A note about privacy

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skymark

Lisamarie
Reaction score
I just wanted to take a minute to write up a quick post to talk about privacy. I meant to do it a couple of weeks ago when a couple of posts caught my eye and reminded me, but true to form I got distracted.

What I mean is, I see many people post opinions, stories and such that involve their partners / bosses / clients / family / friends / colleagues / In Laws and various other things and topics. What I also see is often people posting these things with either their business name as their username or their picture etc as their avatar or with a username they use elsewhere.

It is worth remembering how highly Salon Geek ranks on google and most of us found it by typing a simple query. So these things could very easily be seen by either the people you are talking about, other clients / staff / the crazy ex boyfriend etc.

So be mindful that if you use your identifiable details in your posts OR you use a username that you use on other forums (people searching your most used username from elsewhere is also a way to get spotted) then make sure that you dont post anything that you wouldnt want read by people in your life.

Sometimes because it feels like a community here people are very keen to let loose and while that is a good thing, I almost feel like sometimes I read post that I KNOW the poster would not want discovering by other people.

Boring lecture over :biggrin:

Good advice.

Also, do not post your email addresses!! Many do this and it is not a good thing to do if you don't want to live in spam city.

Totally agree. The only way to get round this is to write a private blog - only viewable by your salon geek friends.

I totaly agree with u all I think if you don't want people to read certain things about yourself friends colleges just don't right them on a public sight I know I will only ever write things that I don't care people reading so I can only assume that people who do right things really don't care about others reading them like myself x:lol:

Good point :)

A few times when I have looked on google for training etc, salon geek comes up with previous threads some of these go back a couple if years as well x

Have pointed this out so many times!
A few of my clients have seen me on here,although theyre not hair/beauty professionals.
Which is fine,as I only use the forums as theyre supposed to be used,but many dont.
Kate x

Really great advice from skymark :hug:

When I first joined Salon Geek I used my own name as my user name and it didn't take me long to get freaked out about it... I just had to google my name and all of my Salon Geek posts popped up.

Granted they were all just posts about Nails, but it got me thinking, so one of the Mods kindly changed it for me.

We are a community here and it is very easy to forget that the whole world can see what we post.

Some of the blog like threads I've read here have shocked me a bit... would you allow that kind of story to be in your local Newspaper for everyone to see? (I very much doubt it)

I know some Geeks like a bit of banter, but sometimes I think it's a bit unfair to the Moderators, as remember, they have to sift through them all, it is part of their job after all, as is closing blog like threads.

Blogs are great, but they belong in blogland! :biggrin:

an excellent point, lets hope that everyone reads this and learns.

This thread reminded me of one in a similar vein a while ago ( now I have checked it is 2006 !!) so this is a problem that has cropped up before.
At least now we do have blogs so more personal stuff can be posted there without 'guests' to the site having access.
In this time of the world wide web we do need to be watchful over what we post as once its out there...it is out there !!!

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/29558-who-reading-your-posts.html

Although I hope geeks just read this old thread and don't resurrect it....I hate it when old threads reappear and geeks think they are new :rolleyes: :lol:

Latest posts

Back