Acrylic liquid - dangerous?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TumbleD

Reaction score
Hi
I've recently been doing acrylics from home and my husband is worrying that the fumes from the monomer liquid may be dangerous to our children's health.
I use nsi attraction liquid.
I only use the chemicals when the kids are in bed in the lounge with the window open but just wanted a bit of extra background info on possible health issues.
Thanks guys
Xxxxx

Good Question, i cant answer it but hopefully somebody out there can?

i use the very same myself, my dad goes mad every time its in the house he says it kills him ha... it is very strong fumes and i hope they are not dangerous...

i do notice sometimes after doing a set i get a pain in my head i would defiantly put it down to the fumes,

I remember that same situation 14 years ago.. hubby complaining about the strong smell in our house, worried about children and me.

I can't really say if it will damage our health years down the line, but so far we're all still alive ;)

And my husband has been very impressed with my earning power thanks to nsi liquid over those 14 years

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I can't answer your question but here could be a solution for the smell ~ nsi do an odour free monomer

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345410986.369431.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1345410986.369431.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 777
Last edited:
I can't answer your question but here could be a solution for the smell ~ nsi do an odour free monomer
i want that but does it work as good as the nsi attraction liquid

I was told that the fumes are only dangerous if you are directly breathing them in, I.e leaning over it other than that its just smell. Whether thats the case or not I'm not 100%

Surely there will be vapours whether you can smell them or not, you would still need good ventilation.

I think some techs may get lulled into a false sense of security if there were no odour. I would rather smell it and know to make sure I open windows etc. Chemicals are fine if used for what they are designed for and used according to manufacturers instructions.

Also I have children in the house who won't even come in the same room when I'm doing l&p and that suits me just fine. xx

Really suggest reading Nail Structure and Product Chemistry by Doug Schoon - explains everything 😁 not all chemicals are dangerous because everything is a chemical! It's the vapours from the product that you can smell - fumes are different :) its all explained in the book xx

First, let's define a few things.
Vapour - molecules of liquid in the air from a liquid that is evapourating
Fumes- those are created by something that is burning
Odour - odour is a scent, prodcued by either of the above and etc.

Monomer releases vapours, and they are always present in the air EVEN IF you use an odorless brand.
Proper ventillation is definately adviseable, and Doug Schoon is a great learning resource for that and more.

Gigi Rouse/Geeg also has great advice on how to work 'smartly' to reduce the waste of monomer AND reduce the amount of monomer vapours released into the air. I advise you seek out her articles in the Tuts & Articles section. OR BETTER, get her book Nailclass.

On another note: I've been working from home for several years now. At first my hubby did the same: complained about the odour of the monomer vapour. But now he's used to it. And I've also learned to work 'smarter' with the monomer. I'd also point out that I'm prone to migraines and they are easily triggered by some household products such as: oven cleaner, bathroom tile cleaner, air freshners etc. I had been concerned that monomer would do the same, but it never has.

Your children are not in danger.
Do keep in mind: even if you do it after hours when they are in bed, the vapours are STILL in the house, even if dissipated (even if you smell them less).

ps: here's more from Doug Schoon http://www.schoonscientific.com/dow...ure/Guidelines-on-Inhalation-Exposure_ENG.pdf

I'm actually quite shocked that only Victoria has answered this question as a professional and that the rest haven't known the answer! This is standard CND education re COSHH and it really is inexcusable in my opinion that techs who are supposed to be trained professionals can not answer the question exactly as Victoria did ... Text book!

I advise you all to learn about the things you are using so you too can answer with intelligence when people ask you.

It is possible to work with monomer and to produce very little vapour if you work smart and understand your products. Minimising odour is really very easy if you just use a few easy precautions the largest being NOT to wipe liquid out of your brush on your paper towel!! Instead, dampen a gauze pad in ScrubFresh and ONLY wipe your brush on that, and only when you need to do so.

Latest posts

Back