Help with perfect polishing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemlew

Reaction score
Hi,everyone.I have just started my first salon job and although i feel confident in other aspects,i'm rubbish at painting nails!I have been worrying so much as the last time i did a manicure my hands started shaking so much because i was panicking and another therapist had to take over.I have really lost my confidence and am dreading the next manicure.Has anyone any suggestions on how to make painting nails easier?I feel my arms/hands are positioned awkwardly!Thanks!

Here are some tricks to speed up and to be accurate and stop the shaking. May they work for you.

Be accurate with your base coat and no touching the skin, but apply it quickly and thin as you like. The slower you go the worse it will be for you.

Be as careful as you can be, and take your time, and paint your first coat of colour perfectly. Straight edges and nicely curved eponychium line, but you do not need to try and get full coverage with this coat and the polish can look streaky.

(here is where you can really speed up)

Apply your second coat super fast. Use a little more polish on your brush, and just paint down the centre of the nail without worrying about going all the way the the very perfect edges you have created! No one will ever see that you have not gone all the way to the very edge and you will not build up any bulk at the edges where clients will be tempted to pick.

Top coat should be super fast to apply as well, as it is clear and you need to cover all the way to the edge of the base coat. Your top and base should be the bread of the sandwich and encapsulate the colour.

You MUST be positioned comfortably and place your clients hand at the angle you need so that your brush feels just like a pen in your hand and the hand is the piece of paper on which you are going to write. You cannot work at your best if the client's hand is straight in front of you ... It must come in at a slight angle, otherwise your elbows will be all bunched up at your sides and you will be cramped and not free to move.

Your elbows should both be away from your sides and at right angles to your body and resting on your desk.

Finally .. balance point positioning ... your painting hand should be steadied and balanced on one of the fingers that is holding your clients hand, and then you will not shake at all. OH ............... and finally, remember to breathe!!

HTH

Last edited:
Here are some tricks to speed up and to be accurate and stop the shaking. May they work for you.

Be accurate with your base coat and no touching the skin, but apply it quickly and thin as you like. The slower you go the worse it will be for you.

Be as careful as you can be, and take your time, and paint your first coat of colour perfectly. Straight edges and nicely curved eponychium line.

Apply your second coat super fast. Use a little more polish on your brush, and just paint down the centre of the nail without worrying about going all the way the the very perfect edges you have created! No one will ever see that you have not gone all the way to the very edge and you will not build up any bulk at the edges where clients will be tempted to pick.

Top coat should be super fast to apply as well, as it is clear and you need to cover all the way to the edge of the base coat. Your top and base should be the bread of the sandwich and encapsulate the colour.

You MUST be positioned comfortably and place your clients hand at the angle you need so that your brush feels just like a pen in your hand and the hand is the piece of paper on which you are going to write. You cannot work at your best if the client's hand is straight in front of you ... It must come in at a slight angle, otherwise your elbows will be all bunched up at your sides and you will be cramped and not free to move.

Your elbows should both be away from your sides and at right angles to your body and resting on your desk.

Finally .. balance point positioning ... your painting hand should be steadied and balanced on one of the fingers that is holding your clients hand, and then you will not shake at all. OH ............... and finally, remember to breathe!!

HTH

This is going to be my nail painting bible!

This is going to be my nail painting bible!

Do you get it?? Can you 'see' it?

These are my Master Polishing tricks and they work. Maybe a light-bulb :idea:

moment for a few, I hope. :Love:

Do you get it?? Can you 'see' it?

These are my Master Polishing tricks and they work. Maybe a light-bulb :idea:

moment for a few, I hope. :Love:

Definitely a light bulb moment for me! ;-) so wish I had the new upgraded SG on my phone so I could heart this! Thanks Gigi, as always you are a bloody godsend! X

Heart me later!! lol I love those hearts. And I love to teach. So sad that I do not get much chance to do that as all anyone wants to know about at the moment is colour!!

Had a good two or three questions today and it's made me feel fulfilled for a change!! lol So happy it has helped. Bet you cant wait to pick up a polish bottle now! :) ... and the same rules hold true for Shellac too.

Haha, after reading this post I grabbed the only clear polish I could to practise on my daughter. Told her that it wasn't Vinylux so it'll take longer to dry. You should have seen her face when I told her an hour!! She said I should take Vinylux home lol.

Gigi, you need to create webinars that we can sign in to! Xx

That is way beyond my capabilities, I'm afraid. x

That is way beyond my capabilities, I'm afraid. x

I wouldn't mind another trip to Spain, the only time I've been was to photograph a wedding for a beauty therapist. ;) x

I wouldn't mind another trip to Spain, the only time I've been was to photograph a wedding for a beauty therapist. ;) x

Ah ... well ... we could be talking here!! x

Even a couple of years down the line someone explains something and a little light goes off, even though its something you've not really thought about before, when you see it you think YES!

Gigi as ever, the best teacher out there.

Be as careful as you can be, and take your time, and paint your first coat of colour perfectly. Straight edges and nicely curved eponychium line, but you do not need to try and get full coverage with this coat and the polish can look streaky.

HTH

That's fantastic advice. Wish I could print it out lol! Gigi you've just taught me more there than I learnt at college. Thank you

Too bad the OP has not returned to benefit from the advice yet. Come on OP you are missing vital practising time. lol

I have had so many hearts from this post thank you .. so glad it has helped so many to see what to do. Any questions or clarification needed just ask.

Last edited:
This info has been awesome, so glad I read this. Thanks Gigi x

Such great advice and help as always and op you really are missing out on being taught by the best x

Thank you for the tips Geeg, have you got any for french? :eek:

Oh my goodness, just shaved off a good chunk of my Shellac timing today, and felt so much more comfortable, thank you so much Geeg x

Gigi as always you are my hero! Huge heart

Latest posts

Back