A plea for help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TracyS

Reaction score
Geeks - I'm at a loss with my mum's nails. They're really soft, to a point where varnish lasts a day or two before chipping (if we're lucky) and they are constantly splitting, quite low down.

I've tried everything I can think of and am now at a loss as to what to do next. We've done the buffing, polishing, hardening blah blah blah but nothing is helping.

So your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to recommend a product for ridiculously soft nails to toughen them up and help stop splitting!

Many thanks in advance.

Have you tried overlaying them with gel or acrylic, so that they have time to grow. Also, use a cuticle oil twice daily to deeply nourish the nail and promote healthy re-growth.

Conditioning oil - check (been doing that for a while now)
Gel/Acrylic - am desperately trying to convince her to give this a go but she's not buying into it, will keep nagging!

Gelish for colour and a little bit of strength but if I were you I would get some Structure Gel as well, it works wonders on nails that you describe. You can get these products from Nail Harmony UK. :green:

On a few of my clients that have have soft nails I have used gel and did like a clear coat of gel just on the tip of the nail(kind of like doing French polish) it keeps the ends strong but the nail plate free from product.. I recommend them using something like nurture oil or phonemen oil. You can paint over the nail as the gel is on the tips it stops the polish from chipping... I have had great results from this technique!!! Hope it helps

Firstly, lets clarify the diagnosis....

Soft nails, extremely flexible and TEAR across the free edge, often with a shredding action (think of like baby finger nails)

Hard Nails, snap easily from the side wall (where the free edge starts) they then break, usually right across. This is not a soft tear but a hard cracking action (think of a glass rod, it's strong, but if you hit it, it will shatter...)

Thin nails - this is the one that can stuff many techs up, they will appear to be soft, simply because they are thin they flex more. BUT they can be hard, ie, snap from the corners.

Hard nails should not have nail hardner applied, as this will actually make the situation worse.... the solution for them is tonnes of high quality oil (such as Solar Oil) that will allow more flexibility.

Tough nails - this is what we want ;) Nails that have both strength - the ability to bear force without tearing, and flexability. Think of a thick piece of rubber - it will take the impact and flex without snapping or breaking....)

So... are they thin? are they soft? or are they hard? Finding the correct diagnosis will dramatically help how you perscribe a solution...

Cheers everyone,

Envy : most definitely soft. They usually shred from the sides but can go from just about anywhere, they're extremely flexible. I have a 10 month old and to cut her nails I bite them (had a bad experience with nail clippers on my eldest when he was a baby!). My mums are pretty much like those. They're worse in winter. She's a sod because she doesn't wear gloves for dishes etc, no matter how much I preach.

I'm pretty lucky in that I've got really tough nails, plenty of flexibility but I could probably open locks with them when they're long enough!

Hope that helps

Cheers
Tracy

Lolly ,,do you buff the nail tip when you put on your gel edge? i have a couple of ladies with splits lengthways (damage perhaps) constantly split when any length is grown.

jenniferlouise, i have had many ladies with nails split down the middle quite far down the nail. i dont know if it something to do with age as i have noticed it in mature ladies? sometimes i use silk to keep the split held together and use a sculpting gel and put it under the free edge n set it in place. it holds it together quite well.. (not one of my ideas another therapist)

yes seems to be mature ladies.. do you buff and prep, thats my concern perhaps only making it weaker

If they are continuing with having their nails done just prep as normal, if not I would slightly buff where you will be applying the gel. Only with a fine grit buffer...
Sometimes it will grow out and hold it self together but I think the slightest knock will make it split...

To be honest, if she is not prepared to follow your advice in caring for her nails herself (wearing gloves etc) then I would not tear your hair out trying to help. I know it sounds harsh but if she wants nice nails she has to take some responsibility herself :!: We are not miracle workers with magic potions and clients, whether family or not cannot expect results without any effort on their part. You have recommended trying gel overlays but she won't... you have recommended wearing gloves for washing up but she won't..... do you really think she is actually using her solaroil twice daily then? Possibly her intentions are good but maybe actions don't always follow? Whatever action you take to help her nails, she MUST follow your aftercare advice or you are wasting your time and effort. On saying that, I know what it's like with mothers, so I do sympathise with you....keep trying :hug:

Have you tried regular hand and arm massage on your mum? This will increase the circulation ( even more necessary in winter) which in turn will nourish the nail bed. You may even try suggesting she eat a few brazil nuts each day ( if no allergey of course)! the sellenium in the nuts would be very beneficial for this condition. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back