Acetone Poisoning??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for replying - I really appreciate your comments and you've certainly helped settle my fears.

PS. Is this when I should give everyone rep points - I'm still not sure when I'm supposed to use them :lol: :lol:

From what I've been made to understand, this is an old fear. It's what techs used to think.
But apparently, it's not true. Kind of like an industry 'myth' I guess.

If acetone was that dangerous.. don't you think more techs would have liver problems from all the years of removing nail polish from their client's fingers?? After all, handling the sodden cotten balls exposes us to it as well.....
how many of you wear latex/rubber gloves when using acetone on your clients?

err... me!

PS. Is this when I should give everyone rep points - I'm still not sure when I'm supposed to use them :lol: :lol:

Well I gave pos rep for this thread - I'm not sure if I'm rep point happy, but I normally give it once or twice a day. To anyone who helps me, or goes out of their way to post something thats useful to everyone, or just to say I agree without having to post another 'i agree' post, or even if someone's being just plain NICE and helpful! Makes me feel good - makes them feel good! Hopefully!

I have another question concerning acetone... I have a friend/client that found out recently that she is pregnant. She has actually been pregnant for a while without knowing it, and have had her nails done and taken off. Now she is very woried if it could have done any harm to the baby!
I have off course put a towel over her hands while soaking in acetone, but I am starting to worry because she is so paniced....por thing.

Please tell me any thoughts and inputs.

Wizz

I have another question concerning acetone... I have a friend/client that found out recently that she is pregnant. She has actually been pregnant for a while without knowing it, and have had her nails done and taken off. Now she is very woried if it could have done any harm to the baby!
I have off course put a towel over her hands while soaking in acetone, but I am starting to worry because she is so paniced....por thing.

Please tell me any thoughts and inputs.

Wizz

Hi Wizz - you'll probably get a better response if this is in a new post, but to put your fears at rest, no there should be no harm done to your friend. I'm pregnant and chceked this out thoroughly before soaking my own nails off in my first trimester.

Thanks. I'll call and tell her right away.

Your right... I'll see if I can move it!

And It wan't to steel the thread. sorry.

Thanks

What you are concerned about is products that are called Taradagens
Chemicals that effect foetus's.

There are in truth only a few such chemicals - most of which can be found in cigarettes. Also only 200 chemical ingredients out of 20 million products studied are known carcenogens - None of which are found in cosmetics.

No sane company would use either carcenogens or Taradagens in an industry where your clients health is your business. All the manufacturers would have been sued and gone out of business as our clients dropped dead ! ;)

wow. scary but very good to know.
i also called the danish cnd academy to be sure there were no problems with she having had nails done... the fumes from the monomer liquid. I was pretty sure I was told at my training it wasn't a problem, but the poor thing has miscarried three times, so she is frantic now, not to do anything to provoke another..... not surprisingly.

I'll tell her about the taradagens. thanks a bunch

Hi Victoria, how are you hunny!

I have used gloves taking off polish using straight up acetone but found it ate through the vinyl gloves. So now I just use a cotton pad between my fingers and take it off this way.
Why not just use a non acetone nail varnish remover??

Latest posts

Back