Acne scarring - what treatments are best?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x-blush

Reaction score
Sorry if this post sounds silly - I am a fully qualified hairdresser and only dip into aspects of beauty such as lashes and tanning so not really educated with regards to skin, facials etc
Basically I had the contraceptive implant put in a few years ago and really didn't get on with it. I put on like 1million stone and suddenly got really bad spots around my chin (normal hormone area) when my skin had always been crystal clear.
I had it removed and my spots have cleared I get the odd one now and again but nothing like what they were but have been left with some scarring and redness which I hate.
Was wondering what beauty treatments can I try to improve this ? I know nothing will get rid of it unless its hardcore but don't know if something like microdermabrasion or a gentle acid peel may be worth while?
Help meeee xxxx

Hi, I'm an Environ therapist and my advice would be not to go for anything too extreme. Environ do a cool peel which is really gentle and is shown to reduce redness and improve the skins appearance after 6 treatments, although I think it's really important what you use on your skin day to day. I definitely think Environ products would help - I even offer a money back guarantee to my clients - but you would need to find a salon near you. Hope that helps!

I had a tca chemical peel years ago and gave amazing results xx

I've had something similar and am seeing gradual results with Bio Oil. HTH's x

We've had some amazing results from microdermabrasion and diamond-dermabrasion with reducing acne scars.

It obviously depends on the severity of your scars but should you look into having any treatments done, the therapist should be able to recommend an appropriate solution for you.

Helloo X-Blush, I had moderate-severe hormonal acne on my cheeks which were previously crystal clear much like yours, I started taking Dianette which stopped the spots but obviously I was left with some pretty bad scarring. Skin peels/treatments aren't really an option for me as I don't have the money to keep up with them consistently & the outlay was too expensive for me for it not to work. I went to Lush (I've used their skincare for years with amazing results) & got a hardcore exfoliator called Dark Angels which I massaged into my skin every night for about 10 mins until my skin was pink, I'd then apply a really nourishing oily cleanser ontop called Ultrabland & finish off with an amazing moisturiser called Celestial, 3 months on & the difference in my skin is incredible (I can actually be seen without makeup & look people in the eye for the first time in my life). Obviously anything skin/scarring related takes time but this is the most positive effect I've had on my skin since I was 8 (I started getting spots as soon as I hit puberty). If you'd like anymore info on my skin regime or products I used please don't hesitate to PM me :) x

Hello there, I have been doing micro and peels for years and although its a brilliant treatment some just are not strong enough and u may end up spending a fortune. I do a treatment called derma roller and the results have been amazing for sever acne scaring light scaring and fine lines. Look into it..it's amazing.x

I had 3 sebaceous cysts on my face when i was 21, ive been left with raised scarring and holes from them. Ive had two derma roller treatments and have seen a major difference. Im due to have another soon and shes also going to do mesotherapy on my face this time as well to try to close the holes over. Id highly recommend derma roller ive had fab results from it. It can be pricey and isnt the most enjoyable treatment but its well worth it for the results! X

I would treat this condition with a layered approach as well as treating texture you need to as substance to the skin and focus on rejuvenation
I would preform a derma roller treatment at the end of a course of procedures the last thing you want to do is create to much mechanical trauma on a skin with less dermal compactness
I would use ipl photo rejuvenation ,LED both 410nm and 640 nm (blue and red) with an intradermal retinol such as retinol parmitate
When the skin has built compactness I would use puramed professional lactic 30 as lactic acid is chirally correct it's a good choice choice on a comprimised skin I would get the client to use a non comedogenic hydrator such as puramed professional hyaluronic serum I would then preform two separate derma roller treatments .although this may seem a long drawn out process it is so important to maintain the skins integrity as well as promoting cellular renewal
Generally I finish off any layered approach to skin issues with a course of radio frequency skin tightening
Gentle heat trauma really improves the strength of collagen elastin fibroblast activity

Some form of topical vitamin A and derma roller. The acne needs to be under control before this process though.

Sorry if this post sounds silly - I am a fully qualified hairdresser and only dip into aspects of beauty such as lashes and tanning so not really educated with regards to skin, facials etc
Basically I had the contraceptive implant put in a few years ago and really didn't get on with it. I put on like 1million stone and suddenly got really bad spots around my chin (normal hormone area) when my skin had always been crystal clear.
I had it removed and my spots have cleared I get the odd one now and again but nothing like what they were but have been left with some scarring and redness which I hate.
Was wondering what beauty treatments can I try to improve this ? I know nothing will get rid of it unless its hardcore but don't know if something like microdermabrasion or a gentle acid peel may be worth while?
Help meeee xxxx

I would recommend a course of IPL skin rejuvenation treatments to help reduce the redness, improve the skin condition and heeling capabilities and then a course of dermaroller to improve any deeper scars, also the skin tone and texture and pore size, I'd also look in to your home care to help to continue to improve the skin condition during the treatments at home and also after the treatments too. In my experience I find skin peels don't do as much as the IPL especially for redness.

Hope this helps :)

Im glad you brought this up!!

I recently had to come off the dianette pill and had the merina coil fitted, i was fine for a few months then seriously started to get spots around my chin and up the sides of my nose, i still do, but have started to develop really oily skin!

Any help with reducing red marks and helping wih the oily skin would be great!!

i do try and get facials at the local college as its all i can afford when on the dole and not receiving Job Seekers Allowance!! xx

Im glad you brought this up!!

I recently had to come off the dianette pill and had the merina coil fitted, i was fine for a few months then seriously started to get spots around my chin and up the sides of my nose, i still do, but have started to develop really oily skin!

Any help with reducing red marks and helping wih the oily skin would be great!!

i do try and get facials at the local college as its all i can afford when on the dole and not receiving Job Seekers Allowance!! xx

Hi
Have you thought about the copper coil (I think it's called)
It has no hormones in it.. I can't use any hormones as they don't agree with me and make my skin so spotty

Again depends what it's like and if they still have acne. Sometimes topicals such as isotrex can help improve the texture before considering anything else.

Latest posts

Back