Your views please .

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawnie

Reaction score
As you all know I have my hearing dog Mullie..............I was working in a salon but am now just in the middle of doing a home salon now my question is how would you feel as a customer if there was a hearing dog in the same room as you while having your treatments as his job is to alert me to the sounds I need to hear...........and also if anyone knows of a reason why he should not be there due to health and safty ect

Thanks for your help
Dawnie xxxxxxxxx

Hi, I don't see a problem with it at all if he is well behaved! I think there is something to do with animals in health and safety, but to be honest I'm not sure what it is and I think hearing and seeing dogs are exempt. I could be right off the mark though!

Hi Dawnie,
as a customer I certainly would not see a problem unless he was holding the sculpting brush or the scrubfresh pad LOL.

Sorry, seriously I would not have a problem with him as a customer - but best get the health and safety information from his health point of view as well as generally.

I am just so proud of you and how you have come on in the industry - you are a tonic to us all. I hope that does not sound condescending as it is certainly not meant to.

Dawnie....Hi
It would not bother me in the slightest. Not a bit!
Yes, Im no great fan of doggies in general but one would imagine Mullie to be expertly and rigourously trained and so in effect would perhaps not have the traits and excitable behaviour of some dogs!
Thats my view on it anyway!
I would have thought, as he is your hearing companion, he would be exempt from Health and Safety issues...however Im sure someone can be more specific on this one!
:Kissing:

it wouldnt bother me at all , and i would have thought the health & safety issue would probably be exempt due to it being a hearing dog , :D

Well having met Mullie I can vouch for his excellent behaviour :biggrin:
I dont know if its because Im an animal lover anyway but, I find it kind of restful & reassuring having him in the room.
To be honest, I also see him as an extension of you and Im sure most of you clients do too, and the new ones ... they will just love him!

I can't see any reason why someone would object :D

Unless they were allergic to dogs, or seriously unsettled by them - but I know some people who are seriously upset by cotton wool and that's in the salon too :lol:

I'd probably spend most of my time wanting to pet Mullie :D

naturalnails said:
Hi Dawnie,
as a customer I certainly would not see a problem unless he was holding the sculpting brush or the scrubfresh pad LOL.

Sorry, seriously I would not have a problem with him as a customer - but best get the health and safety information from his health point of view as well as generally.

I am just so proud of you and how you have come on in the industry - you are a tonic to us all. I hope that does not sound condescending as it is certainly not meant to.

Oh Bless you Fiona thank you we must get together for that coffee one day and Mullie stays well clear of the desk he dont like the smell lol bless.

Hope to c u soon
Dawnie xxxxxxxxxx

Hi hun, I would not be offended whatsoever by a hearing dog in the room! If hes anything like other hearing dogs i have met you wouldnt even know he's there. Rather have a room full of hearing dogs than a room full of children!! LOL. Good luck Dawnie xx

Hi Dawnie, same as the others I wouldn't be in the slightest bit bothered by a hearing dog in the room...infact the opposite , I would want him there with you as I would know you (and he) would be happier then... good luck to you with your plans :hug: xxx

I am sure I read in a training manual that hearing and gudedogs are allowed into the salon.

I wouldn't have a problem either - in fact as a dog lover (my mum has 2 black labradors which I am completely potty about!) I would love to get my nails done whilst having a dog in the room! Having a dog around really relaxes me.

Dawnie

Not a problem at all, keep us posted.

One of my previous students was also deaf so when mobile phones became mainstream, communcation between us was seriously increased, she could also lip read really well. I think also, this business is so people oriented, anything you can do to relax the situation helps, so if you are relaxed, then your client will be too! I also agree with Fiona, and I don't mean to sound patrionising, but you seriously don't have barriers :D and you are a fantastic inspiration.

Cathy

Dawnie!
If I were a client I would love for Mullie to be there....just so long as I could bring Millie along too lol!!
Seriously...Mullie is your ears so as far as I am concerned he should be there.
Best of luck with everything keep us all posted.

Clare & Millie xxxxx

Hi

I agree with everyone else, a dog would certainly not put me off. A badly behaved one would but i am sure mullie is highly trained.

The only problem i would forsee is if a client should bring a child with them poor mullie would get pestered.

Dawnie, it really wouldn't be a problem. Just let people be aware of Mullie before they come though, some people are allergic/sensitive to dogs and some people are scared of dogs no matter how well behaved they are.

If you let them know before they come that you have a dog, and that he will have to remain in your vision because he is your ears, then you don't need to worry that it would present a problem when they arrive and you can relax. The only thing you will have to worry about is how spoilt he will be!!

Cheers me dears for all your answers.

I would of course ask clients if they mind or if they have an alergy to dogs b4 hand............one of my loyal clients of 2 yrs has alergy to dogs she has allways come to my house for her nails and I keep him out the way then....................he is well behaved when he is working a nutter when he is not lol he would stay in his bed ohhh just thought will have to get him colour co-ordinated bed :) seriously he would stay in his bed until told otherwise .........I cant see a problem with health and safty as he is allowed anywhere that I am so he gets fed up when I am barred from pubs pmsl.
It makes me feel safe when he is at hand for smoke alarm ect and of course to tell me someone is at the door.

Thanks again me Geekys m8's

Take care
Dawnie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have to say Dawnie, that I think 'hearing' dogs and 'seeing' dogs are so amazing and wonderful - I would never have a problem with something like that - it's fascinating the difference these animals can make to hearing and seeing impaired people! It will be very intersting to see what H+S have to say but I am sure they must deal with these circumstances and will have to allow it (with some possible provisions maybe) :hug:

Mullie will be like a personal assistant to you Babe............
When he has got his working coat on he is a working hearing dog and is totaly different from the potty, sloppy, soppy doggie that I know..................
When he is working, he is just the best......... well he is the best anyway xxxx

Health and Safety will not have any problem with a hearing dog being in the room, as he is essential to your work and is part of your personal health and safety................
Hearing dogs and guide dogs are not pets, well not whilst they are working, then they become the sense that you have lost...... either hearing or sight.............
Just dont make him wear a mandarin pink tunic, deffo not his colour...................

If they are not phobic or allergic, I feel that if any of your clients have a problem with an essential part of your well-being...who just happens to be a dog being with you they don't need to be a client. I would never have a problem with it. I remember a couple of times I got on the bus and would see a dog adn yes, it would rattle me initially, because one is just not accustomed to getting on the bus looking down and seeing a dog, but then I realized it was someone's seeing eye dog, and that it's sole purpose at that point was concentrating on it's owner...it wasn't worried about me.
I'm sure your doggy is well trained, well groomed, and might even have an awesome manicure!:wink2:

Latest posts

Back