1.5 hours for full set, too long?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meme

Reaction score
Hi.

I had 3 clients at home today.
I took about 1.5 hours for full set on each, and all of them said I took too long.

I know my timing is alright although I hope it will be a bit shorter in the future.
Even one of the clients insisted I should use drill including cuticle removal, which I would never do.
( She always has her full set in this way and in 50 mins.)

I'm going to start renting a nail table from this Sat and I expect many people will say same things as today's clients.
I would say about half ( or more?) of nail salons around here are NSS.

I really want clients to know what a good nail service should be.

I know in my head, but I'm a bit worried and lost confidence now.

So, please cheer me up!:hug:

Last edited:
I don't think that 1.5 hours is too long at all. I prefer to have that much time and I have been doing nails for over 20 years. If they are not new clients and I know their nails I can do 1 hour 15 minutes. Don't stress!

Don't lose confidence hun. You are doing the right thing. To me, 1.5 hours is great timing for a full set. It takes me that long to do french refills!

If they ever say it is taking a long time explain the difference between what you do and what NSS do. They will appreciate (i hope) the quality and effort put in for a set of beautiful, lasting enhancements. I always tell my clients I take a little longer than some as I am a complete perfectionist and want everything that walks out the door to be perfect as I can get it. They really appreciate that too, thats why they keep coming back..

Corrine x

It's really not about what we as technicians think is good timing is it? It's about what the clients want and if you have clients who want quick full sets then for goodness sakes, get some PopIts and give them what they want in 30-40 minutes with a beautiful result and no drills plus time for proper gentle preparation with no harsh files.

THIS quickness is exactly what PopIts are all about. Maybe not for all your clients, but for the ones who are thinking of going up the road to the discount salon to save time, they will love the PopIt service !!

Give clients as much CHOICE as you can is my advice. If they want quick then give them quick, if they want couture then give them the one and a half hours they need.

The tools are there for you to use to enhance your business and your reputation. Many are doing terrific business this way with PopIts. PopIts are not the threat to handmade nails that so many made out they were before they even knew what they were ... they are an alternative treatment for those who want speed WITH quality. Fantastic.

All Geeg says is right, Ive used popits a couple of times , 1st time I had air bubbles, since then Ive had perfect results, So if I can get to grips with them ( not even qualified yet ) then anyone can, And that has, been doing them on myself :)

And before I get slammed down, yes I have followed all sanitation and prep rules

Last edited:
All Geeg says is right, Ive used popits a couple of times , 1st time I had air bubbles, since then Ive had perfect results, So if I can get to grips with them ( not even qualified yet ) then anyone can, And that has, been doing them on myself :)

And before I get slammed down, yes I have followed all sanitation and prep rules

Thank you for that Tracey ... interestingly, I have taught several Beauty therapists (those who had passed a nail course but didn't offer the service because of the amount of practise needed to produce a good and competitive result by hand) to use PopIts so they can add nails to their service. The interesting bit is that right from the start they have produced perfect results with PopIts. I think this is because they have been taught to use them correctly from the start instead of using hand made methods with the PopIts. They have no preconceived idea of how to use them so they learn the correct techniques immediately. Not a bubble in sight!!

One would think that trained nail techs who have done nails for years would fair better than beauty therapists who have never conquered the hand made nail but no ... learning the right way right with PopIts from the start seems to work better. Sweet Squared do offer a PopIt Power Class at the Creative Nail academies and it is a good idea to take it even if one thinks they know it all already ... experience tells me that where new techniques are concerned it doesn't do for anyone to be too arrogant about what they do and do not know. :hug:

Last edited:
I currently take 2hrs on a first set Hand nails anaylisis ect. but can do it in 1.30 on my own. I agree popits if they want it faster makes sense. I was told to aim for 90mins for a full set on my course so your right on with how long handmade should take, I guess if you have been doing it longer you could shave a bit off that but not much or else you start to compromise the quality :mad:)

How long have you been doing nails? And how many sets have you done?

When I started out it took me two hours to do a set but the more clients I got the quicker I could do a set so it went down to an hour and a half and then an hour and 15.

After 11 years of doing nails I can polish a set off in 50 minutes (NO DRILL!). But if i go a few weeks without doing a set it can take me an extra 15 minutes for some bizarre reason!

I would have no objection using a drill if it was to quicken up infill and back fill timing or to get product off the back of the nail but you can do a good set without one and the techs that win nail comps dont have a drill to hand.

Dont let them rock your confidence! I have sat in nail salons for 3 hours! And that put me off because a) the nails were not that great and b) my bum went numb lol!

Just tell these clients why you take longer and the downsides to using a drill on the natural nail plate etc and explain you care about nails and would much rather do a thorough and decent job than rush them and damage their own nails. DON'T APOLOGISE TO THEM! And eventually your time will come down and clients will see your professional too.

Kate x

I currently take 2hrs on a first set Hand nails anaylisis ect. but can do it in 1.30 on my own. I agree popits if they want it faster makes sense. I was told to aim for 90mins for a full set on my course so your right on with how long handmade should take, I guess if you have been doing it longer you could shave a bit off that but not much or else you start to compromise the quality :mad:)

I agree that "short cuts make LONG delays" and short cuts usually mean a compromise on quality WITH THE EXCEPTION of very experienced technicians who I think, most of us, can turn out a really excellent full set in an hour to one hour 15 minutes tops including everything. Rebalances in about 45-50 minutes.

Im coming to learn your infill technique geeg!

I can do my full sets in under an hour. Infills and backfills take me longer!! Time to hang my head in shame!

Kate x

Im coming to learn your infill technique geeg!

I can do my full sets in under an hour. Infills and backfills take me longer!! Time to hang my head in shame!

Kate x

No, I don't think you should do that!! :)

The more experienced you are the less problems you face at a rebalance service. Rebalances should be about preventing future problems not fixing current ones. Preventative NOT corrective.

If you are correcting at the rebalance all the time then something is wrong either with your technique or with your clients' lack of care of their enhancements.

Also I think too many technicians spend far too much time filing off perfectly good sound product during this service only to add the product back again on application. It does not make sense and I'd bet that you are filing product that does not need to be filed at all and wasting time that way. If the product is sound then leave it alone and just do a gentle smoothing and cleaning up job.

I can say honestly that I cannot do a first rate full set in under an hour (unless using PopIts) ... nor would my constitution take working that way !! I'd be cream crackered!! For the benefit of our non British members, this means 'very tired' :)

Last edited:
I was taught to file back so as not to create a bulk. Also if I back fill I find if it takes me ages to put the smile line in!

I can do a nice set of nails but its not my strong point I must admit, I'd rather run the london marathon than do a set lol!

I just keep getting clients wanting me to do them! I am going to do more training I think. Learnings so much fun and I still have so much to learn lol!

x

I was taught to file back so as not to create a bulk. Also if I back fill I find if it takes me ages to put the smile line in!

I can do a nice set of nails but its not my strong point I must admit, I'd rather run the london marathon than do a set lol!

I just keep getting clients wanting me to do them! I am going to do more training I think. Learnings so much fun and I still have so much to learn lol!

x

You won't create bulk if you do not add bulk!

Why file back only to add again ?? ... don't file back if you do not need to and then only add product where you do need to and not to any other area.

As long as you maintain the balance of the enhancement in the finished nail .. only do what is necessary and no more. No wonder it is a chore if you are doing unnecessary work ... and all that filing does not help the longevity of the nails either. You can create more work for yourself in the long run if you file too much. Time to move on with CND Master Classes!

I've done them all lol!!! I need some one on one really to perfect my technique. I cannot tell you the amount of money i have spent on CND training its obscene!

But I see what you mean but I dont add bulk Its just the way I was taught to clip back and file off the bulk and re fill.

I have the CND training manual here I am off for a read lol!

kate x

I've done them all lol!!! I need some one on one really to perfect my technique. I cannot tell you the amount of money i have spent on CND training its obscene!

But I see what you mean but I dont add bulk Its just the way I was taught to clip back and file off the bulk and re fill.

I have the CND training manual here I am off for a read lol!

kate x

Well you were never taught that on a CND Master Class. :lol:
Much time is devoted to explaining why one should never 'clip' any material off the nail plus the consequences of so doing!!

It's one thing to attend a class .. it is another to put all you have learned into practise. Old bad habits die hard don't they?

I think a re-read of the students manual and class notes would not do anyone any harm from time to time and may highlight something that was overlooked or not 'taken in' before!

Hiya I am going to PM you so as not to take over this thread! x

Well you were never taught that on a CND Master Class. :lol:
Much time is devoted to explaining why one should never 'clip' any material off the nail plus the consequences of so doing!!

It's one thing to attend a class .. it is another to put all you have learned into practise. Old bad habits die hard don't they?

I think a re-read of the students manual and class notes would not do anyone any harm from time to time and may highlight something that was overlooked or not 'taken in' before!
Thanks geeg, I have to say i suddenly saw my self when you started talking bulk i file away and then replace wont be doing it again though!!! makes so much sense when some one says it

Thank you very much for your replies.

I've been doing nails only for 2 years and I'm not satisfied with the nails I've created at all.

But I thought, what I can offer to my clients is beautiful nails as much as I can and TLC to their natural nails which some nail salons may not offer.

I've been always interested in Popits.

I think it's time to try them out and practice!!!

I want see my clients say "WOW!" with Popits.:lol:

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your replies.

I've been doing nails only for 2 years and I'm not satisfied with the nails I've created at all.

But I thought, what I can offer to my clients is beautiful nails as much as I can and TLC to their natural nails which some nail salons may not offer.

I've been always interested in Popits.

But I think it's time to try them out and practice!!!

I want see my clients say "WOW!" with Popits.:lol:

Trust me, they will!

Actually, using PopIts can improve your hand made nail skills. You will have a perfect model to copy. If you need help you know where to come. :hug:

Hi Gigi.

I know what you mean now.
I tried out Popits - it was a disaster, as I expected- but I can see what perfect structure should look like.
(especially U and C curves)

I understand why people say your "nail class" cover photo is so beautiful.

Thank you and hope to see you one day. X

Meg

Latest posts

Back