2/3 week infills

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PitaBread

Reaction score
Loving life :) had the best week ever this far!! Finally feel free. I’m looking for salon positions.

Just a quick word of advice. My tech warned me of some lifting initially due to being a first timer on acrylics and she’s not sure how they’d work with me. No problem. I think I see some lifting on my thumb. Again no big deal at all. I don’t want to be that customer and tell her about it like I’m complaining. Cause I love how much time she worked on me and in the past after sorting through new products the stuff eventually stayed put.

I tried to book for next Thursday being 2 weeks... she’s booked out!! Do you think I can wait 2 more weeks when she is free? I had an appointment already scheduled for then. I feel bad telling her because business is finally picking up due to vaccines and I’m not entitled enough to make her feel like she needs to move bookings around for me or do a free fix!! 😱😑 I don’t mind the lift or how it looks but I’m concerned about making a good relationship. I guess I’m asking as nail techs what is the courtesy?

In the future I know I’ll book for 2 weeks JIC.

Attachments

• 134376CD-9AFD-41F4-8181-A137E24359B4.jpeg
    134376CD-9AFD-41F4-8181-A137E24359B4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 99
  • 9AB9E035-CEC1-406B-83B6-F4589FB64BFC.jpeg
    9AB9E035-CEC1-406B-83B6-F4589FB64BFC.jpeg
    947.5 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:
It's fine as long as you leave it alone, book the first appointment she has free.

It's fine as long as you leave it alone, book the first appointment she has free.

Ok yup that’s the 27th :) I will

Oh even better, next Saturday opened up. Looks like this “crisis” is averted LOL 😂

I learned off of YouTube during Covid how to do my own both acrylic and gel. Initial investment about $150 for efile, curator, kits, etc. best decision ever. No worries about salons cleaning inside heat lamps, drill bits, files. It’s not hard. You can prevent your own lifting.

I learned off of YouTube during Covid how to do my own both acrylic and gel. Initial investment about $150 for efile, curator, kits, etc. best decision ever. No worries about salons cleaning inside heat lamps, drill bits, files. It’s not hard. You can prevent your own lifting.

As much as I appreciate that advice because I know you want to help, I know professional salons like the one I go to have extensive training and experience I don’t have. It may seem simple to do a salon service at home like hair and nails but without this training, botch jobs can happen. Those drills can permanently damage a nail bed. I won’t risk it or pretend to have the talent and skills that these ladies and gentlemen strived for from years of hard work. ❤️ Little lifts don’t bother me anyway nowadays. I just know now next time to book sooner. And well it’s fun to go out and talk to my lady and pamper myself. My question wasn’t really about the lift but the etiquette. Shit happens. Lady just learning my nails. I know she’ll get it going soon enough!! She’s got 21 years of experience! I was 9 when she began nails haha who am I to be upset? Surely this is a part of the process. I know as a hairdresser you learn clients as you go. Like tones their hair picks up etc.

I was a hair stylist for years, then became a nurse. Beauty is no stranger, but as a nurse... I’m not willing to put my fingers in any places others have been in a nail salon. The acrylic brushes and acrylic powders are used constantly from one to another. Salons don’t clean metal e file bits nor do they clean the tiny heat lamp curators. Foot files etc are cleaned in sterilizer though. They change sanding bands. It’s not worth it to me where fingers go that close to others. There will be more variants yet. Covid will last into 2023. I want my nails done despite salon closures and it’s nice to be able with lengthy research to do your own if lockdowns. Just an option. Glad you want to pamper yourself though!

I was a hair stylist for years, then became a nurse. Beauty is no stranger, but as a nurse... I’m not willing to put my fingers in any places others have been in a nail salon. The acrylic brushes and acrylic powders are used constantly from one to another. Salons don’t clean metal e file bits nor do they clean the tiny heat lamp curators. Foot files etc are cleaned in sterilizer though. They change sanding bands. It’s not worth it to me where fingers go that close to others. There will be more variants yet. Covid will last into 2023. I want my nails done despite salon closures and it’s nice to be able with lengthy research to do your own if lockdowns. Just an option. Glad you want to pamper yourself though!

Everyone has to do what makes them comfortable for sure. I haven’t been in a year. Waited for my vaccines. I’m not gonna live in fear for variants but will adapt and make decisions when I do hear about them if I do. Family safety of course comes first. Thanks for your service btw as a nurse in these times :)

I suggest you find a better salon and stop making sweeping judgements and assumptions.

All my tools are cleaned and sanitised between clients, as are tables, seats, touch points (including lamp ), etc., as per our Industry set out Guidelines and procedures. 95% of this was already done by me and probably the vast majority of the members of this Professional site, before covid, and will continue to be well after the virus is virtually under control no matter how long it takes.

Once the client has washed and sanitised their hands there is virtually no risk of transmission, especially not via brushes, or powders. The brush should never touch skin and only touches product so no chance of transmission.

I've written and deleted this reply 3 times now but you know what I'm sick of playing nicely so as not to offend people despite the fact that they are initially completely disrespectful in the first place.

You may want to consider your audience when replying to forums and posts, this is a forum for Nail and Salon professionals, so to come on here and say what we do 'is not hard' and that it be 'learned off YouTube' is rude and throughly disrespectful.

I, and hundreds of others on here, have spent thousands of pounds, hundreds of hours, blood, sweat and tears learning our skills, building our businesses and careers.

All this is not done primarily for us, it's for you...our clients....we do it to give you the absolute best service you can get. To protect you from infection, allergy, diseases, etc. long before covid and we'll continue doing it long after.

We practice, learn and hone our skills to give you beautiful, durable and long lasting nails whether they are your natural nails or enhancements. We give up our evenings, weekends and family time to fit in around your family and choices, yes we get paid, but nothing like our true worth.

If you want to tell everyone how easy it is I suggest you find a more suitable social media platform to do so, there are plenty of DIY nails forums and Facebook groups.

Here we are Professional Nail Technicians, and will continue to uphold our standards and provide quality services to our appreciative clients.

I've written and deleted this reply 3 times now but you know what I'm sick of playing nicely so as not to offend people despite the fact that they are initially
I've written and deleted this reply 3 times now but you know what I'm sick of playing nicely so as not to offend people despite the fact that they are initially completely disrespectful in the first place.

You may want to consider your audience when replying to forums and posts, this is a forum for Nail and Salon professionals, so to come on here and say what we do 'is not hard' and that it be 'learned off YouTube' is rude and throughly disrespectful.

I, and hundreds of others on here, have spent thousands of pounds, hundreds of hours, blood, sweat and tears learning our skills, building our businesses and careers.

All this is not done primarily for us, it's for you...our clients....we do it to give you the absolute best service you can get. To protect you from infection, allergy, diseases, etc. long before covid and we'll continue doing it long after.

We practice, learn and hone our skills to give you beautiful, durable and long lasting nails whether they are your natural nails or enhancements. We give up our evenings, weekends and family time to fit in around your family and choices, yes we get paid, but nothing like our true worth.

If you want to tell everyone how easy it is I suggest you find a more suitable social media platform to do so, there are plenty of DIY nails forums and Facebook groups.

Here we are Professional Nail Technicians, and will continue to uphold our standards and provide quality services to our appreciative clients.
completely disrespectful in the first place.

You are correct but don’t even give it the time of day. Many clients are so well aware of this. I was one to think vaccines should have been rolled out to beauticians as one of the first groups due their close contact with the public and customer service during these trying times. And no, it can’t just be learned on YT. This is how permanent nail damage happens. I know a friend who drilled off her toenail gels, cracked the bed, and now it’ll never grow back right. Look at my series of DIY fails. Heck, channels on hair fails. Nail fails are the same.

Do not be discouraged. Most people know this. I personally love my tech, appreciate not only her skills but her ability to deal with my anxiety, and I know in the past you worried about clientele post pandemic but I’m telling you my tech is soo booked now due to the rollout of vaccines it’s crazy. Usually a little lift she’d have a slot (I book online...) but I’m not bout to have her change her whole schedule because like so many, I do appreciate my tech. Many do MORE after shut downs. ❤️

It’s great if you want a salon, a tech of 20 years that you are patient in her skills despite lifting. Lifting is completely avoidable with the right prep, but I’m happy for you.

I just know acrylic brushes can’t be sanitized and powder is used between clients along with polishes. It’s great to go to a salon if you want to pamper yourself.

Either way people do have choices. Covid has changed this world. The knowledge I’ve learned in the last year with DIY is great for me as an alternative. 🙂 It takes a lot of research and practice to complete nail enhancements on your own, but for those trying take your time learning first. Stay safe and happy everyone!

Following a nail tech like Susie on “Nail Career Education“ with 30 years in the industry... watching 40 plus videos does prepare you for DIY at home. It’s an alternative as you learn the chemistry, the products, the practices to avoid allergies, what to do to avoid nail damage and using an efile correctly. It’s wonderful to have a nail tech, but when closures happen again and again as they will, ladies need an alternative. Be smart and educate yourself thoroughly. That’s why we all have options right?! 💕. Have a great day.

Last edited:
It’s great if you want a salon, a tech of 20 years that you are patient in her skills despite lifting. Lifting is completely avoidable with the right prep, but I’m happy for you.

I just know acrylic brushes can’t be sanitized and powder is used between clients along with polishes. It’s great to go to a salon if you want to and pamper yourself.

Either way people do have choices. Covid has changed this world. The knowledge I’ve learned in the last year with DIY is great for me as an alternative. 🙂. Stay safe and happy everyone!

To each their own. I just think this is not the place to promote DIY— a forum of professional beauticians LOL. I get what you’re saying as it feels right for you. With everything, it’ll surely take experience to perfect any trade. Some people obviously have the talent for instance to dye their hair beautifully at home but it’s rare, and even then when untrained, they miss many key parts of the process.

A lot of stylists are dealing with business issues. My business closed and it’s really discouraging to hear people promoting to ditch the services. These are livelihoods we worked hard for. You have to understand the other side. I do appreciate the advice though because certainly it did come from a good place. Everyone needs to be kind during these times. It’s a rough world ❤️

I understand livelihoods as people are struggling by every second of every day. I branched away because my nails needed done and salons were closed. When their closed, a client still has growth and needs fills or enhancement off. It’s a losing situation on all sides except when you have to do for yourself as a last resort in closures. Reality unfortunately is salons will open and close frequently over the next year and a half. Pandemics like this in healthcare last 3-4 years. I pray your will stay open and that you are booked up. Skills aren’t easy to acquire but when faced with no money, a bad economy, no jobs, and closures... clients will do one or more of the following: wear press ons, not have nails altogether or DIY
As I was once a hair stylist then a nurse, i know both sides. People still need hair cuts and colors. Can’t blame those doing their own hair in closures. Colors are expensive so doing your own and having a mirror to look behind usually does it. In these times people do what they have to save money. So many have hardship and business closures. Some will never open again 😔
You can only do what you can. Best wishes for your business.

I understand livelihoods as people are struggling by every second of every day. I branched away because my nails needed done and salons were closed. When their closed, a client still has growth and needs fills or enhancement off. It’s a losing situation on all sides except when you have to do for yourself as a last resort in closures. Reality unfortunately is salons will open and close frequently over the next year and a half. Pandemics like this in healthcare last 3-4 years. I pray your will stay open and that you are booked up. Skills aren’t easy to acquire but when faced with no money, a bad economy, no jobs, and closures... clients will do one or more of the following: wear press ons, not have nails altogether or DIY
As I was once a hair stylist then a nurse, i know both sides. People still need hair cuts and colors. Can’t blame those doing their own hair in closures. Colors are expensive so doing your own and having a mirror to look behind usually does it. In these times people do what they have to save money. So many have hardship and business closures. Some will never open again 😔
You can only do what you can. Best wishes for your business.

I understand your POV and that you meant well.. no worries

You may think you know but training on YouTube doesn't teach the under pining knowledge that's needed and you can do real damage with an e.file when you have no idea what your doing.

It’s okay. I’m good thanks. Going on ten months with great results with my efile. Learned so much. Reading articles definitely helps. Thanks for your input. You’re all great people. Overly invested in my own pink salon. My tranquil place. Using Swarovski Crystals is my sunshine in this crazy COVID. Best to you all.

It’s okay. I’m good thanks. Going on ten months with great results with my efile. Learned so much. Reading articles definitely helps. Thanks for your input. You’re all great people. Overly invested in my own pink salon. My tranquil place. Using Swarovski Crystals is my sunshine in this crazy COVID. Best to you all.
Oh I see I thought it was a very recent thing, my apologies I'm sure by know you've cracked it, however there is nothing better than one to one professional training to keep you safe 😊

I am glad we are all being polite...

I want to shift the conversation to the original post. As a hairdresser, it takes time to learn what a person's color tends to lean towards (like if it picks up more reds or yellows,) which impact the coloring process completely. Or how quickly it processes. Is it the same for nail techs when first learning about a client? Huttley, you did have me thinking about the lifting after a week with the 20+ years of experience. I mean, she shows all the signs of being a great tech. Booked like crazy, years of experience, very clean place, no MMA in the acrylic products, NOT A CHOP SHOP ONE BIT, she gave me one hour and forty minutes of service... I had it down to learning my nails. Because that's how I am, anyway. My services improve when I learn the client. I am not picking, I am not depressed, I am not anxious, so as far as I am concerned I AM HAPPY with the service despite any of the lifting or little issues. But saying that...

... in terms of money.... LOL. Like I don't mind coming back every 2 weeks for fills and stuff. Just with this set I have been having one issue after another but haven't shared, because again, no big deal. I got my got out of jail free card. But I figure if I am spending the money, I want to be happy with the nails or have limited issues for at least one or two weeks. Before the lifting the nails were picking up a lot of grey discoloration. I didn't mind it one bit, arranged for a color change as to not complain and she saw it and felt bad saying she forgot to put the stain resistant on. She told me I should have said something, that I don't need a color change, and that she wanted to redo the color. All is good. No problem. Felt AWFUL she didn't charge me and literally begged her to do so, before tipping her like the price of service anyway XD But again, all good. That was within like 4 days of service. Then a week, the little lifts. She warned me when doing my nails acrylics are more porous than gels and may not be compatible with me, as she never did acrylics on me (just gels) and would have to learn... makes 100% sense to me. Same thing for hair services at times. You learn with the client.

I just want to make sure. This is an investment. Nails can be expensive and this is how I splurge. I choose to treat myself to these. I am willing to cough up the money NO PROBLEM however often as possible, but I would hope one day I won't have all these little issues after a few days. Like they'd last at least one week before color issues or lifting. It was only a few days before the greying. She fixed it. Greying back, lifts... it has been a week. So is this normal? There are other techs in this place, just as experienced and as booked out, etc. But I feel she is great, I love her personality and the time she spends on me... is this normal stuff? I would feel miserable but like, idk should I find another tech there? Or do I need to give her a few times to learn me? I am not a trained tech so got no clue how it works. Could be like hair services??

Thanks y'all

Last edited:
LIfting can be several things. I always start with me as the Tech as despite 20 years in the game I'm still short on confidence so I ask myself is this likely to be a result of something I did in the initial application. This is balanced with the things you metion above (is this my first or second set with a new client so I'm discovering her 'type', etc.) There are certain things to look for in lifting which give me an idea of why it's happening. With yours, from what I saw when you first posted them, it's her fault for the lifting. There was clearly lots of debris still in your cuticle and the product was touching skin. In fact it was lifting already, I didn't say anything as I knew it would fire off your anxiety.

I would forgive lifting on a first set, everyone is still finding their feet, second set, if it's in the same places, it's time to get more through with the prep steps and double prime/dehydrate, etc.

Third set lifting and I KNOW it's no me, then it's you (the client) this is where my questioning gets more detailed and intensive....because if I'm doing everything right, structure, suitable product, great prep, etc. then it's something you do when you leave my desk. Not following aftercare, picking, nibbling, using them like tools, prising open packets, opening cans, and the million and one other little things you do without noticing that are pressing you nails in an unusual way causing lift. Spoon nails, hook nails and some nail conditions also cause lifting but we should have covered those off already in initial consultation so I'm assuming it's none of those. Only close questioning and honest replies will solve it. So far reasons for lifiting have included...teabag squeezing with a certain thumb nail...... popping pills out of blister packs.....phone cover clasps......bloody Pandora bracelet clasps......Johnsons Coconut Lotion.....Vaseline Hand & Nail lotion.....cuticle oils including lanolin......Cillit Bang limescale remover......Inspect Repellant (specifically Deet).... and the list goes on.

** Unusually we have to add in Covid side effects - obviously this is new but hand sanitiser seems to be killing extensions and causing lifting, no surprise really it's very dehydrating so it's going to cause some issues. We are also using it 20 times more than ever before, adding to the regular handwashing (which is also drying). That's not even considering the potential and very real issues we are seeing of long covid, flaring of allergy issues, new instances of allergies, stress induced psoriasis, etc.

All of the above need to be taken into account with lifting, it's not a simple answer.

With regard to the greying, that's a couple of things. Usually a top coat issue, possibly not cured correctly so picking up dirt/staining/etc. If you are confident it is not product then it's client issue....this could be new jeans (the dye comes out), leather gloves (if winter obvs), new black handbag (purse), etc. ***Again we have the issue of handsanitiser.....some start to break down the topcoat and it becomes more porus, it's going to pick up discolouration, we're likely to see more of it.

I told you many, many months ago, you are a lifter and probably a 10 day appointment client.

LIfting can be several things. I always start with me as the Tech as despite 20 years in the game I'm still short on confidence so I ask myself is this likely to be a result of something I did in the initial application. This is balanced with the things you metion above (is this my first or second set with a new client so I'm discovering her 'type', etc.) There are certain things to look for in lifting which give me an idea of why it's happening. With yours, from what I saw when you first posted them, it's her fault for the lifting. There was clearly lots of debris still in your cuticle and the product was touching skin. In fact it was lifting already, I didn't say anything as I knew it would fire off your anxiety.

I would forgive lifting on a first set, everyone is still finding their feet, second set, if it's in the same places, it's time to get more through with the prep steps and double prime/dehydrate, etc.

Third set lifting and I KNOW it's no me, then it's you (the client) this is where my questioning gets more detailed and intensive....because if I'm doing everything right, structure, suitable product, great prep, etc. then it's something you do when you leave my desk. Not following aftercare, picking, nibbling, using them like tools, prising open packets, opening cans, and the million and one other little things you do without noticing that are pressing you nails in an unusual way causing lift. Spoon nails, hook nails and some nail conditions also cause lifting but we should have covered those off already in initial consultation so I'm assuming it's none of those. Only close questioning and honest replies will solve it. So far reasons for lifiting have included...teabag squeezing with a certain thumb nail...... popping pills out of blister packs.....phone cover clasps......bloody Pandora bracelet clasps......Johnsons Coconut Lotion.....Vaseline Hand & Nail lotion.....cuticle oils including lanolin......Cillit Bang limescale remover......Inspect Repellant (specifically Deet).... and the list goes on.

** Unusually we have to add in Covid side effects - obviously this is new but hand sanitiser seems to be killing extensions and causing lifting, no surprise really it's very dehydrating so it's going to cause some issues. We are also using it 20 times more than ever before, adding to the regular handwashing (which is also drying). That's not even considering the potential and very real issues we are seeing of long covid, flaring of allergy issues, new instances of allergies, stress induced psoriasis, etc.

All of the above need to be taken into account with lifting, it's not a simple answer.

With regard to the greying, that's a couple of things. Usually a top coat issue, possibly not cured correctly so picking up dirt/staining/etc. If you are confident it is not product then it's client issue....this could be new jeans (the dye comes out), leather gloves (if winter obvs), new black handbag (purse), etc. ***Again we have the issue of handsanitiser.....some start to break down the topcoat and it becomes more porus, it's going to pick up discolouration, we're likely to see more of it.

I told you many, many months ago, you are a lifter and probably a 10 day appointment client.

Thanks for your thorough response. To be honest, ever since I left the house the anxiety has dropped to 0 so don't feel worried telling me. I know why you would feel that way though. I honestly am extremely embarrassed by how I acted. Totally out of character. I never experienced depression in my life and that was it. 100%. I really shouldn't have made so many posts on this professional forum about it, either. Wow. Derp. Feel so bad and I apologize. Won't happen again. Kinda rude, tbh, on my part.

I will definitely return to her Saturday considering this is common on first sets. Interestingly enough, I went to her before for uv gel fills and when I say they lasted 4 weeks hell they didn't budge. I went to her for a long time in the past. I used to always praise her because god knows, it took 2 hours but nothing would get those talons off!! I ended up leaving her because I was not well informed that a good tech takes their time, and I would get bored sitting there. Duhhh on me. Anyway, I am wondering.... this is an upscale salon I am going to and she usually runs a little late because she takes a lot of time on her clients. This ends up making her leave her shift late too.... But anyway, this is a hair/nail salon and my hair appointment following her with her boss (the head stylist) and she even asked me when my appointment was before sending me off. She said one nail looked a little clumpy and she'll fix it after sending me to them. She could have maybe been a little nervous getting me out the door on time. Like, who wants to make their boss late?? Anyway, could've been anything. Idk. I am just putting together she never has a free slot unless you book miles in advance and my past experience... I mean, things happen. Doubt she'd have that base if she sucked. Maybe the first set is just like REALLY HARD. In any case, I will 100% give her at least 2 more times for fills. Is that reasonable? I don't think she likes doing a whole new set because she feels it damages the nails. I don't mind coming every 10 days at all. I just want to have no issues in those 10 days. It was like the 2nd day with these huge stains and the lift was before a full week. Stop me now if I have ridiculously high expectations and am being a brat.

I honestly am so gentle on my nails. OMG THE PANDORA CLASPS. My hub opens all my stuff even those. I am so prissy with my nails and I wear gloves even in the shower. I treat them like little babies. XD Also I have been pretty bad ever since I have been vaccinated... not using hand sanitizer or cleansers nearly as much because I want to protect them so much. LOL I have a 96% immunity and I am gonna live my life. Still using the oil and the lotion. Soooo idk. It could be me. I don't want to act entitled but I THINK I treat them like babies. I do really try to. UNLESS OMG COULD IT BE THE LOTION too. :-O I use this: CND - CND Scentsations Lavender & Jojoba Lotion, 8.3 Fl Oz - Walmart.com

I am gonna go check out lanolin now on that bottle. XD

EDIT: No lanolin. Crisis averted. Wow, I can't even believe this nail stuff used to make me lose sleep. I feel like I had gone crazy. Seems pretty silly now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back