Acrylic nails hurting - urgent!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fakeit

Reaction score
Hi, im writing this on behalf of my partner who is a nail technicain.

She put on a set of acrylic nails on a 17yr old customer yesterday with quite badly bitten nails. Everything went ok at the time and the client was happy with them.

This morning the customer has just rung my girlfriend at the salon to say they are hurting her (not to severely though). My girlfriend asked if theey were red or swollen the client said "no not really". She would like them taking off.

Does this sound like an allergic reaction or is it to be expected with such badly bitten nails?

My girlfriend has had her business for nearly a year now and hasnt come across this before. Can anyone give me and advice I can relay back to her?

cheers

Simon

Hi There

Sorry Can't Help You But I Would Like To Know The Answer Myself As I Have Had The Same Problem Before With A Nail Bitter.

I Personaly Thought It Was Because They Couldn't Nibble On There Nail Extensions. With Nail Bitters I Found When You Do Nail Extensions Keep Them Short Due To They Are Not Use To The Lengh Or They Keep Banging Them.

It could be shrinkage....i have had this myself....please feel free to correct me if i am wrong but doesn't it take a full 24 hours for L&P to fully set....during this time the product tightens as it sets and can be felt by the wearer.

I am not sure but i think some products shrink more than others....what make does she use...?

The feeling should pass, mine went away after a day.

here is a link http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/7958-nail-enhancements-pain.html?highlight=feeling+pain+from+nails

Hi TMOUSE, thanks a lot for your reply, I will pass this onto my girlfriend, did you soak the customers nails off for her in the end?

cheers

TMOUSE said:
Hi There

Sorry Can't Help You But I Would Like To Know The Answer Myself As I Have Had The Same Problem Before With A Nail Bitter.

I Personaly Thought It Was Because They Couldn't Nibble On There Nail Extensions. With Nail Bitters I Found When You Do Nail Extensions Keep Them Short Due To They Are Not Use To The Lengh Or They Keep Banging Them.

Hi Angie, this too is great will pass all this onto my girlfriend! youre all really helpful! :O)

cheers

Bagpuss said:
It could be shrinkage....i have had this myself....please feel free to correct me if i am wrong but doesn't it take a full 24 hours for L&P to fully set....during this time the product tightens as it sets and can be felt by the wearer.

I am not sure but i think some products shrink more than others....what make does she use...?

It is very hard to say what the problem is without seeing the nails.
Adding to what Angie said it could also be a number of other reasons eg: tips sizes were too small, if sculpted may have overpinched the c curve, or it could just be that she tried chewing them and has caused herself some pain by trying to pry them off with her teeth.
Wait until your girlfriend has seen them, then she should be able to see if the tooth prying method has been attempted. Maybe get a good quality picture of them before she takes them off, for future reference.
HTH

Bagpuss said:

I was wondering too as when I have a new set my thumbs are sore and feel almost bruised even though there are no visible signs of a problem. It does pass but its been bad enough at times for me to get quite bad tempered when I catch them. When you look at my nails head on at the free edge I have quite a high curve, the only time the problem hasn't happened was when my tutor did a set on me and she pinched a curve into them. No idea if thats connected to the problem though.

I experienced this some years ago, when a nailtech did a set of gel nails on me. It lasted for 2 days, then it didnt hurt anymore.

no didn't soak them off she bit them off the next day and then tried to blame me about the state of her nails. To be honest i hate doing nail bitters but i do full warn them about the nails before hand. Not to have them to long, never bite them off have them soak off, this way there nails will grow underneath.

I offer free cuticle oil to nail bitters as i have found they bit there side walls alot due to hard skin. This does help keep them on longer because if there is no hard skin there's nothing to bite.

Angie is right in what she says.

Tell the client to stop stressing and in 24 hours it will pass. It is not really a hurt, more a bit of tenderness. What will these girls ever do when they have babies for goodness sake .... ??? :eek:

geeg said:
What will these girls ever do when they have babies for goodness sake .... ??? :eek:

Suddenly realise the word pain is way overused in the same way you realise the very first time you really have flu that everything else has just been a sniffle.........

first thing that popped in my head as ang and gigi said..shrinkage
when i had my very first set of enhancements on i noticed a little while later my fingers felt a bit tender, bruised feeling without the bruise, like has been said it will go.

I remember getting this with a set of sculpts when i first stopped biting my nails whether your nails are more sensitive down to the biting i don't know but was told at the time it is shrinkage where the l&p was polymerizing

I have had clients complain about this as well....I think it may be the whole artificial thing .....the glue, tip, acrylic....it adds weight .....not much mind you ....but more than a natural nail....they are suddenly covered and are hard to get to ....( chew) my mothers a nail biter:irked: ....I tell her it's the body's way of reminding her to keep them out of her mouth ! :eek: anyway ....I have also had that feeling of 'tightness' I personally like the feeling .....that way I know there REALLY stuck on ! :):):
Melissa

Different makes have greater shrinkage than others and your mix ratio plays a part in this too. So does client sensitivity - some are more sensitive than others --

The wetter the mix, the greater the shrinkage.

I actually do not think clients should ever feel pain and thank goodness most do not.

I had really sore fingers after I had a new set applied by a nail tech just before I went on holiday.

I couldn't believe they could have been so sore! Every finger was like it was really badly bruised. It took nearly two days to stop hurting.

Shrinkage does sound like what I had but the side walls were sore on my fingers too as I felt she filed too close down the side walls.

my thoughts are that its shrinkage, maybe she worked with the product too wet causing it to shrink more. thing is, if the client's nails are already abused, and they are hurting her, it might be best to remove them. i abused my own nails once, slapped on some L&P because they looked a mess, and then had to remove it because my fingers were tender, only to discover i'd caused onycholysis in a couple of my fingers (separation of the nail from the nail bed). takes ages for it to get better.

Maybe you could let us know more details of the products that your girlfriend uses. Has the client ever had a reaction before to nail enhancements? It is possible to experience allergic reactions to any professional treatment. If it is indeed an allergic reaction then it is necessary to remove the product. Allergic reactions can be skin or cuticles that become sensitive to pressure or itch, redness and soreness that lasts longer than a few hours. If overexposure has occured the nail plate can be very white. hth

The Little Beauty Room said:
I had really sore fingers after I had a new set applied by a nail tech just before I went on holiday.

I couldn't believe they could have been so sore! Every finger was like it was really badly bruised. It took nearly two days to stop hurting.

Shrinkage does sound like what I had but the side walls were sore on my fingers too as I felt she filed too close down the side walls.
I had same thing,quite uncomfortable for a couple of days then nothing.Couldn't have been that bad though as I had them for 2 yrs,I am quite sensitive to things though,had hair extensions and they hurt like hell for the first few days then just went on to irritate me instead.All gone now though so bliss.No more itchy,scratchy feeling looked like I had nitts:eek:

Latest posts

Back