5 weeks inbetween! Well enough is enough

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fab Freak

Reaction score
Tonight i am off to see a client who 3 months ago decided 4 weeks was fine for maintenance appointments, even though I strongly advised against it....

Now last time I saw her she bundled me out there door without making an appointment, so I thought she has my card and my price lists, and aftercare both all with my number on....but nothing just going into week 5 and I get a call on friday asking me Where were you last week?, i am confused, so I say sorry but we didnt book an appointment - "well I was sat all ready and wait for you" so i asked well I am sorry but there was no appointment booked and i was full that week, so I asked when she was available .....so we agree tonight...

:twisted: I couldnt understand so Dean made me get me diary out and she had obviously just assumed I would turn up 4 weeks on from her last appointment

I am so annoyed how dare she presume I would just turn up....

Then to make matters worse I was at her great nephews first birthday party on Saturday and to add insult to injury as I was leaving she shouts across the room, see you on Tuesday thats if you remember :evil: - I was so mad i wanted to shout back " well now you've booked an appointment of course I will" I didnt though..

I just walked over smiling and gave her one of my new fabulous business cards and said oh while I remember please have one of these - see you tuesday....

Well this is it no more messing me around - Like a plonker I have been letting her have rebalances at £18 for a 4 week period from now on its either £36 or 2 weeks tops or find another technician...but heres the hard part how do I tell her without sounding rude or bossy....

Any good straight to the point advise for this situation gladly received...thanks

PS new price list I am about to print contains 4 week rule...

Fab Freak said:
PS new price list I am about to print contains 4 week rule...

Here is your perfect opportunity - whilst chatting, point out the formalisation of your rebalance costs (don't say it's a new rule as it gives her something to moan about) in your new price lists. Explain to her how much more work a four+ week rebalance takes, compared to a 2 week or new set, and all the usual stuff you would tell her about why you should rebalance after 2 weeks. Smile confidently all the time, and be strong :biggrin:

Let us know how you get on afterwards

T
xx

Trinity Nails said:
. Explain to her how much more work a four+ week rebalance takes, compared to a 2 week or new set, and all the usual stuff you would tell her about why you should rebalance after 2 weeks.
I agree!!! ... How much do you charge for a soak off and full set? Because I'm sure the length of time you spend / amount of work you have to do rebalancing after 4wks, you may as well soak-off and reapply. She's obviously trying to save herself money, but she's costing you money!
Explain that although you don't charge by the hour, you have to take into consideration the amount of time spent, as well as your costs (products used) - so a 4wk rebalance will just cost the same as 2 x 2wk rebalances!!

Having said that, I'm the worst for giving in, so I know how you must be feeling!

Hi there,

Just wondered - do you get much more lifting after 4 weeks than you do after 2 weeks?

I only ask coz my friend often leaves it for 4 weeks if she has no breakages and I find it takes me the same amount of time to do the rebalance as it would after 2 weeks.

I don't charge her any extra because it means I can fit a couple of extra clients in between seeing her.

How long does it take you to rebalance? It still takes me 2 hours (the same as a full set). One day I'll get faster - I hope! :D

Best wishes,

Karen

are you sure we don't have the same client!!!
I have one, who used to go to a NSS in london and then she moved out to hertfordshire.
She's the sort who rings up at expect an appointment there and then to fix broken nails but she leaves it 4-5 weeks between each fill - despite me stressing how important fortnightly appointments are. The final straw came when i'm walking out the door with my family one Sunday and my phone rings...she's broken a nail, 3 feel loose and she's meant to be bowling that afternoon and won't be able to..and the way she says it is like it's all my fault for shoddy workmanship.

in the end i explained that it was false economy on her part having the 'odd nail' repaired at £4 each rather than book a fortnightly appointment for £20 and so the lecture went on.

The message obviously went in, as she has booked appointments now for every two weeks for the next 3 months!

To be honest, she was driving me mad and i did consider changing my price list for a 2 week, 3 week and 4 week maintenance...i still might. She's been pretty good now for 2 months so fingers crossed

having read many times about people leaving appointments longer than recomended i too have revamped my price list. I charge £20 for a 2 week rebalance, it then goes up £5 every week after that so if they leave it 4 weeks its the cost of a new set virtually.

I think if you do this, people will be less likely to do this. I also don't give free repairs when i do a rebalance. I used to include one repair in my price, but found most of my clients always have at least one break. In the end you are losing money as it takes more of your precious time up.

You must charge for your time as well as your skill.

Louise you are being WAY too nice with this lady!
Crack the whip with her!
I think you should definetly re-do your price list. The only way to show clients like this that you mean business is to make your policies known, and stick to them.
How rude and embarressing of her to shout something like that across the room! She doesn't realize how good she has it.
Show her you are a professional, and that you expect her to treat you as such by "properly" booking appointments, and paying for your time and expertise.

mgloverfam said:
Louise you are being WAY too nice with this lady!
Crack the whip with her!
I think you should definetly re-do your price list. The only way to show clients like this that you mean business is to make your policies known, and stick to them.
How rude and embarressing of her to shout something like that across the room! She doesn't realize how good she has it.
Show her you are a professional, and that you expect her to treat you as such by "properly" booking appointments, and paying for your time and expertise.
Hi Diya.**Hugs**...I did last night, I told her no more....and said we must go back to 2 weeks thereabouts and she was fine..... :rolleyes: I couldnt beleive as I had a big speach prepared, and I didn't even need it..... :o lol

But there worst thing is shes got black nail... :eek: see my other thread for more info....ttfn

Hi Ya, i can totally relate to this at the mo, i did my friends nails about 5 weeks ago and she contacted me last night saying their looking awful and will need to be removed, i have been telling her for the last 2 weeks we need to re-balance them etc etc given her time after time aftercare advice shes a terrible nail abuser and last night was the final straw i had to reiterate to her that nails are not tools - but its just so frustrating x

Karen said:
Hi there,

Just wondered - do you get much more lifting after 4 weeks than you do after 2 weeks?

I only ask coz my friend often leaves it for 4 weeks if she has no breakages and I find it takes me the same amount of time to do the rebalance as it would after 2 weeks.

I don't charge her any extra because it means I can fit a couple of extra clients in between seeing her.

How long does it take you to rebalance? It still takes me 2 hours (the same as a full set). One day I'll get faster - I hope! :D

Best wishes,

Karen
Hi Karen - its reducing the length that takes the time so she is getting an infill and a rebalance for the price of one -

I have not been thinking like a business woman, she should be paying me £36 & not the £20 for a rebalance so I am losing out!!

Plus the nails look aweful so grown out IMO so now its back to fortnightly to keep them tip top and keep the pennies rolling in lol

...ps it takes me one to one 1/2 hours to rebalance..

talented talons said:
having read many times about people leaving appointments longer than recomended i too have revamped my price list. I charge £20 for a 2 week rebalance, it then goes up £5 every week after that so if they leave it 4 weeks its the cost of a new set virtually.

I think if you do this, people will be less likely to do this. I also don't give free repairs when i do a rebalance. I used to include one repair in my price, but found most of my clients always have at least one break. In the end you are losing money as it takes more of your precious time up.

You must charge for your time as well as your skill.

I quite agree Wenday about charging for time and skill - and from no one no one gets 4 weeks between any appointment full stop. If any problems are occuring these wont be seen.....I

Luckly its only been one customer but one of the original customers that was trying it on....but NO more, the ironic thing is she never ever breaks a bloody nail which is great for me really, but from another point of view I thin that's why she felt she could manage for 4 weeks because they dont break. :eek:

You cant win lol

Hi all

Just wanted to ask I agree with the extra charges for 2 weeks or more. But what happens when you have a client who does not need to return for 4 weeks because their nail growth is slow?

Thanks

Karen said:
Hi there,

Best wishes,

Karen
Wow Karen!
You have to write a book, and tell us your secret! LOL!!
Your clients nails must grow really slow, and you must be using a really strong product that causes them to NOT to break and need repairs.
I'm just kidding with you.
But in my years as a nail tech, I have NEVER known a client who could go 4 weeks without some much needed maintenance.

Latest posts

Back