£8.50 for infills, couldn't believe my eyes.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missy G

Reaction score
OMG, couldnt get over this,was out with my husband in his car today,glancing at the shops as we drove by, and I spotted a nail bar,displayed in the window was ..

Nail extensions:£10.00..Infills:£8.50..INFILLS £8.50!!!!!

It had the word.. American in the name of the bar,so I assume it was a nss bar,dont know? but do they really charge this low?Couldnt believe it..kept saying to my husband all the way to the DIY shop £8.50,£8.50.

In the end he said ..do you want me to take you back there and have a word with them...I said yes please do give me the pleasure!!:lol:But the boring old fart was more interested in getting to the DIY shop and getting home again!:irked:

Last edited:
OMG it must of been an NSS, that cheap. It shouldn't be allowed, the sooner the UK follow the US on licenscing the better

Their not that cheap here, they charged my friend £30 to butcher her nails. She is going to be my model for my assement so now I have to try and sort them out so I can do the job better, I hope.lol Really nervous about it now.

OMG it must of been an NSS, that cheap. It shouldn't be allowed, the sooner the UK follow the US on licenscing the better

In Michigan, you must be a licensed manicurist to perform mani/pedi's, nail enhancements, etc. UNfortunately, thare are a zillion NSS in area.

I really don't know how WE (the licensed/trained PROFESSIONALS) can stop them. The NSS are a disgrace! :mad:

I didnt even charge that cheap when I first started training,I honestly thought they charged double this price ,but obviously not this place.

I really wanna go in there and check them out,Id fire loads of questions at them before they get round to using the drill ,and then when they get round to that stage,pull my hands away ,tell them what I think of them, and walk out,bloody cheapskates!! :irked:

I saw this the other day too. It's down towards the end of the Oxford Rd isn't it. I actually burst out laughing when I saw it. I know it's not funny, but I was so shocked, it's so ridculous! I have a waxing client who gets her enhancements done at one of the NSS in town but she pays proper money for them (about £40.)

I wonder what the actual technican earns? I know someone who worked at a salon where she had to take £30 for the salon to earn £5... obviously she had no control over pricing, and they charged £15 for a brazilian, so she had to do 2 brazilians to earn £5 :eek:

Spot on,thats the one.We must meet up and go in together ,and any other techs in the area,and give them a peace of our mind aint it?

The thing is, if you think about what their clientele are like, I don't think you'd want them. Sorry if that sounds snobby but peeps that wanna pay £8.50, well, I'd rather sit down for coffee and miss out on the work:eek:

Well yeh I know what you mean,if there all from the local area they probly dont even speak English them selves let alone the nail techs:lol:.So its the blind leading the blind as they say.

I don't really mind that, I was thinking about it being a red light district :lol:

But I do have clients and friends that live down that way, so it is a gross generalisation and I should know better :eek:

Im a bit worried now as I only charge £8 for infills and £10-15 for acrylics, is it just because it is a shop that makes you surprised at their prices as Im a mobile nail tech that has recently qualified so im just using that price to build a client base. Am I making a big mistake or does your concern only apply to this nail bar?

What is nss sorry to be pain im just a bit confused.

Thanks guys

An NSS is non standard salon, if you do a search you will find lots of examples, but it generally applies to a lack of hygiene / quality of product / communication.

The reason it's shocking for us I suppose is because here in Reading, everything tends to be expensive. It's just geographic.

If you are happy with what you're charging, far be it from us to get you to increase your prices. However, have you done a little check what others in your area are charging?

you'll never build up a good client base charging those sort of prices!! Just skanky people who will never pay full price, plus how could you ever justify putting your prices up from £15 to a normal £40? The customers you had managed to get just wouldnt pay it. Doing them as cheap as this means you'll not even get maintenance appointments as they'll just think sure i'll get a new set once these fall off' .
its costing this in products and materials to do these nails so by the time you add in your wage, petrol etc you're actually losing money.
If you've spent the money on training then you need to charge accordingly. if you dont feel confident get a nail trainer!!
hth!!
:)

And if youve only recently qualified ,how long does it take you to do a set,2 3 4 hours? Your earning peanuts an hour,and yes you need to think about petrol too, and wether the price your charging is covering your overheads,and once you get your client base will they appreciate a big price increase as said?.:confused:

I wonder how long it takes them to do infill's?
that is a stupid price.
How on earth do they cover the rent and wages?
I think you should do some detective work.

Thanks for your advice guys,

It only takes me an hour and 15 to do a full set, so im making just under a tenner, your right I need to charge more but im worried i will not get any custom!

Any way thanks for your opinion x x x

All i would say to that, is the products they use must be very cheap, low quality and be put on in a very slap dash, no proper training and little sanitation way.

Plus they will only attract the sort of clients that you really don't want. I have one near me and they take all the clients i wouldn't want to touch with a barge pole. (i hope i don't offend anyone saying this.....:cry:)

It is annoying though.

Where i live we have one on every corner and they can do infils in 20/30 mins. It takes me about an hour and then 10 mins for a design.

£8.50 in the UK can u imagine how much is it in china then??? :eek: even if the product so cheap how can they live here and pay bills, tax, rent....i can't understand that!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

It isn't even worth getting your brush out, at those ridulous prices!!

Latest posts

Back