Zumba and other exercise classes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deena

Reaction score
Having wanted to get back into regular exercise that was a little more energetic <and calorie burning> than walking my tiny dog, I've recently started attending Zumba classes. I tried a Step class, but that seemed to strain the backs of my calves and have been advised that Kettlebell can put a strain on a less than perfect back. :sad:

So far, I've found Zumba the most enjoyable exercise class I've ever done and I'm not clock watching in anticipation of the cool down period, heralding the end of my ordeal! :D

Anyone tried Zumba, what was your experience of it and any other exercise class recommendations? :biggrin:

Zumba is fab I have been doing it nearly 2 years and have great fun and have made some great friends

I loved my Zumba class until they changed instructors. I've been looking into trying Zumba Tone which is Zumba mixed with weights.

I bought the zumba DVDs years ago and liked doing ,would like to go to a class but really struggle getting the time ,i do a pole class on a Tue and love it sooo much :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

I do an Aqua Zumba class once a week and absolutely love it!

I've been teaching Zumba for a year and a half now. I love it, it's so much fun and great exercise.

the instructor really does make or break the class - in my old gym when I started i went 5 times a week to zumba because i loved it (still do but find it a bit too easy cardio wise) but then the saturday class changed instructor and she was soooo rubbish!

I've tried Zumba a few times but it's not for me, i have no coordination with between my arms & legs, can do one or the other .... not both.

Plus i have a bit of a dodgy knee, so all that bouncing about was just too knackering !!

I've started Yoga a couple of weeks ago & found i feel more energised after an hour & half of that than what i did an hour of Zumba.

Plus for the first time since i was 8 years old, i got my leg over my head ..... you never know when that may come in handy !!

In all seriousness, the day after, i know i've had a good session cause my muscles are achy & i feel more toned.

As with most things you do, the teacher/instructor can make or break your enjoyment/commitment to continue, I do agree.

I guess it helps if you actually enjoy any form of dancing where Zumba is concerned and I always have. I used to loathe every minute of a straightforward gym workout, be it cardio or weights, and this appears to have solved my dilemma. I have also got myself a Zumba dvd set for when I can't attend a class and want a bit more. Not sure I will enjoy it quite as much, but it's got to be better than nothing at all?

I would like to find another type of class that doesn't put a strain on any weaker areas, just for a bit of variety, but will keep searching.

Thanks for all your replies. :D

I'm a fitness instructor & personal trainer & I teach lots of different classes.
The instructor is very importantr, so if yuo dont like how they tach, try a ifferent instructor.
My favourite class to teach is spinning. Its the one which burns the most calories & as it is low impact, it will not put any strain on your joints.
Also, try circuit training for a grart varied workout.:)

My fave workout is kickboxing. I love it because it's a great workout, burns a ton of calories, gives you self-confidence and makes you feel like you can conquer the world. :)

Latest posts

Back