.

Do you freeze before curing as some people recommend this to prevent pooling in the side walls. I'm fairly new to the nail industry and love to hear other people's advice.

Hello mummy cat, what is logging? I haven't heard this term before. It sounds interesting, one of my trainers referred to one technique as snotting.
I have tried the three zone technique and got into a bit of a mess. I was told to apply a thin base layer, then a layer mainly in the centre of the nail then hold hand upside down to self level and develop the apex.

Do you freeze before curing as some people recommend this to prevent pooling in the side walls. I'm fairly new to the nail industry and love to hear other people's advice.

Hi there,

Logging is basically when you apply one "log" of gel throughout the centre/length of the nail and then feather towards the sidewalls (avoiding the skin, of course). It sounds similar to how you're applying.

Which gel are you using?

Does anyone know if the holding the hand upside down work work Brisa?

I tried 3 sections but always put too much or too less so mostly ended up 2 or even 1 section, then tried logging method and loved the end result but don't last 😔 x

Mine aren't lasting very long either...that's one of the reasons I started this thread.

My L+P nails last much longer...but I'm not allowed to use it in the salon I work in...so I'm really trying to perfect my gels x

I do three stage but not zones, is this logging? I do a thin first layer, and cure, then a thicker layer building the apex, and cure, then a third thick layer again the same as the second, and cure then cleanse wipe. But this is only with clear gel as that's all I use at the moment with tips or to sculpt.

Which gel are you using? x

Yep I log although trained in zones but just don't get on with it.
and freeze cure esp in summer/warm weather
and sometimes hold hand upside down

I use NSI balance gel which is fab, never had a problem with it in 10 years.

Mine aren't lasting very long either...that's one of the reasons I started this thread.

My L+P nails last much longer...but I'm not allowed to use it in the salon I work in...so I'm really trying to perfect my gels x

Whys that? Gel won't suit everyone I snap gel all the time- and I find it much harder than acrylic :-/ mine alway look flat and kind of sad lol

Reactions: TPB
Whys that? Gel won't suit everyone I snap gel all the time- and I find it much harder than acrylic :-/ mine alway look flat and kind of sad lol

do you use a builder gel and build in an arch? Nobody can tell the difference between my gels and acrylics just by looking at them, they look the same.

do you use a builder gel and build in an arch? Nobody can tell the difference between my gels and acrylics just by looking at them, they look the same.

Can't quite get the hang of it. I'm still very new to enhancements but find acrylic easier- probably as I can file away any mistakes 😬😬 newbie alert lol! I'm trying nsi balance- builder and clear. And Gelish hard gel which I find so sticky?! All comes with practise I hope!

I rent a space in a hair salon and one of the agreements we made was that I wouldn't use any products that smell too strong...so, hence why I don't use L+P.

And yes, I agree. Gels don't suit everyone.

I'd love to find a monomer that doesn't smell strong and I've read Geeg's advice on how to reduce the smell, but no matter how much I try, it does smell and the salon owner/staff/clients really wouldn't like it.

And besides, I've invested lots into doing gel that I need to use it all now.

Oh what a shame. I'm sure in it doesn't have much impact, shame for you however not to have the option. You will be the gel queen then :)

Mummycat I use gelish hard gel clear builder gel. I also prime before applying the gel too. I've never heard of the term logging but gather that's my method so I've learnt something new!

Weird!! I was about to post the same question! I got told to firstly paint on a a thick layer in small circular movements then do the tip then the stress area and build it up but when I watched the NSI video it showed you to just paint on the first layer and kind of paint the rest on? I watch NAIO nail video on YouTube and she dose the same! But wouldn't this make the nail flat? I'm so confused?

No more suggestions??

Hi there,

Logging is basically when you apply one "log" of gel throughout the centre/length of the nail and then feather towards the sidewalls (avoiding the skin, of course). It sounds similar to how you're applying.

Which gel are you using?

Does anyone know if the holding the hand upside down work work Brisa?

I use ASP and naio gels. I was first taught to do it in zones but found this didn't have the right effect. I then was taught the way that you described by putting the long piece of gel in the middle and feathering to the sides. But I was then taught that as soon as you get the desired shape you turn the hand upside down to draw the excess gel back to the apex, then freeze the right way up for 5-10 seconds, before starting the second.

I did use the gellux hard gel and it was absolutely shocking. It's so thick that when you dip your brush in the whole pot then attaches itself to the brush. As for the gellux shiny top coat, it's so runny that it runs before you get a chance to freeze but the brush goes hard the minute you take it out of the bottle. Absolute poppycock.

Naio gels are really good for their ease and control. However they are very small pots and do set very quickly if there is the slightest bit of sunlight even in the pot.

I usually use young Nails synergy gel and use the log method and thought it was great until I started using Brisa... It is very user friendly and the nails you create with this gel are simply beautiful.

I use NSI Balance and the logging method. After prep I apply my first layer really thin and sort of "push" it into the nail to aid adhesion. Cure that layer then do another thicker layer, down the centre feathering to the side walls. I then check by looking along the nail and looking from the side. If it looks too flat I apply another small amount of gel to create the apex, just before the nail meets the tip to just over back to front then side to side along where the tip meets the nail in sort of a small cross shape (hope this part makes sense!) and allow it self level and take the required shape and then cure. Another layer of gel, remove the tacky layer and apply thin top coat of Finish Clear gel. You can buff the gel before the top coat if you need to refine the shape, but I have never needed to using this method.

HTH x

I use the logging method too and have for years, but if the zoning method is more effective and longer-lasting then I might try that out. xx

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back