A few spray tan questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lush-Lash

Reaction score
Im slightly embarrassed posting this as I'm not even brand new to tanning :(

I've sat all morning searching salon geek & think I've confused my self more now than before I started. lol

if anyone can help with the below questions id be extremely grateful

Question 1 - I'm having problems with barrier cream (la tan barrier cream is what I've been using) I apply it very thinly to hands, feet, elbows, knees. The elbows/knees always look ok but my clients hands/feet are always white or an off white colour. Its actually peeing me off now as I've even gone with the no barrier cream at all method & they've still been white.
I'm almost sure I'm spraying close enough, but it must be something I'm doing wrong as it's happening to almost every client :eek: if I ditched la tan barrier cream & switched to an oil free moisturiser would this be ok instead?

I'm shopping at asda later so I was thinking of picking some oil free up from the 'simple' range to use. does anyone else use this brand? if not which do you use.

Question 2 - do you put any creams on the inner wrist area or just leave it? I don't want any horrible cuff marks or tidelines so what's the best option to avoid this.?

Question 3 - how do you buff? I've got a buffing mitt but never used it, I've always just used some kitchen roll folded up & gently wiped the inner wrist area to kind of eliminate those lines you get. would I do the same with my buffing mitt? & is how I've mentioned the way to actually eliminate those lines?

if it helps I'm using the ts20 machine, have my density dial on the back set at 8 ish & I use nouvatan solution xx

Iv been spray tanning 10 years, I never buff, there is no need if your not over spraying and never use barrier cream unless they have small patches of dry skin on knees etc. I never use it on palms of hands.

I do not think changing your barrier cream is going to fix your white hand problem. I think this is you not spraying the hands with enough solution rather than your barrier cream being the problem as you say you have tried no barrier cream and you still had white hands. If you do want to get a different cream to save pennies etc.. then Aqueous cream is a great cheap cream and does the job we need it to in tanning, it is available from most chemists in big tubs for about £1. I decant mine into a washed out pump bottle that my tanning barrier cream came in with my kit.

If you could explain exactly where you are applying the cream on the hands and how you spray the hands we might be able to give you some things to try and resolve the problem.

I get my clients to apply barrier cream to their palms and then rub the wrist area together (if you put your wrists together to creat a V with your hands then rub them together with a small amount of cream from the palms it is enough to avoid over tanned wrist issues).

I do not buff or dab or touch the clients after spraying them - if you twist your gun away while spraying and they have applied the cream as I explained above then there are no lines or anything on the wrists and they get a nice blended tan without buffing.

Tanning mitts behave differently to rolled up kitchen roll - kitchen roll is made to absorb so will pull lots of the tanning solution off the skin but a mitt is designed to move the solution around and not absorb very much of it, rather than to remove the solution like kitchen roll would.

The only time I buff is if I get a major run somewhere that needs to be blended in for the person to be able to go about their business while the guide is still on, if I get a run somewhere that would be hidden I wouldn't touch it, I'd just dry it off with the hose and leave it as it is.

I do not think changing your barrier cream is going to fix your white hand problem. I think this is you not spraying the hands with enough solution rather than your barrier cream being the problem as you say you have tried no barrier cream and you still had white hands. If you do want to get a different cream to save pennies etc.. then Aqueous cream is a great cheap cream and does the job we need it to in tanning, it is available from most chemists in big tubs for about £1. I decant mine into a washed out pump bottle that my tanning barrier cream came in with my kit.

If you could explain exactly where you are applying the cream on the hands and how you spray the hands we might be able to give you some things to try and resolve the problem.

I get my clients to apply barrier cream to their palms and then rub the wrist area together (if you put your wrists together to creat a V with your hands then rub them together with a small amount of cream from the palms it is enough to avoid over tanned wrist issues).

I do not buff or dab or touch the clients after spraying them - if you twist your gun away while spraying and they have applied the cream as I explained above then there are no lines or anything on the wrists and they get a nice blended tan without buffing.

Tanning mitts behave differently to rolled up kitchen roll - kitchen roll is made to absorb so will pull lots of the tanning solution off the skin but a mitt is designed to move the solution around and not absorb very much of it, rather than to remove the solution like kitchen roll would.

The only time I buff is if I get a major run somewhere that needs to be blended in for the person to be able to go about their business while the guide is still on, if I get a run somewhere that would be hidden I wouldn't touch it, I'd just dry it off with the hose and leave it as it is.

I just rub a small amount all over the hands, I rub it in really well so it's invisible on the skin iyswim. & i apply obviously a thicker amount on the palms, I've tried 2 different methods with spraying the hands/feet both with the same outcome so neither has really worked.

1st method - spray from shoulder all the way down over hand in 3 sections making sure all hand is covered, same with feet in 3 sections making sure all is lightly covered.

2nd method - claw hand & spray in a v shape, same with feet spraying in a v shape.

I've experimented a bit, used cream/no cream, sprayed closer.

So if I buy aqueous cream can I use this all over the hands or would you recommend just rubbing it in certain places of hand? thanks for your time x

I don't put cream on the backs of the hands at all, just the palms and wrists. I spray down the arms and flick away at the wrists. Spray the rest of the body and right at the end I spray the hands and feet.

I get the client to hold both hands forward in a claw and I spray from left to right accross the 2 hands in 1 swipe, this is enough for the hands to tan. If your finding they are not tanning when you do this then you could try spraying them twice to see if that helps your results (do it once at the beginning of the routine and once at the end so the solution has time to sink in a bit before you apply the extra solution.

I spray the feet in a v to ensure I spray both sides of the foot (around the leg) and the top of the foot & toe area in one spray.

Aqueous cream is an oil free moisturiser so can be used on knees, elbows, palms (thicker layer) etc.. so can replace your barrier cream totally and will give the same results as a barrier cream.

I bought some aqueous cream today was only £1.25 for quite a big tube so think I'll stick with this, today I've done 2 clients & what I did was rub it all in the hands & wrist & feet only a small amount. I sprayed over the hands/feet & they didn't look liked they'd been tanned so I went over again, they looked ok then, so I'll adapt to this method of going over twice & hopefully things will be ok x

Well it sounds like you feel more confident with spraying them twice so don't forget to come back and let us know if the double spray works for you.

Latest posts

Back