A couple of videos that the extensionists may find interesting...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Astarstyle

Reaction score
I'm adding a couple of videos for you to have a look at if you wish, it may answer a few questions some of you have. As well as why there is such a vast difference in price in the hair depending on where it's from and how it got to the end user.

And the ethical issue also. Hope they help.

The 'Whose hair is it anyway'? video is split into 6 parts, I am just linking the first, I am sure you can find the rest :)

Jamelia Whose Hair Is It Anyway - Part 01 - YouTube

Witness - Witness - Hair India - YouTube

Happy watching x

There are some others which are linked from these videos.... say, if you want to look more particularly at Russian hair etc... they are quite interesting too. Helps make your mind up on just what is the most ethically obtained hair regardless of the monetary value. x

I've just watched all the Jamelia episodes, I don't really know what to say or to think, very in depth... Erm... Yeah, any other opinions?

Yeah, some parts are not easy viewing but I think it would be beneficial for some to see behind the scenes... I am all for education for people to make their own judgement calls on things. x

Totally agree. Some parts are hard to watch and understand but some are quite reassuring at this moment in time I am very unsure bout it and need to think about and research further before making any decisions. Very baffled by it, if any of that makes sense x

I think extensionists need to watch and understand this video so I am bumping it up :)

it actually made me cry, in the temple with the children was very hard to watch! i found it really interesting!! - but when coming to the end the story seemed a little better if you know what i mean especially with the temple hair to know that it was sacrificed for someones dreams and hopes.
As much as i have never believed any hair comes from dead people im not convinced anymore i know it dosent touch on that too much but goes to show because its such a huge industry you just dont know do you.

it actually made me cry, in the temple with the children was very hard to watch! i found it really interesting!! - but when coming to the end the story seemed a little better if you know what i mean especially with the temple hair to know that it was sacrificed for someones dreams and hopes.
As much as i have never believed any hair comes from dead people im not convinced anymore i know it dosent touch on that too much but goes to show because its such a huge industry you just dont know do you.

I agree, it's not the easiest thing to watch... especially having babies of my own... but this ritual would be carried out regardless of the western demand for extensions and I know that the hair shaved from these babies head (for their own beliefs/religious rituals) will not be what we, as extensionists will be using. x

I've only watched briefly, but I was recently shocked when an ex of mine , formerly from Manchester, but now in Thailand posted on FB pictures of his babies with their heads shaved, he says it was Thai tradition. I found that hard enough to look at.

I've only watched briefly, but I was recently shocked when an ex of mine , formerly from Manchester, but now in Thailand posted on FB pictures of his babies with their heads shaved, he says it was Thai tradition. I found that hard enough to look at.

I know what you mean it is pretty harrowing but my only consolation is, thankfully, we would not be using this hair for our work. It, along with the shorter hair collected, is primarily sold to chinese firms which extract proteins such as El-Cystine which is an amino acid used in food preservatives as well as other things. We cannot change their cultures and beliefs no matter how we feel for these babies :-( x

Very interesting vids

Latest posts

Back