acetone acetone acetone or...product remover..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niksaki

Reaction score
I went in to my nail suppliers today to get some files, polishes, tips etc etc and my teacher who i had my courses was in there, i asked the lady behind the counter if they had acetone and where could i find it...WELL....my teacher started saying to me i shouldnt be just using that i need the creative product remover etc etc....now im confused i mean sure the product remover would be best but a lot of you use acetone dont you?
she was a little snappy at me for buying the acetone....:rolleyes: :cry:

I do use acetone. and NOT from a hardware store. From my distributor.

Why was she snappy? Ummm maybe because she's not as educated as she likes to think she is and hasn't read recent materials (some used to think it was highly dangerous if absorbed through the skin)? Maybe she gets more profit on the pricier products and steers you towards those?

Who knows.

Yes, acetone is drying. However, if you hydrate everything after, and your clients are 'good' LOL and well behaved clients that use their cuticle oil religiously, I see no problem with using it for the occasional melt-off.
It's not as if they are using it everyday.

If you knew WHAT was in everyday household cleansers that people are using nearly every single day and NOT wearing gloves.... that amount of exposure has GOT to be far more dangerous than an occasional 'melt-off'

hth's

VHunter said:
I do use acetone. and NOT from a hardware store. From my distributor.

Why was she snappy? Ummm maybe because she's not as educated as she likes to think she is and hasn't read recent materials (some used to think it was highly dangerous if absorbed through the skin)? Maybe she gets more profit on the pricier products and steers you towards those?

Who knows.

Yes, acetone is drying. However, if you hydrate everything after, and your clients are 'good' LOL and well behaved clients that use their cuticle oil religiously, I see no problem with using it for the occasional melt-off.
It's not as if they are using it everyday.

If you knew WHAT was in everyday household cleansers that people are using nearly every single day and NOT wearing gloves.... that amount of exposure has GOT to be far more dangerous than an occasional 'melt-off'

hth's

well see i went in to the suppliers, she was there taking a gel class, and i was chatting to her then got what i needed then asked the other lady if they had acetone..well she heard and said blah blah blah about it being drying and all of that and said i should buy the product remover then asked me dont i have any of it left that i got in my kit ..i said yes but only a small amount and i wanted to take my nails off..and she then said well alright but only just use it this once..(she only works there taking the classes and she sounded a little snappy which is very unlike her) i just thought it was very strange so i thought i would mention it in here to see what you all use ..:confused:

oh i forgot to say i asked about another uv topcoat to use for my acrylics to make them shiney and she sighed..you know she always go on about creative this and that now i know they are great and i really do buy lots of it trust me!! :lol: but everytime i ask about a different product (not creative) its like a huge effort to tell me about it! :lol:

hey there hun,
being trained in melbourbe by creative myself I know how they work.... c'mon they are a supplier who want to sell their stuff! basically it is the same,, my teacher even said so herself... acetone is cheaper and just as effective!

kitty-kat said:
acetone is cheaper and just as effective!
the fact of the matter is.....
plain old regular acetone doesn't contain the buffers that are in product remover...

kitty-kat said:
hey there hun,
being trained in Melbourne by Creative myself I know how they work.... c'mon they are a supplier who want to sell their stuff! basically it is the same,, my teacher even said so herself... acetone is cheaper and just as effective!

Not all of this statement is in fact true.

Acetone is cheaper and Acetone is effective, but Acetone is not the same as product remover.

Product Remover IS less drying to the skin, even if you try to mask the drying effects of Acetone with oil.

Product remover has been treated chemically (which makes it more expensive) so as to NOT dry the skin. The molecules have been treated with a chemical buffer which stops the drying effects. If you have ever used it, you have seen with your own eyes that this is so.

Marketing isn't all hype ... there is often truth behind the hype.

If I am giving my clients a first class service with the highest end products, then I want to carry that service on right through the soak off. You only save pennies per client by using Acetone, but you give them allot better service with product remover.

HI

I am a biosculpture user and having tried both i have gone back to the biosculpture soak off. For the simple reason that the clients natural nails and skin just seem in so much better condition when i use it, i find it works quicker too.

I also have the cnd remover and acetone, tbh its personal choice one professional's opinion sometimes differs from anothers. The best way i find is to try it for yourself and make your own mind up. You have some product remover left do one hand with that and one with acetone and see what you think.

Good day

I have been using acetone for very long. And I don't have any problems. I buy my acetone at the pharmacy, because the gel removes much quicker. With the product remover it takes longer.

I don't have problems with my clients hands or nails drying. I wash their hands after it was in the acetone with a moisturizing soap.

Kind regards

i use the CND product remover and it is alot gentler (if thats a word) on the skin than acetone the acetone goes all white and evaporates too fast....
i dont think the product remover is very expensive...but you can cover the cost of this by a)buying a decent sized bottle (not the little ones) you save money on it this way
and b) charging your clients correctly for the removal then you are not paying for the product remover...

I charge £15 for this and a mini manicure, and i have never had a complaint and the majority of them never soak their nails off themself....hope this helps you...but you do get what you pay for i s'pose
HTH:Grope:

Hi, I've been using acetone ever...since... I started (and even before I started) and I don't see any problem with it. I actually read on some nails magazine a few days ago that there's no problem. Anywayz, I hope that helps. :lol:

foryouiwill said:
Hi, I've been using acetone ever...since... I started (and even before I started) and I don't see any problem with it. I actually read on some nails magazine a few days ago that there's no problem. Anywayz, I hope that helps. :lol:

I don't think anyone is saying there is a problem with using Acetone. There are just , in my opinion, better and less drying ways of doing the same job with professional products that pamper your clients a bit more for not much extra cost.

If you can't see a difference between the effects of product remover vs Acetone, then you must be using buffered acetone and not realizing it. It never says it is buffered on the label. But if it is acetone produced for the nail industry then it most likely will be buffered already.

heres a test for u (i did this too to see the difference cos i wondered this 2)

remove one hands nails with acetone and another hands nails with prodcut remover. the one with the acetone dehydrated my finger more - it was very white. (had to use loads of solar oil on my fingers after to rehydrate.)

they both removed the nail great just i found the product remover was less drying. xx

geeg said:
I don't think anyone is saying there is a problem with using Acetone. There are just , in my opinion, better and less drying ways of doing the same job with professional products that pamper your clients a bit more for not much extra cost.

If you can't see a difference between the effects of product remover vs Acetone, then you must be using buffered acetone and not realizing it. It never says it is buffered on the label. But if it is acetone produced for the nail industry then it most likely will be buffered already.

just a question please Geeg, i use NSI acetone and im wondering if this is buffered acetone?? like you say its not always written on the packaging but i suffer with dry skin and would definitley want to use a product thats less drying .
I never knew there was a difference between acetone or remover!!! you learn something new every day!!:)

ok thanks for the information

madferrit said:
just a question please Geeg, i use NSI acetone and im wondering if this is buffered acetone?? like you say its not always written on the packaging but i suffer with dry skin and would definitley want to use a product thats less drying .
I never knew there was a difference between acetone or remover!!! you learn something new every day!!:)

I think you'll have to ask NSI or get hold of the MSDS for the product. The MSDS will tell you any side effects the product might have. You particularly should be careful not to use unbuffered Acetone if you suffer from dry skin, and it is also particularly drying to ageing skin. I can tell you that Designer Nails "tip Remover/ product remover" is buffered acetone.

as someone who should know better, i resisted using product remover instead of acetone, mainly due to cost until a yr ago.
every time i soaked off with acetone, (some clients more than others) there was always white patches on the nail plate that sometimes would show through the product.
i have been using product remover for nearly a yr now, and i also use the gauze pad soaked in product remover wrapped in foil.
this method uses less product remover and doesnt get any mess on the skin.
today one of my clients arrived early while i was on the school run and asked one of the girls to soak off her nails b4 her treatment.
this particular girl still uses acetone and soaked her off in a soak off dish.
when i came back, and started her treatment, i quickly remembered the awful mess this method creates!
also, her nails were covered in white dry patches so i had to soak her nails in solar oil which obviously extended her treatment time.:irked:
the other thing ive noticed since not using acetone is i get less centre pocket lifting, and curling. im putting this down to the fact that the nail plate isnt as dehydrated.
soaking off product should b kept to a minimum, and if u use the pad and foil method, u wont b using as much anyway, so cost doesnt come into it that much anyway.
it also smells nicer!

niksaki said:
I went in to my nail suppliers today to get some files, polishes, tips etc etc and my teacher who i had my courses was in there, i asked the lady behind the counter if they had acetone and where could i find it...WELL....my teacher started saying to me i shouldnt be just using that i need the creative product remover etc etc....now im confused i mean sure the product remover would be best but a lot of you use acetone dont you?
she was a little snappy at me for buying the acetone....:rolleyes: :cry:
Hi chick I suppose every nail distributor has their own product remover acetone may be the main one but you might get that from a beauty warehouse. I also use acetone and lots of cuticle oil Goodluck Alixxxx

liza smith said:
as someone who should know better, i resisted using product remover instead of acetone, mainly due to cost until a yr ago.
every time i soaked off with acetone, (some clients more than others) there was always white patches on the nail plate that sometimes would show through the product.
i have been using product remover for nearly a yr now, and i also use the gauze pad soaked in product remover wrapped in foil.
this method uses less product remover and doesnt get any mess on the skin.
today one of my clients arrived early while i was on the school run and asked one of the girls to soak off her nails b4 her treatment.
this particular girl still uses acetone and soaked her off in a soak off dish.
when i came back, and started her treatment, i quickly remembered the awful mess this method creates!
also, her nails were covered in white dry patches so i had to soak her nails in solar oil which obviously extended her treatment time.:irked:
the other thing ive noticed since not using acetone is i get less centre pocket lifting, and curling. im putting this down to the fact that the nail plate isnt as dehydrated.
soaking off product should b kept to a minimum, and if u use the pad and foil method, u wont b using as much anyway, so cost doesnt come into it that much anyway.
it also smells nicer!

Yep with you on this one Liza, Buffered is better.......and if you work smart then the cost difference is minimal as you dont spend more money on products that will rehydrate and slow your service time down..as after all that rehydrating you then will have to dehydrate to get a non barrier free nailplate for the next enhancement service... all in all money well spend I would say...... sometimes what looks dearer is actually not and this is deffo one product.....

Latest posts

Back