Your staff style?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atomic

Reaction score
Whilst I am no longer in a salon it's something I've always thought about!

When I started at my first salon, they were never keen for any of the staff to have "natural" hair, nor were they allowed to not wear make up - we had to been seen as wearing make up. Whilst I love wild hair and make up others prefered their natural look, which sometimes cause issues between the manager and staff. We were also only allowed to use products that we used in the salon. (understandably, but I do hold Crazy Colors dear!)

Then when I was interviewed for another salon, he decided he liked me on the spot. I was so excited, until he told me to "drop the goth look" (I wear dark eyeliner!) and we'd have to lighten my hair :irked: I actually refused to work with him as I didnt want to loose my individuality. Needless to say, 90% of his staff are platinum blonde.

Do you have rules in your salon?

I have only ever worked in an Afro salon & we had no rules. I am planning on going mobile but I would hate to be told how I was to have my hair & makeup. I fully understand that as a hairdresser our hair should be well maintained & keeping up with the latest styles ect but I don't really like colour in my hair so would refuse point blank. As long as your clean & hair is maintained nicely then I thought that would have been more important & the fact that you are good at your job.

A reflection of their personality is encouraged among my staff. I feel a stylist should be advertising the industry and inspiring their clients through the way they look themselves. I have told staff to go and put some make up on as they look like they've rolled out of a bush - Ive also sent staff home to change if they looked shabby.
May sound harsh, but we are selling ourselves as much as our services so our looks are a large portion of what we do.
xx

JoJo I totally agree. There have been times ive seen people come in like theyve not even been home from the night before and with that i absolutely agree.

Jojo I agree, individuality is great but they are representing your salon....
It's called taking a pride ;-)

I think stylists should have their hair immaculate! Lol and in different styles all the time. They are a walking advertisement! Lol x

I have had this experience i loved my natural hair and when i started out in a salon they told me i had to have colour on my hair i said i did not want to but they said i had to for a job

:-( i gave in and of course hated it

I now have cut my hair myself to get rid of some of the colour and going to grow it out it has defintely put me off working in salon.

I have had this experience i loved my natural hair and when i started out in a salon they told me i had to have colour on my hair i said i did not want to but they said i had to for a job

I now have cut my hair myself to get rid of some of the colour and going to grow it out it has defintely put me off working in salon.

Really? Give up your job because they wanted you to make an effort to look like a hairdresser? You couldn't try another colou, find something more suited to you? And cutting your own hair? Seems a bit extreme! Lol

;)

I had very good well maintained hair with different styles that i use to wear actually they said i needed to be more funky, well am sorry funky is not me and no i hate colour on my hair so me cutting my hair is to get rid of it quicker.

And they didnt ask me they pressured me to do it, why would i want to work with these people who obvouisly didnt care for me.

Really? Give up your job because they wanted you to make an effort to look like a hairdresser? You couldn't try another colou, find something more suited to you? And cutting your own hair? Seems a bit extreme! Lol

;)

Have to agree here. If you show no confidence in your own industry, how can you inpire it in the ones who you expect it from i.e your clients?
I would never cut my own hair, nor colour it anything beyond the use of a toner.

I am only sharing my experience for the question asked, i dont agree this is a good way to work.

And dont feel i should look a certain way only my self. That gives me confidence

that's a real shame, I hate being pressured into something, do you have any photo's it'd be interesting to see. xx

I am only sharing my experience for the question asked, i dont agree this is a good way to work.

Fair enough. I do feel that we should all experience being "a client" on a regular basis. It gives us the opportunity to see things from the most important point of view. As I client, I would be unnerved if my stylist didnt have any confidence in hairdressers and cut and coloured their own hair....
Just sayin
x

I dont colour my own hair, never have

I am now growing this colour out because i dont not want it or like it i love my natural colour.

And i cut it for ease of mind for me because i felt low to see my long hair ruined with coloured i did not want, No one has noticed that it wasnt some one else i know what am doing.

I am now growing this colour out because i dont not want it or like it i love my natural colour.

And i cut it for ease of mind for me because i felt low to see my long hair ruined with coloured i did not want, No one has noticed that it wasnt some one else i know what am doing.

Try not to get wound up THair, it is important that stylists look good and a lot of people replying are salon owners with ears of experience in employing people. Show us a photo, it would be good to see things from your point of view.xx

I never presumed you didnt hun :hug: I just have no idea how you would cut it effectively - though Ive never tried myself.
Is your hair long or short?
Would love to see a pic!
xx

Got no pictures
And wouldnt have a clue how to upload if i did

And dont worry am not getting wound up
Am just trying to express that from a 19 year old first job in salon the pressure and the remarks reallyl put you down

I do feel more confident with natural hair and yeah it was long past my chest now shoulder length.

I mean am not some ugly monster that needed it but you know funky just aint me

:)

A salon I used to work in also pressurised me into having certain colours on my hair. I'm in my early 50s and they wanted me to have some pink or blue buts in it!! NO WAY.
Their blond in my hair also dried it out a lot. I've now not been with them for 2 years and its only recently that my is back to normal condition. It's still fair in colour but not as blonde as they wanted it. It's my hair and my choice. If they don't like it, tough!

Got no pictures
And wouldnt have a clue how to upload if i did

And dont worry am not getting wound up
Am just trying to express that from a 19 year old first job in salon the pressure and the remarks reallyl put you down

I do feel more confident with natural hair and yeah it was long past my chest now shoulder length.

I mean am not some ugly monster that needed it but you know funky just aint me

:)

And thats your personal style. Nothing wrong with that. You may well have beautiful glossy natural hair that would be a sin to colour!
I think that as long as you make the effort and make the most of what you have, then that is all thats required.
I dont think that you have to have pink and blue hair to be respected as a hairdresser - far from it, but I do think its advantageous to be personally sporting the techniques you are selling to your clients.
With regards to make up - its a MUST for me and my staff. Spots and blemishes just dont do it for me :-/
Clothing wise - I could be wearing a suit one day, and sporting a military look the next, but Its important that however me and my staff decide to express our style, that it is a polished and thought out look.
xx

Latest posts

Back