A "Master" In Montreal......

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know guys and gals, it really is counterproductive to complain about what these discount salons are doing to our industry. The only way to combat it is to FOCUS ON OUR OWN BUSINESSES. OUR OWN CLIENTELE. And EDUCATING THEM. People who are looking for a cheap set don't understand or CARE about the work we do professionally and pride ourselves on doing. It's like beating your own head against a brick wall and getting a headache- but who really caused the headache? We cause it ourselves by not focusing ON ourselves.

Ever hear of the Ripple effect? It may move slowly, but steadily the state of our industry improves, and we have to do our part by ENCOURAGING, and EDUCATING one another- Set the example!! And that means we HAVE to stop talking SMACK about each other! I am no angel, I have been just as guilty in the past, but as I have grown as a tech and as a professional, I have come to accept that these chains of salons will no doubt ALWAYS exist (think about discount HAIR salons, its the same thing really), because there will ALWAYS be customers that don't care. It's the spice of life. Just know that the clients that DO come to you, value you in every way.

I would LOVE to not ever see a disparaging thread about an NSS salon- I would much rather see an encouraging thread offering an alternative in a constructive manner, rather than comments made only in a disparaging tone.

You are all amazing techs, focus on YOUR business, and your clientele, and the mark YOU make on our industry. ;) You will have far less of a headache, I assure you :)

When someone comes to me from a NSS, I start a conversation... I tell the client that no matter where you go, make sure the tech and salon are licensed. Enough said. NSS are usually NOT licensed. Sad, but true.

When someone comes to me from a NSS, I start a conversation... I tell the client that no matter where you go, make sure the tech and salon are licensed. Enough said. NSS are usually NOT licensed. Sad, but true.

I'm not licensed. I'm not NSS. No licenses or minimum standards or requirements in Quebec. People have to hope that they have a conscientious tech that has sought out training on her own, and hope that her training was half decent.

I'm not licensed. I'm not NSS. No licenses or minimum standards or requirements in Quebec. People have to hope that they have a conscientious tech that has sought out training on her own, and hope that her training was half decent.

that to me in the most frustrating part! and it's not just in Quebec, most of Canada doesn't have licensing requirements. You need absolutely no training to work in this industry here, it's insane! I think that's the bigger issue, try to get the gov to set up regulations like they have for the hair side of the industry. Once that happens the techs in "question" will die out.

Wait, it gets better.... Now, I'm not sure of the accuracy of this...but...

As per my teacher, Canadians can NOT compete in an International comp because of our lack of requirements/standards.

IN ADDITION to this, we have only 2 comps: one in Toronto, and one in Montreal. As for the one in Montreal, technicians with knowledge limited to "tip & dip" have actually WON the comp with "tip & dip" nails :eek: For the one in Toronto, she didn't have any knowledge.

So why bother even busting my hump competing here? If apex-free nails that do not reflect skill of sculpting/shaping can win (because even tip and overlays of L&P/gel require shaping that tip & dip do not), why spend my money trying to compete here?:grr:

wow that's sad! we definitely need a push for better standards here! it's not fair that the techs that put their soul into each set don't get recognition when untrained fouls can even win comps! mind boggling!

Obviously all the comments got to him, as all the videos have been removed!!!!
And I never got a chance to see them :-( lol

Latest posts

Back