A lot of business from natural nails?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laney303

Reaction score
I am going to be starting a nail course after Christmas now. I was going to be doing a level 3 nail tech course and was looking into doing gel extensions and shellac mobile when qualified but now im sure if I just want to do natural nails and study manicure and pedicure and then do cnd courses on shellac and minx.

I was obviously thinking that I would have more options if I study the level 3 and it is obviously the better option doing this course as I could pick and choose what I offered but I am just not sure if I want to offer extensions.

Anyway, my question is, can you get a good business from natural nails only?

Thanx in advance for any help.
Lorraine x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Hi i was also going to do a nail enhancement course but decided not to. Instead i purchased a spray tanning kit and training.

To answer your question yes you can do well from natural nail services only. I do Shellac, Minx, Manis and Pedis. I also do a large range of beauty treatments but id say 90% of my time is spent on natural nail treatments (mainly shellac).

I find it depends on the age range of your clients the majority of mine are between 25 and 50 and from them i've never been asked if i do enhancements, i think if your clients are younger than 25 your are more likely to do well with enhancements, but this could just be the case in my area. Every area is different.

Good luck in deciding what you'd like to do! x

Yes you can make a good business doing natural nails only but I would recommend this includes Shellac and minx and the previous poster suggests. Manicures are very popular but the majority of my revenue on the nails side comes from Shellac and Gelish x Spray tans are also very popular x HTH

Thank you for your reply. I was thinking after my course of doing a semi perm eyelash course as well and then hopefully more things. I think i would feel more comfortable doing natural nails but im just worried i would regret not doing the whole course.

Nails is something i defiantly want to do, I could spend hours going through this forum just looking at nails. I just keep confusing myself as what I should do lol

Xx

I am going to be starting a nail course after Christmas now. I was going to be doing a level 3 nail tech course and was looking into doing gel extensions and shellac mobile when qualified but now im sure if I just want to do natural nails and study manicure and pedicure and then do cnd courses on shellac and minx.

I was obviously thinking that I would have more options if I study the level 3 and it is obviously the better option doing this course as I could pick and choose what I offered but I am just not sure if I want to offer extensions.

Lorraine x

What do you class as a good business? For some it seems to be 4 clients a week, for others it is having 6 technicians in the salon all individually servicing 50 clients a week. What are you wanting to get out of a business in terms of a 'living'?

Geeg, I am currently only working part time in a cafe in a job I hate. I have a 2 year old who will be starting school next year so im looking to make a comfortable living doing something i love for once to fit in with my little boy. I currently earn little over 500 a month and my hubby has a decent earning job so we are 'comfortable' and get by. We don't have holidays abroad or anything but we get by. I just want to be in the same position more than anything doing something that will make me happy and not suck the life out of me everytime i go in lol

Xx

Geeg, I am currently only working part time in a cafe in a job I hate. I have a 2 year old who will be starting school next year so im looking to make a comfortable living doing something i love for once to fit in with my little boy. I currently earn little over 500 a month and my hubby has a decent earning job so we are 'comfortable' and get by. We don't have holidays abroad or anything but we get by. I just want to be in the same position more than anything doing something that will make me happy and not suck the life out of me everytime i go in lol

Xx

Then I would say to go ahead and do all the training you can get ... You will obviously be more versatile as a technician if you can do a multitude of things ... you will also not get bored just backing yourself into a corner and only doing one thing. I have always been an advocate of full service technicians.

Some have made a niche for themselves doing only one thing but my opinion is make your ONE thing Nails and everything it takes to do all services. Good luck, I hope you do well and that all your dreams come true.:hug:

Thank you Geeg, I suppose I keep answering my own question as I keep telling myself it would be better to have full knowledge than limited. Im just a worrier I suppose and it all seems very complicated some of the threads i have read about l&p and gel extensions but of course its going to sound a lot more scary when i have no knowledge and that is the point of learning. I think i need to get more confidence in myself and bite the bullet. Thank you

Hi,

I also wondered about the same things when I was setting up. As someone has already said, I suppose it depends on your area. I am level 2 general beauty therapy trained and do shellac and gelicure as well. I work mainly from home and do a small amount of mobile. I am working part time as also have a 2 year old but am making a reasonable amount of money (enough to pay the bills and have a little extra!) and have a great set of regular clients which is growing slowly all the time through word of mouth without me having to advertise.

In the 18 months I have been doing this I have only been asked if I can do nail extensions a handful of times. Therefore I have decided not to train in this side of the industry. Having said that, maybe if I had trained in extensions, and this was on my website etc I might be asked more!

I find that Shellac/Gelicure is my most popular treatment by far, followed by waxing, brow/lash tinting. I find spray tanning is requested more at some times of the year than others whereas my popular treatments bring in the regular money every 2-3 weeks.

Hope this helps xx

People do not often ask for services you don't do, but if they do, then you want to be able to say, YES, I can do that for you.

i am still new to this industry and have been trading for only 6 months and offer mani, pedi, gelish, gel enhancements and spray tans. I do all treatments mobile and I fit it around my family life as both my kids are at school and husband works shifts.
I find most of my small client base only ask for mani, pedi and Gelish and are really happy with the results. i do find though that some clients want that instant extra bit of length so go for enhancements and then after a couple of infils their own nails have grown and they go back to natural. i also find that offering an enhancement service is useful when clients mange to break their natural nail and don't want it to look silly next to the remaining longer ones!!
I personally would go for the whole nail package so that you will never have a client asking for something that you can't offer them.
I have had a few enquiries about l&p which I don't offer but am doing training in it soon so I can offer this also.
Good luck in the path you choose :D

I would have to say, if I relied on natural nail manicures etc for a living I would have starved to death years ago lol

I do a few odd manicures but the vast majority of my clients are for acrylics, quite a lot of Shellac, and a few gel . . . .

Just my thoughts and honest feedback xx

Lorraine x

Hey there,

I am a mobile therapist. Originally when I studied at college, I paid extra to do gel/ acrylic courses thinking that it would be a good money maker.. I did get a few clients asking for it back then (5 years ago), but I kinda realised that I hate doing extensions! So i took them off my pricelist...and nobody asks me for them...I then trained in eyelash extensions, spray tan and shellac and I would say these are by far the most popular / requested treatments from my end. Shellac is amazing! I am glad that I have trained in all though because now I know what I like and what my strong points are.

I know how you feel though, you don't want to "rule" things out, incase someone does ask....

Sorry I don't even think I have been any help at all! But I would think that you will def get requests for shellac / minx....xx

Ha ha ha. Thanx for the replys girls. Im not sure i want to do extensions at this point but I think i will do the full course just incase and see how i feel. Its always better to say yes i can than no i can't lol

Xx

Latest posts

Back