Your views please .

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just adore dogs!!!! Every shape and size (except Poodles - don't know why!) I'm sure as all the other girls have said that your pooch being there would not be a problem. God bless the people who train these dogs to help you out - fascinating.

I've got a Boxer pup called Smudge - she sometimes lies under my table when doing nails!!! Smell doesn't seem to bother her at all and she keeps my clients feet warm.:p Her alterior motive is waiting for the kettle to go on and the biscuits to come out so she can mooch with those sad eyes - not daft are they?

Cheers Dawnie and all the best to you, Mullie and your new home salon. x

I have 100% admiration for these working dogs and their trainers, especially since trying to train my dogs LOL.

We have just had a similar situation at work where by a member of staff with a hearing impairment decided to have a hearing dog to help her with her day to day life. This of course meant that the dog had to come to work. At first we had to look into all the H&S implications and of course allergies etc (its a large office environment).

Everything was passed and cleared and the dog has been employed now for 9 months with no problems (except he is spoilt rotten and has a permenent supply of doggy treats for when he 'clocks off' LOL). During the working day he sits on his rug and doesnt move, it is very easy to forget he is there.

For those clients who have allergies we were told that there is a spray or wipes which can be used on the dog which keeps the dander down.

Best wishes, I'm sure you will be fine I for one would have no problem with Mullie.

awwww I bet he is lovely. Perhaps you could have him sit just outside of the room with the door open if know one else is in the house. I know very occasionally clients can be frightened of dogs no matter how much we know they are fine. I have a dog and he usually likes to sleep on my bed anyway when I have clients. I always ask when I open the door to a new client if they mind dogs and they say no and ask to see him he loves all the attention. I dont let him in the treatment room as I prefer not to, but for you it is different you need him for a good reason so I am sure clients would understand that. Those that are dog lovers I wouldnt see them having a problem with it. I only have one client that is scared of dogs so I just make sure when she is coming and I get the door that he is shut away. I suppose this would be the main thing to check just before the client comes in and just explain the reason that you need him there. If it was me I would love it animals actually have a calming effect on most humans to and make you cheerfull. lol. Hope that you can have him there with you hun.

xx

Hi Dawie,

I agree with everyone else and certainly wouldn't have a problem with Mullie at all.

I do hate it when I go to friends houses and they let thier animals jump and slobber all over you, but I know 'seeing' and 'hearing' dogs are amazingly well behaved.

I think you may have a problem with everyone smudging their nice new nail varnish on his lovely coat tho with all the patting that's gonna be going on!!! lol :D

Best wishes,

Karen
xxx

I would have no prob's with Mullie being there ;)
I am sure clients would have no probs with him being there.

Mullie's trainer is coming tomorrow for his yearly visit they come to make sure he is working to the sounds and behaving in the shops...........so will have a chat with her about it I know there is no problem with hearing dogs going to work with you as they are also trained for this..............she will prob advise me that when the salon is finished fingers crossed should be within the next couple of weeks that she will come back and train him to a corner in the room that will be his space...he will stay there all day if he knows he gets a treat at the end of it lol..thanks girls for all your help you are a good lot xxxxxx

Take care

Dawnie xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I think that it is absolutely fine and professional to have your hearing dog with you for a treatment (i think a lot of clients will enjoy having her there!) but i would be clear to new clients BEFORE they come that she will be around, because some people can be very phobic about dogs or allergic. And it's no good finding that out when they arrive!

It might be a nice "extra" to provide people with some information on hearing dogs for the deaf - i think a lot of people would find that interesting. Up to you though.

YogaCat - that is a very good idea to have info about hearing dogs available.

Cathy

I have had a couple of bad experiences with dogs which has made me very nervous around them, I'm more of a cat person!

However if I was made aware that Mullie was there and that she was fine and wouldn't jump up at me (that scares the hell out of me!) I wouldn't have a problem with it at all. It may help someone who's nervous to let them get to know Mullie for 5 min's before you start the treatment, I know this would have me settled and more than happy.

She's there for a reason and thats to assist you and if the client is not fine with that then you can do without them.

I agree with Yogacat that having leaflets there will be a really good idea, it will give the client chance to learn a bit more about what she's there for.

Hi Dawnie,

How did it go with Mullie's trainer? I know it was a little while ago but it would be nice to know how you and mullie are getting on.

Stacey

Sorry must have missed this one.

Update :)

It's fine for Mullie to be in the room H&S wise he is there to do a job. Mullies trainer worked with me for an hour or so and he has his own spot in the salon and he is as good as gold (as I knew he would be) only problem is My tips have gone down as Mullie gets all the pressies lol, I f a client does have a problem then I leave him upstairs and the client has to be my ears :).

I also have info on hearing dogs at hand for the customer to read up on as they are allways looking for sponsors for new hearing dogs as its cost a fortune to train them up and pay staff for ongoing visits and training ect.

Here is the link to hearing dogs if anyone wants to have a butchers
http://www.hearing-dogs.co.uk/

Thanks girls for all your help on this one.

Take care Dawnie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Well like the title says I really don't like dogs, or cats to be perfectly honest. I am very uncomfortable around them and they seem to sense it with me by always coming up to me and licking my toes (dogs) or sitting on my lap (cats) which I hate so much.

However, I would not have a problem with a 'hearing' dog or a 'blind' dog as long as they didnt lick my toes :( Seriously Dawnie tho, a well behaved dog wouldnt put me off if I was totally assured it was indeed well behaved. I have met one or two 'blind' dogs and they are very well behaved, I guess they have to be or they wouldn't be much use to the owner.

I don't know where my dislike for these animals come from, my mum had 3 dogs at one point and she lives away, well one xmas she was coming for a few days and she obvioulsy couldnt leave the dogs alone at home so she was bringing them, it really spoilt my xmas. The poor dogs did nothing wrong, and didnt get under the feet, but I just can't take to them. My brother never calls as his Jack Russel is made to stay in his car if he visited, I don't like them jumping on my furniture either :(

Anway I digress.... if you will all forgive me... I cannot help this aversion.... but to the topic in hand... I wouldnt have a problem with your hearing doggy as long as he was kept at a little distance (tonge length away at least!).

Please don't strike me down peeps for not being a dog lover will you, I am still a kind person and wouldnt harm them whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaa......

I would have no problem at all with this and I am allergic to dogs, I would just take one of my anti-hitamines before I came for treatment. xx

JCS said:
Well like the title says I really don't like dogs, or cats to be perfectly honest. I am very uncomfortable around them and they seem to sense it with me by always coming up to me and licking my toes (dogs) or sitting on my lap (cats) which I hate so much.

However, I would not have a problem with a 'hearing' dog or a 'blind' dog as long as they didnt lick my toes :( Seriously Dawnie tho, a well behaved dog wouldnt put me off if I was totally assured it was indeed well behaved. I have met one or two 'blind' dogs and they are very well behaved, I guess they have to be or they wouldn't be much use to the owner.

I don't know where my dislike for these animals come from, my mum had 3 dogs at one point and she lives away, well one xmas she was coming for a few days and she obvioulsy couldnt leave the dogs alone at home so she was bringing them, it really spoilt my xmas. The poor dogs did nothing wrong, and didnt get under the feet, but I just can't take to them. My brother never calls as his Jack Russel is made to stay in his car if he visited, I don't like them jumping on my furniture either :(

Anway I digress.... if you will all forgive me... I cannot help this aversion.... but to the topic in hand... I wouldnt have a problem with your hearing doggy as long as he was kept at a little distance (tonge length away at least!).

Please don't strike me down peeps for not being a dog lover will you, I am still a kind person and wouldnt harm them whaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaa......

Strike you down for what???? Having a particular preference??? Don't feel bad -- everybody has there owns views on everything...for example, I don't like butterflies....No matter how beautiful people say they are...ECK!!

No problem at all with Mullie Dawn, in fact I think dogs always tend to bring out the AAAAAHHHH factor, and people warm to them very quickly.
My partner and I intend to run the London marathon next year, (wanted to do it this year but fell down stairs and snapped the tendons in my upper arch), and our chosen charities are hearing dogs for the hard of hearing, guide dogs for the blind, and cancer research,,,,,,,,got one heck of a lot of money to raise!!

Regards, and a pat for Mullie,

Christine

When I do my Mum's nails her dog Zak (massive big Golden Retriever has to sit under my table). I don't mind cos I love him to bits. I thought the smells would turn him off but they don't. The only thing is, I have to stop my Mum giving him a rub mid treatment, otherwise I spend half the time sanitising her again and again and again.

I think it all depends on the client, you would have to ensure they didn't have pets of their own who might not like the fact that another animal is coming into the house. Territories and all that!

Christine G said:
No problem at all with Mullie Dawn, in fact I think dogs always tend to bring out the AAAAAHHHH factor, and people warm to them very quickly.
My partner and I intend to run the London marathon next year, (wanted to do it this year but fell down stairs and snapped the tendons in my upper arch), and our chosen charities are hearing dogs for the hard of hearing, guide dogs for the blind, and cancer research,,,,,,,,got one heck of a lot of money to raise!!

Regards, and a pat for Mullie,

Christine

Hi Christine

Sorry to hear about your tendons must be murder for you if you are a runner thank you so much for thinking of Hearing dogs for one of your charitys every bit helps to get some more Mullies in the making lol you never know I might even be running along side you :) I have been thinking about it for next year I used to run a lot 10K and half marathons but have been lazy the last few years so you have given me some inspiration to get my a...e in gear lol

Take care Dawnie xxx

Take care

I don't mean to sound daff as you would say but are talking about your dog in treatment room where you service your clients it would not bother me in the slightest but it really not about what we like it about making the costumer feel comfortable i have a dog and a cat and i have a home base business and i have a costumer that is deafly afraid of cat so i can relate both sides

I dont think anyone would have a problem with him being there- actually I think most people would love it.

The only thing I would be concerned about is letting new clients know he will be there incase they are allergic, before they get to yours as some people are highly allergic (like me :cry: I cant even be in the same room as cats and dogs) other than that I think it will be fine :green:

Dawnie said:
As you all know I have my hearing dog Mullie..............I was working in a salon but am now just in the middle of doing a home salon now my question is how would you feel as a customer if there was a hearing dog in the same room as you while having your treatments as his job is to alert me to the sounds I need to hear...........and also if anyone knows of a reason why he should not be there due to health and safty ect

Thanks for your help
Dawnie xxxxxxxxx
sorry that i misread the question it would not bother me at all but there are some client out there that would hate it so let them know and the should be OK with it sooooo sorry about the other post

Latest posts

Back