£50 vs 20%

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pocketdragon

Reaction score
Hi geeks just need some advice. I have 2 salon opportunities however due to family i can only do part time until i have a good client base so im looking to do eves n weekends aswell as my fulltime job.
Im not sure which of the 2 to go with;
1st one ~ nail desk in beauty salon to suit my hours ~ £50 per week, rising to £80 if i go full time.
2nd one ~ 20% of earnings ~ whayever hours i want to do.
So basically, £50 pw vs 20%

Which one is best?

with the second option have you already got a clientelle base xx

What I think you need to consider is if you go fulltime are you going to be giving a higher amount.......

for example based on my last weeks clients if I was paying 20% I'd have had to pay out around £200.......so £80 per week would be a better option.

it's often not the better option when you start out as you're building a client base but better in the long run...

if there is an existing client base you'll hopefully be earning straight away......

I would personally choose the set amount each week. But can certainly see benefits to both.

a fixed rate is better in my opinion if you have a full day of clients they are entitled to 20% were if you just pay a fixed sum you have the potential to make as much as you like. also with % it can get a bit confusing. x

The percentage option sounds more appealing when you are new and have no clients.

However, as the others have said, you will end up paying more the busier you get.

I would definitely go with the fixed amount without hesitation.

Thanks for replying everyone, really appreciate your help. Im going to go with the fixed option even though i wilk be starting from scratch. If i go percentage then id be paying equivalent of tax twice! Xx

Thanks for replying everyone, really appreciate your help. Im going to go with the fixed option even though i wilk be starting from scratch. If i go percentage then id be paying equivalent of tax twice! Xx

I forgot to wish you the very best of luck with it... let's hope you'll be nice and busy! :)

What about the overall picture aside from the above?

eg which salon is busiest? which has been open the longest? which has the best location? which has the best target market for you? etc etc

theres a lot to be considered in working out which will be your first exciting step into business... people are a major part of it and the owners and staff in the salons and their personalities and the way they work with clients and the atmosphere within the salon would be a major influencing factor for me

Ok lets just say I'm having to learn fast....just found out off a hairdressing friend that the salon I was due to start at is up for sale. Might I add that the owner neglected to tell me that!
Basically she offered me the desk in her salon for £50 p/w, gave me a set of keys and the alarm code and asked that I gave her 1 months rent upfront when I started which was going to be Monday 31st Oct. Haven't seen her as she has been on holiday all last week.
Anyway, I went to my hair appointment last weds and was chatting to the girl doing my hair who I've known for years. We got onto subject of work and I told her I was due to start at X salon with Mrs X. She told me there were stories about Mrs X and said while she didn't know the ins and outs I should speak to the hairdressing salon owner who I've also known for about 12 years. Turns out Mrs X used to rent the room upstairs before moving to X salon.
Tonight I was dropping my daughter off and as I passed the hair salon I noticed the owner was in so I called in and asked her what she knew of Mrs X.
Well that's when I found out that Mrs X was stuck in a 3yr contract renting X salon which has a few months left to run and was up for sale, also that Mrs X had not paid the hair salon owner when she worked there and left her debts registered to the salon which resulted in bailiffs calling. She basically said friend to friend, do my homework and be careful. I've decided I'm not going ahead, luckily I haven't signed anything or paid anything yet! She was going to leave me high and dry so to speak!!
My hair salon friend has offered me her room for 20% commission p/w, plus her help and regular rent assessment. Also its a much busier salon and I know her quite well. Thankfully its turned out for the better but I'm so upset and mad that Mrs X took me as a fool. As it stands I've had to reprint my posters, leaflets and price-lists and re jig my open day but that's quite minimal compared to the £200 I nearly paid Mrs X and my new business jeopardised.
Now I've got to wait until Tues before I see Mrs x to give her the keys and collect my bits I left there. Haven't told her I know what I do but need some advice on how to approach this, what should I say to her if anything at all?

Thanks for reading this uber long post XX

P.s I havent named her because I believe she will do any reputation damage herself given that she treats people the way she does.

At least you have lost no money, and I hope all goes well in your new salon x

Anyone have any advice how to approach this?? Xx

Anyone have any advice how to approach this?? Xx
Might just be best to say sorry but I've done a few more calculations and at the moment I can't commit. Don't explain further as it could be seen as stirring. Although are you 100% that you believe the rumours as that's just what they are?

Im definately 100% sure, firstly the hair salon owner is a good friend and quite reliable and second I had a look on the internet on a business property sale site. There it was in black and white. It also stated that it would be sold without staff!
Going to have to go into salon x to collect some property and just wanted advice on how to deal with it. Xx

Latest posts

Back