3D nail art a disaster? hope these hints and tips help a little!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
We all want to give 3d Nail Art a go - me included and to be honest all I ever ended up with was a squidgy wet blob of coloured acrylic - which was only recognisable as a ...... well as a squidgy wet blob of coloured acrylic :lol:

So today armed with coloured powder - worthy of a rainbow, monomer, a laminated sheet and a various array of different sized brushes, I set my desk out and began work :green:

Well smiles and enthusiasm did not reign long - yep you guessed it, I soon had a load of double dipped squidgy wet blobs of coloured acrylic :lol: :eek: :lol:

After a lot of perseverance I managed to get the hang of it (not took any photos yet - but may do a tutorial in time). So what did I do different? well I will tell you and hopefully some of these tips will help you :green:

The first thing I was doing wrong, was working to wet! all the tutorials I have seen/heard etc say that you MUST WORK DRY. Well let me tell you my geeky friends I thought I was :eek: I wiped as much of the monomer out of my brush on the side of the dampen dish, as I could, but to no avail!

I was using quite a large brush and was trying to pick up a small ball of powder - well even if you have flattened your brush and only use the corners it still came out too wet :eek: and too large :eek:

Now then, I realised that it was all to do with the amount of liquid my brush was holding. So I changed to a no 6 sized brush with a very long flags which also has a lovely point to it and quite a small belly.

I dipped my brush all the way into the monomer to release any air bubbles and wiped as much excess monomer out of the brush as I could! Then I did the unheard of :eek: I wiped my brush on the table towel! I then picked up the smallest bead ever. I still let it rest before patting it out and this is where I noticed the biggest difference. The bead was dry but because I had removed as most of the monomer out of the belly of the brush, when I pressed on the bead - it released just enough to make the bead pliable and easy to shape both with the point, flags and belly of the brush.

For the next bead, I only put a tiny tiny bit of monomer right on the very end of the flags, again let it rest then pressed it out :green:

I can now tell you I no longer have squidgy wet blob of coloured acrylic but lovely double dipped flowers :green:

I must also tell you that Jac Extreme :hug: gave a very handy hint which was to do 50/50 monomer and acetone - the mix ensures a quick dry rate :green:

You will let me know if any of this helped xxx

Eh Snuggs, I'm not an l&P gal myself and don't know the foggiest what you are on about, but it sure made for entertaining reading. Whatever you accomplished ....... well done!!:green:

Well done. I did have a go at this last year and I too ended up with horrible wet squidgy blobs inrecognisable as anything really.

Rachel xx

believe me the 50/50 thing works really well, give it a try and you will be surprised at the difference.

Well thought out :)

A Mini honi CND brush works fantastic for 3D work, I've never had to mix acetone with monomer, good tip but work drier & now that Moxie Liquid is available the colours pop & whites are white.

XX J XX

Eh Snuggs, I'm not an l&P gal myself and don't know the foggiest what you are on about, but it sure made for entertaining reading. Whatever you accomplished ....... well done!!:green:
Mrs C - you are so cheeky :lol:

believe me the 50/50 thing works really well give it a try and you will be surprised at the difference.
I will give this a go Jac - hope you didn't mind me mentioning it :hug:

Jnail fab advice - thank you - do they still sell Mini Honi brushes xx

Rachel - don't give up you will manage it - promise xxx

Well thought out :)

A Mini honi CND brush works fantastic for 3D work, I've never had to mix acetone with monomer, good tip but work drier & now that Moxie Liquid is available the colours pop & whites are white.

XX J XX
never thought to try it with moxi will give it a go.

another thing that helps me is to pick up my bead and then touch the back of my brush on to some tissue to take away any extra monomer before i place the acrylic.
i use a small flat pointed brush, i'll find out what it is and post it up for you.

p.s hope you dont mind me adding to your thread.

another thing that helps me is to pick up my bead and then touch the back of my brush on to some tissue to take away any extra monomer before i place the acrylic.
i use a small flat pointed brush, i'll find out what it is and post it up for you.

p.s hope you dont mind me adding to your thread.
Don't mind at all - all these little bits of info really help - so add away :green: :hug:

Sorry if I'm hijacking your post a bit Debs:eek:

But is a #5 oval brush, the same shape n size wherever you get it from? I was watching a video tutorial last night on 3D flowers n that is the brush she was using, but it was from the states.

I just loved the size and shape of the brush, it looked great for getting the detail on the petals.

So if I get a #5 oval from an art shop, will that be the same as the one I saw her use?:confused:

Loved all the tips Debbie, I've not had a go yet, will be playing really soon, n will prob not have as many hiccups as I would have done without this:green:

I am going to upset the balance here because I actually use a large brush ultra sculptor for all my 3d work but I tend to only use the flag of the brush to pick up my bead :)

Yeah same as but i also use a tiny nail art brush that i found at sallys hair and beauty supplies when i pick ut my bead i sometimes then just put it on a piece of kitchen roll and pick it up again this absorbs some of the liquid out of the bead?

does that make sense?

As far as I know they do - They're in our product brochure here? Hope you can still get one.

Moxie sets that lil bit quicker so no squidgy blob's, great for cold weather too

:) J :)

Lelli Loo Loo you are not upsetting the balance at all - like Phoebe_Cat said, I had seen a tutorial with a large brush. This is why I tried it first because it seemed to be the best thing to use. At the moment - it just doesn't work with me :lol:

I do think that when I have practiced more, I hopefully will be able to use any brush - and produce fab work like you Lelli :hug:

Jnail - thanks for the info - I have got some Moxie and I will have a look to see if they still do the honi :hug:

Lelli Loo Loo you are not upsetting the balance at all - like Phoebe_Cat said, I had seen a tutorial with a large brush. This is why I tried it first because it seemed to be the best thing to use. At the moment - it just doesn't work with me :lol:

I do think that when I have practiced more, I hopefully will be able to use any brush - and produce fab work like you Lelli :hug:

Ah thanks Debs I have always used ez-flow powder for my 3d work I do find that it is a lot easier to work with drier than some of the other makes :)

Ah thanks Debs I have always used ez-flow powder for my 3d work I do find that it is a lot easier to work with drier than some of the other makes :)
Gotta admit that all the 3d work I have seen with Ez-flow have been fab - I once saw a set that Ant Buckly had done (on Judy1999 - lucky thing :green: ) and they were amazing (as are yours Jess' ) and as many others are Glorsclaws, the lovely Jac Extreme and some of the new up and coming nail techs - I hope I can be as good as you all :hug: :hug:

(sorry if I missed anyone out and if I did there's a :hug: for you :hug: )

Gotta admit that all the 3d work I have seen with Ez-flow have been fab - I once saw a set that Ant Buckly had done (on Judy1999 - lucky thing :green: ) and they were amazing (as are yours Jess' ) and as many others are Glorsclaws, the lovely Jac Extreme and some of the new up and coming nail techs - I hope I can be as good as you all :hug: :hug:

(sorry if I missed anyone out and if I did there's a :hug: for you :hug: )

Cant wait to see your art work and yes you have such good teachers on here :)

believe me the 50/50 thing works really well, give it a try and you will be surprised at the difference.
Forgive me for being ignorant.........I didn't even realize you could mix the monomer with acetone!?
I gather this doesn't damage the sable brush in any way? (Well I suppose it doesn't if the 50/50 idea works!)

Wow!:idea:

Julie I didn't know either - loads of helpful people on here :green:

Can't wait to see the pics, glad you sussed it in the end!! :)

Will using the 50/50 acetone mix dry the brush out at all, is it pure acetone? As would have thought it wouldn't be great for your brush? Or does the monomer even/cancel it out?

Latest posts

Back