Accreditation? Or similar to Licensing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VHunter

Reaction score
In likelihood, I won't find an answer here... but figured I'd try.

In Quebec, there is no licensing for techs. There is no diploma or whatever that is a type of guarantee of the quality nor training of the tech.

I want it! One, the other, BOTH.

I also want the equivalent of a masters'.

I want to be able to say on an international scale that I'm at par with the UK for Masters or NVQ's and/or at par with parts of the US for their licensing and Masters' as well.
I want to be among the 'creme de la creme'.

Did that make sense?

Does anyone have an idea what I might do, courses to take etc that will put me at par on an education level etc with those of you who have your NVQ's and licenses?

Even the course locally for EZ Flow is not like the one in the US, from my understanding.
The "complete" course for Acrylic (this would be intended for someone with ZERO knowledge of the industry in any shape or form) is only 3 full days to get a diploma.
To my mind... that doesn't seem like much.
(this is the course: http://www.francelecuyer.com/english/images/pdf/complet_anail_acry2 doc.pdf)

I have my DEP (a gov't recognized professional diploma) in cosmetology... BUT that was from 21yrs ago, was a 2yr course that focused mainly on hairdressing and esthetics, AND doesn't even exist anymore:irked: and no one knows what I'm talking about unless they're old enough to be my mother and even then, might not know what it is. Aside from the fact that I know my knowledge from then is outdated and much forgotten.:o (thank god for my books: doug schoon and marian newman and gigi's!!!)

So.... if anyone has any ideas on how I might proceed before I start investing in furthering my 'education' that might be worthless.... I'd greatly appreciate.

I'm putting together my plan of attack and budget... and am impatient to get where I want to be.
I want to be able to say I'm top dog and have the paperwork and education to back it up. At some point, I want to teach and not be like all the other pathetic places around here. Eventually, there will be licensing required here and I want to be able to meet the requirements.

crossing my fingers, welcoming all ideas, even online education (as abysmal as that can sometimes be).

giant :hug:

I have been trolling the internet several times today, to try to find 'better' education locally OR something online that beats what is available nearby (because obviously, due to demands of family & existing clientel, I can't leave home for an extended period for a better education :irked:)

If anyone has any ideas... I would greatly appreciate them
:cry:

I want an in-depth L&P course with all the basics since my DEP doesn't even exist anymore :rolleyes:. Something that would be recognized outside of quebec and RESPECTED.

Do they have Creative education in Canada? I remember when I did mine that it was very intense and they were really strict and it wasn't an automatic pass. I guess that's the standard you're looking for. They are recognised all over the world too. xxx

Hi V,

I had/have the same issues here in New Zealand so I can commiserate. I too went to beauty school many many years ago and am "accustomed" (best word I can think of) to being properly trained/'accredited/licenced.

As Kim said, if you can get training with Creative or EZ Flow, there training is world recognised and is definitely intense and not easy to obtain accreditation.

Wish I could help you boo, but I'm in the same boat over here.
Good Luck
Nancy :)

I was planning on EZ Flow, BUT the school that teaches EZ Flow is mentioned in my original post and the course is only 3 days long.

I find that rather bizarre. I dont' know how long courses are elsewhere... but when I hear of other's going for their diplomas in NVQ's and etc.. it just sounds a lot more involved than a mere 3 days.

I can't find a Creative course so far, in my search. While it's not my preferred product at the moment since I'd like to keep my eggs all in one basket (currently use EZ Flow Gel-It and LOVE IT), at this point; anyone that offers a course that is respected outside of Quebec (since Quebec has no standards of any kind) is the course that I'll go for.
Did that make any sense? Nothing against Creative!! I just would prefer to use products all from the same company and distributor, if that makes sense?

I'm just tired of feeling let down by my education, and feeling embarassed by it's that it was so poor. And while I have learned a GREAT DEAL on my own via books and this awesome site..... I want the papers that PROVE I am good....
ya know?

Thanks ladies!

Hi V, right there with ya! The EZF foundation I went to here was only five days and I felt that if I *hadn't* previous experience/knowledge, it would be pretty light for a newbie with no clue whatsoever. I still feel let down by the EZF foundation to be honest. I expected a helluva lot more than what I got. Your mileage may vary though.

That being said, a lot of the techs I spoke to here did do the "beauty school" route here in NZ and still didn't learn half what I (and probably you) did back in the 1980's!

I totally agree about staying with the manufacturer too.....you can always do a conversion later with whomever...but if you can't find EZF training, then you "gotta do what you gotta do".

As far as being qualified outside of Quebec....you mean the province I am presuming, did ya check with the dept of health/professional services in Ottawa to see if there was a Canadian standard (as opposed to a provincial one?). What do techs in Toronto need to have?

Not trying to make you more nutty, just trying to help is all.

Nancy

Thanks !
Much appreciated!

That's an idea I hadn't thought of... checking to see what the 'Canadian" standard is.... that would be somewhere to start.. to figure what direction I need to go.
THANKS, it's a great idea.

bedtime for bonzo now, and I'll re-read this tomorrow and do some research.

giant
:hug:

I wonder if EZF has an educators course you can take? At least it would be a start...
I personally haven't heard of any canadian standard, but if you come across something let me know! In BC we used to be licensed by the CABC and in 2003 our government decided we didn't need licensing so the CABC issued qualification certificates to all it's licensed members to prove we were fully qualified. They are now called the CIABC...
Cosmetology Industry Association of British Columbia - CIABC
They are BC based but you could always check with them to see if they can point you in some sort of direction.

But wouldn't I have to have some sort of master's for an educator's course?
I'll have to contact EZ Flow direct, I guess. I did send them an email already, and haven't yet had a response regarding accreditation and standards set here in Quebec, to get their feedback on the course that's local.

Here in Montreal, Quebec: I can simply take any course I wanted (online, 3 day course, 1 day course.. whatever) and start teaching. BUT... looking at the caliber of teachers out here... I have to doubt that they've had "educators course", know what I mean?
Unless there's one I don't know about.. and haven't found in my search so far...

I'll keep you posted on my findings.. already spent another 2hrs today researching. So far, all I've been able to learn is that online courses (previously frowned upon, even by myself) seem to have higher standards than those that are local to me AND require more hours:grr:

As for licensing in Canada, at present, only 3 provinces currently require licensing or have any standards set with minimum requirements. I guess Canada is behind the times for the 'salon business'??

I have found a school that 'presumably' teaches the CND class here in Montreal, BUT not completely sold on the idea that it equals the CND classes elsewhere...

If those of you that have taken CND classes could take a look at the PDF's on this link, could please compare and let me know.. I'd greatly appreciate.

Euro Pro-Selekt Cormetik

From what I can see, they're broken it into segments.

It's 6 days course for 'Beginners Basic"
L&P is 8hrs
Rebalancing L&P is 8hrs
Nail Makeover's is 8hrs

It 'sounds' more in depth than other courses that are local. I'm firing off an email to enquire further.

thanks in advance, everyone

PS: they've also labelled a couple of them as "Masters" once you open the PDF which I find strange, having a assumed that the training for that is more rigorous and a Masters can only be achieved after a certain amount of experience etc....

Last edited:
Another strange thing I noticed was at the bottom of the page, it says

Please allow 4 to 6 weeks delay from class date for delivery of your Master Certificate

Ummmmm "Master"?

Shall I presume that this course does NOT equal that of those in UK and US since it delivers a "Master" so easily?
Mind you, it does 'seem' to be the most detailed of anything else local to me
:grr:

At least there's that.

It sounds just about the same as mine did when I completed them last year.

S

Last edited:
I've been trading emails with them today, trying to get further information.
Such as:

What is the price for the total package
Is it the same as the course in the US & UK, is it 'the' CND course OR is it their own using CND products?
Is it available in English & the exams available in english (because, I suck at Chemistry and biology as it is, PLEASE do not confuse me further by doing it in my 2nd language).
And why is the Masters' given, when elsewhere the "masters' is a different course?

Of course, none of my questions were answered properly. Some ignored all together...
Despite having sent an english inquiry, I received a french reply AND because I don't know the french terminology for much of it, it was like reading a foreign language... didn't understand a darn thing.
I asked for the same in english and OF COURSE, it's not available.:grr:

IN ADDITION.... they call Acrylic "Resine Tisser" then put in brackets 'Acrylique'.... A literal translation of Resine Tisser is "Woven Resin"...:irked:
Since Acrylic is neither woven, nor resin....................
Frankly, if they are changing the name of it for marketing purposes because of negative connotations associated with Acrylic due to the NSS INSTEAD of trying to educate people that Acrylic is not a bad thing... I'm far from impressed so far...............

Needless to say I have reached an all new level of frustration and want to sit and cry because what I want is so far out of my reach and I'm beginning to think I have no hopes of attaining it, short of winning the loto and jumping on a plane. (sorry, on a rant, been a rough day).

It's all fine and dandy to be 'self-educated' for the most part (and thankfully I have this site pointing me to wonderful resources!!!!) .... but it certainly doesn't garner much respect and offers no proof of knowledge, qualifications, nor skills.

Additional frustration to add:

Course AND Exams are in FRENCH only!

Just got the emailed reply with YET the same unanswered questions hanging in the air.

I need a drink after this kind of fruitless day:rolleyes:

Ah crap! Cant' have one, client's tonight...
Can you imagine the drunken smiles on their french's?

blahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
gonna go find a hidey-hole and crawl in.
:cry:

Victoria...you are a fab tech and we have watched your progress over the years.
I can only IMAGINE how frustrating this is to you but! at the end of the day YOU have a lot of clients..you are known to be a great tech and eventually you WILL get the certification you really want.
Email all worldwide educators if you can and see if they are doing any courses near to you.
Honestly I will tell you if Ant even goes to the country hun xx

Ok.......... deep breath...

My childish temper-tantrum & cry-baby antics are finished (had myself a good blubber)...

Came back up to great informative emails that gave me food for thought... and awesome support...
Then of course, Judy goes and makes me cry again when I thought I was finished:lol:

Having said all of that... and given much thought to my situation, this is the conclusion I have come to.

- Schools and diplomas are fine and dandy, but don't always mean anything if the student didn't really learn anything or apply the knowledge.
- School diplomas aren't always worth the paper they are written on (look at Quebec....)
- I will take the course at the smaller school for the shorter time frame because at least it's in english and I can be sure not to mess up on the biology/chemistry part of it that way, and my exam will be in english too AND then I don't have to take a conversion later to get my EZ Flow training.
- I'm a smart cookie that can learn anything that I want to, and set my mind to, so I have this awesome forum to troll through and my awesome books to re-read that I have DUE to this forum (because prior,I hadn't known of their existence) and it got me this far... right?????

Now, the point of all this fuss is this: I log onto this site... and see awesome work.. and threads of congrats for nvq's and master's....
I see talent all over the place that I aspire to. It's not so much about putting a piece of paper on my wall for my clients (although, that would be nice) as being on an even playing field with my peers and earning their respect means a TONNE to me.

So, when I finish my course (which I'll book on Monday, for the earliest date possible) I'll invite my Peers to quiz me via my blog/journal. What exam could be harder than the one by your peers who are industry leaders? If you judge me to have passed, then that will be good enough for me.
:green:

For the time being, I'll satisfy myself with the knowledge that someday, down the road, I WILL open a school that will KICK A** and blow everything else in Quebec OUT OF THE WATER... so that no other tech in Quebec will ever have to settle for less than the best ever again.

In the meantime, I'll be patient. (or do my level best pretending to be patient HAHAHA)

:hug::hug: to all of you. Love ya oodles!

I just got off the horn with the school.
They require a minimum of 2 students to book a class (shouldn't take that long to find a 2nd... I hope????????)

So, with a minimum that low A) should start soon B) Means more one to one attention AND that if we breeze through, we can focus on some more advanced stuff and/or troubleshoot problem areas.

I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

On another note, the other school called me back (the one that was double the price) and NO the course is NOT the CND course that is in the US & UK, it is their 'own' course using CND products AND she had no explanation for the term "Masters" as it's waved around on their site and changed the subject
AND
she was trying to get me to sign up for a 300$ two-day art seminar with Jackie Truong of LeChat with only the possibility of getting a diploma/cert for that.
Ummm 300$ with no guarantee of having something to show for my work?
Umm I'll pass thanks!

Cross your fingers I get a call SOON!!!!!!!!!!!

Fingers and toes crossed hun, i hope they call you soon. :hug:

Wow Vic some SERIOUS frustration there.............. Deep breath my love, all I can say is there will be a pretty spectacular holiday for the Hunter family this year incorporating some nail training :lol::lol:

Sometime you just gotta travel, I have a masters and I hold a teaching diploma which hopefully will become a degree in teaching. despite this I still lock heads with the college I work with to improve the teaching standards! I just keep pushing that somewhere in this island is a coll who whats some quality training.

I feel for you but dont let it take away form how great you are.

Vannessa

P.S could there be a role for you with your local government to do some standards raising? Try searching for HABIA or VCTC to see if their international qualifications corss the pond or the IANT?

YES ooooodles of frustration :lol:

As for travelling......... not in the budget. Heck, our honeymoon was 3 days in the city of Montreal which is a 10min drive from here (ah well, no kids, no phone and I didn't have to make the bed HAHAHA)

As it is, the tiny course that I'm taking does strain the budget, but hubby is behind me and very supportive and sees the need for it, while it doesn't equal education abroad.....it's better than a kick in the teeth and better than other courses around... (at least they're not trying to teach 4 systems in 3 days like some places:rolleyes:)

Hubby is very excited by the growth of my business and looking forward to the day he can kiss his 2nd job good-bye and enjoy 2-day weekends again. He doesn't understand one bit about my obsession of having 'at par' education with the UK and some parts of the US, and he doesn't understand my need for respect amongst my peers and says "well, you know how to read, you're smarter than most...you're very well self-taught"... he doesn't understand that 'self-taught' doesn't garner much respect nor look good in a resume or portfolio :cry:
BUT he's supportive, so at least there's that.
4.5yrs ago, he humoured my attempt at this business, was supportive but didn't believe in it so to say. He was happy I was happy, ya know?
Now he sees how it's grown..... and he's excited.
He shakes his head when I say I want to teach.... ah well.. men LOL

I've been researching like the ****ens.
My intent is this: once I have my L&P and the advanced L&P, I'm going to draw up a business plan.
Business plan will be about expanding, furthing education, hiring a junior to train to the same standards as I will be reaching for, advertising campaign to educate consumers etc.. And eventually, about creating some sort of standard for Quebec and/or Canada and approaching Canada health about it too. I'm hoping to get a Grant as a "woman entrepeneur" but also as a small business creating job openings for locals and other women...
Anyway... lots to prepare.
I have to show the viability of this, and the possibilities.. etc..

I want Quebec to stand out on the map and NOT for being mediocre, but to be counted seriously among the best.

But most of all, for myself... I want to finish something for a change.
I never finished highschool (went back and got GED later). Left Cosmetology school 1mth short to work in a salon (later took exam for diploma) I never finished Secretarial (got hired right out of school by Investment Firm and worked up the ladder from receptionist to Office Admin/Exec Assistant in 7short years).
So many things that I didn't finish in life.....I could go on.
And this time, I want to FINISH it... and come out on top.
Christ, even my marriage was backwards and took shortcuts :lol: (10yrs & 2 kids & a house and after the fact, finally got married? LOL)
I want to respect myself for not having taken shortcuts.
The respect of my peers
Respect of my family and others and I'm TIRED of being looked at as the "little lady who paints nails":rolleyes:

sorry, on a tangent and my mind just hopped all over the place, been a tough morning:o and going beserk waiting for a phone call to start my course.

One of my best friends (I have 3 LOL) this morning who has been one of my BIGGEST supporters and encouraged me all the way (heck, she egged me on to use an e-file and volunteered to be my guinea pig when I was PETRIFIED OF THE THING).... she UNDERSTANDS how I feel when I look at all you peeps and see how good you are and understands how frustrated I am that although clients love me, and locally I'm tops (approached by 4 diff salons so far to teach their techs, and I declined all 4 times)... it's NOT ENOUGH........... she gets that, she understands.
SHE even realizes how crap that local school is that 'teaches' :rolleyes: 4 diff systems in 3-4 days for only 400$:eek:
Heck, she's watched my 'learning curve" and watched me go from gel-resine to uv gel, and all my hiccups all the way (trying diff brands, learning from mistakes....) and she was stunned when I told her about them.
(and FYI, I wasn't very nice and dropped Gigi's name and told them we're friends, and the woman claimed to know her too, and I pointed out we talk weekly - yes I was catty LOL - and that GIGI would be unempressed by her course ROFL yes, I wasn't very nice. I couldn't help myself haha).

Ok... I've put you to sleep now. sorry, I'll shut up.
It should probably be in a blog. My bad, and I apologize to mods.... I didn't mean to rant this long.
xoxox

ps: if you got this far, kudos to you for tolerating my craziness and yes, I'm on drugs this morning for my migraine HAHA

Latest posts

Back