Youtube tutorials

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reide

IG: Cristyelladoeshair
Reaction score
I've noticed that youtube has a lot of bad tutorials. I have postponed my careerfor the moment because a) I don't have a job b) I am studying a certificate in a different field now and c) I haven't been enjoying myself. I feel this is due to location though. I still have clients to work on but 3/4 clients isn't really enough to call a job. So I decided to keep things fresh I would make tutorials because people are going to do their own hair no matter what someone tells them and I feel its better to have mild knowledge and do your hair at home rather then ruin your hair and and expect a hairdresser to perform miracles.

Now I'm not going to tell everything I have learned but do you think this is a good idea? I'm also planning on making a video on the pros and cons of doing your own hair.

What do you think?

Tutorials for styling, blow drying, bridal hair, hair-ups, etc I'd say yes go for it.

Colouring - no way. Are you planning on advising people how to use OTC colour products safely?

If not, advising our potential clients how to buy, and use correctly professional chemical products is a massive no-no in my opinion.

I think that's a great idea, penny's can be made from YT :rolleyes:

I have a blog (tansandtiaras.blogspot.co.uk ) and I'm a nail tech!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

>Colouring - no way. Are you planning on advising people how to use OTC colour products safely?

I am not going to tell people about how to mix colours. I have made a tutorial on how I personally treat my own hair and I have suggested that before they even contemplate colouring their hair they should practice treatments because it gets their muscle memory working withought damaging their hair.

In regards to tints and highlifts. I was going to go into the basics of what the peroxide percentages mean and little things like metalic proteins from supermarket dyes and someways they can cause issues if they are used with other processes. I was also going to point out how I have been tinting my own hair for almost 10 years (including lemon bleaching. So not just over the counter dyes) and point out the issues I have personally had with my hair such as blotchiness, colour build up etc. I plan to point out that no matter what I always miss part of my roots because I can't see them. And maybe even show my hair history.

But I'm also going to make it clear that my videos are just generalized or in reguards to my own hair so they should consult a hairdresser when doing these kinds of things because I can't see/feel their hair so I don't know the quality.

I haven't really learned may hairups (they skipped me through that part in my course because I previously went to a dodgy school. They didn't teach us many things) but I plan to do them when I move because I don't have room to set up my mannequins at my house.

Anything else you'd like me to add? Or anything you'd prefer me to leave out? Because I know this is your workplace.

I don't think you need to discuss colours at all. Clients don't need to know about tint, highlifts and developer.

Yes maybe educate them on box dyes but I don't see the need for the general public to know above the above stuff as they will only do it themselves.

That's why they go to a hairdresser.

Laura x

>Yes maybe educate them on box dyes but I don't see the need for the general public to know above the above stuff as they will only do it themselves.
>That's why they go to a hairdresser.

The way I see it is the people searching online are going to do it at home no matter what video they find. They won't usually go to a hairdresser. Thats why I figured basic knowledge on how dye was a good idea.

>Yes maybe educate them on box dyes but I don't see the need for the general public to know above the above stuff as they will only do it themselves.
>That's why they go to a hairdresser.

The way I see it is the people searching online are going to do it at home no matter what video they find. They won't usually go to a hairdresser. Thats why I figured basic knowledge on how dye was a good idea.

Yes but they wont know what products to buy to be able to do that service. They should not be told what chemicals we use and how to use them. They will not be trained in using them and only leave themselves to damage and harm.

Laura x

So your basically going to help them do their own hair ? Sorry but if you do mean colouring then that's ridiculous why don't you do tutorials on how to put your own hair up, how to blow dry etc x

As I said in my first post - teaching colouring is an absolute no-no I'm afraid.

I agree with both yes and no... I do think don't tell them what to do but more what not to die i.e don't ever touch bleach or use anything they don't understand. Educate about the risks rather than educate on how to risk their hair

I'm totally with KayaPapaya here ... Certainly no colouring! Hair up, blows etc but no colours.

Clients aren't that interested in what's in the box of rubbish they throw on their hair. If they were they would consult a professional xx

I think people are misunderstanding me. I am not going to teach colour. I am not going to teach them to colour. I did want to make a video on peroxides and talk about the pro's and cons of colouring your hair. I am not going to teach them how to colour their hair, mix colours or anything of that sort. I'm not intending on teaching any chemical process. I am not even intending on going into full detail. I just want to basically show the risks and try and give explanations about why certain things happen. And how to be safe with your hair.

So your basically going to help them do their own hair ? Sorry but if you do mean colouring then that's ridiculous why don't you do tutorials on how to put your own hair up, how to blow dry etc x
I don't have a stable place to set up my mannequin but I will do hair ups eventually when I move.

I agree with both yes and no... I do think don't tell them what to do but more what not to die i.e don't ever touch bleach or use anything they don't understand. Educate about the risks rather than educate on how to risk their hair
Exactly what I want to do. I want to teach how to be safe with hair, what to avoid, what not to do. And I am going to promote going to stylists because these chemicals are dangerous. I don't see many videos around with that kind of information.

I'm totally with KayaPapaya here ... Certainly no colouring! Hair up, blows etc but no colours.

Clients aren't that interested in what's in the box of rubbish they throw on their hair. If they were they would consult a professional xx
They would be interested if they do something and their hair turns out wrong. I know when I used to mess with my hair a lot and saw something go wrong I'd google the hell out of it.

I am clearly missing the point then.

If you're not teaching colouring why mention peroxide strengths and pros and cons? Sounds like a DIYer with a Sally's card dream!

A little knowledge is more dangerous than a lot.
Some people, when you give them even tge teeniest bit if knowledge, seem to think they know everything; they don't.

Videos on styling and hair ups are awesome though :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I am clearly missing the point then.

If you're not teaching colouring why mention peroxide strengths and pros and cons? Sounds like a DIYer with a Sally's card dream!
I see your point with the peroxide thing. But I feel I should still mention the risks of DIY hair. I was thinking that stating some of the could things could support what I am saying. Like "It is cheaper to do it yourself but in the long run a hairdresser could do the job in a service where as you may have to spend a lot of money on products to fix your mistakes". But this is why I'm discussing it first because I want to make sure that you guys have an input on a channel type that could effect your clientele.

A little knowledge is more dangerous than a lot.
Some people, when you give them even tge teeniest bit if knowledge, seem to think they know everything; they don't.

Videos on styling and hair ups are awesome though :)

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app
I know what you mean.

If you guys have suggestions of anything else I could do. I was thinking of even dong a video on how to communicate with your hairdresser in order to get the best service.

So any suggestions are welcome. For instance is there anything you'd like to voice to clients that you can't personally voice to them?

Latest posts

Back