advice needed re my hands please.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jac extreme

Reaction score
I have posted a couple of pictures of my hands for you to see and wondered if anyone can give me some advice on products that might help.
I have been told at various times that it is eczema and psoriasis and have used steroid creams in the past with little results.

the palm of my hands I think looks most like psoriasis, it is dry, scaly and itchy and some times almost clears up completely by itself, my finger joints on the other hand are very dry and the skin splits right through and can take ages to heal, leaving my joints raised with unsightly scar tissue, it is mainly on my working fingers and the thumb of my other hand, again I have tried steroids, no luck, I use solar oil on them regularly and while this puts back some moisture it only lasts for a short while and then they are dry again,

It is nothing to do with being a nail tech as I had the problem before I started. so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• hands 004.jpg
    hands 004.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 243
  • hands.jpg
    hands.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 247
Ooo Jac they look sore :hug:

At night time blather them in Diphrobase and bandage them you will see a big diiference.

It is not really comfy,but i used to have to have my full body done every night.

And go to the doctors and tell them to refer you hth's x

hi Becki, what is diphrobase is it a steroid cream, I have been referred in the past and they gave me the haelian tape, which worked OK, but what I am looking for particularly is something to nourish the skin on my joints, I have also tried solar balm and butter, again they only give temporary relief.

No Jac it is a water based emoilient for skin disorders,there are many about but that is the best IMO and during my pregnany i tried them all,my skin was so bad at that time and this stuff is great.

It also comes in soap formulation as well.

I have found that once you have it under control,you can never let your routine slip or it will come back hth's x

Edited to ad,make sure you use secure bandages ontop of the cream every night xx

This is only a suggestion Jack - what about getting an Aloa Vera plant and smothering your hands in the gel from the plant at night with some cotton gloves on or something.

I only suggest this cause the gel is very soothing and it has so many natural healing properties. I think it is great for open sores and cuts, etc.

Big hugs hun xxx

Sorry Chris but as gel is sticker i wouldn't recomend it for such a complaint,the bandages would stick and they play a very important part in healing they protect and ensure no cream is rubbed off :hug: x

have you tried paraffin wax jac?

oh my god jac.. you poor thing....!! :hug:

in addition to becki's recommendation of the 'diprobase' cream.. i also have a cream to recommend.. its called 'double base'.. like diprobase.. its not a steriod and can be used as many times as you like..

my daughter suffers from slight skin problem.. and every winter.. her skin may flare up.. this winter though.. i have managed to keep her skin under control just by using the 'double base' cream....

by the way - a bit off the subject though - is that calgel number 31 that i spot on your nails in the picture...?? sorry.. i couldnt resist asking..!! :rolleyes:

I have amber and it gives a nice temporary relief, but still short lived. I will look out for the cream you reccomened becki, I am willing to try anything.

I have amber and it gives a nice temporary relief, but still short lived. I will look out for the cream you reccomened becki, I am willing to try anything.

i would have thought aloe vera too matey, what the doc say have you been?

Will look out for that one too Anna and yes its 31:)

okay thinking out side the box here. Have you tried an antifungal creme, like micreme? My daughter has a skin condition, that comes up in discoloured dry patches and the antifungal creme helps.

i would have thought aloe vera too matey, what the doc say have you been?
the doctors keep prescribing steroids, which have never really helped I would love to try and reduce the scar tissue to as it makes my hand look quite claw like.

okay thinking out side the box here. Have you tried an antifungal creme, like micreme? My daughter has a skin condition, that comes up in discoloured patches and the antifungal creme helps.
never tried that, I dont think its fungal though.

I think it's prescrpition only,saying that i'm not certain because it is just water based ... :irked:

I just thought on,put baby oil in your bath,pat your hands don't rub them dry and also i know it can be a pain,but write down when they flare up the most,this will help determin if it is brought on by allergy or stress.

I really hope they heal soon,beleive me i know how painfull and even embarrasing having any kind of skin disorder is.

Loads of love and let us know how they get on xxx

I think it's prescrpition only,saying that i'm not certain because it is just water based ... :irked:

I just thought on,put baby oil in your bath,pat your hands don't rub them dry and also i know it can be a pain,but write down when they flare up the most,this will help determin if it is brought on by allergy or stress.

I really hope they heal soon,beleive me i know how painfull and even embarrasing having any kind of skin disorder is.

Loads of love and let us know how they get on xxx
thanks mate, I do beleive that stress makes it flare up.

jac.. i do have another idea..... not sure if you would want to give it a try though cos it can take a while and be costly..

chinese medicine has been well known for treating skin problems.. i have known many people to benefit from it... maybe worth a try to get it seen by a chinese doctor....??

if you need to know a bit more about how chinese medicine works.. read this thread that i did a while back..

http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/40222-chinese-herbal-medicines-info.html

hope this helps..

Jac, I sometimes get a patch of dry skin exactly the same place on the palm as you - not anywhere as bad though. After Carls post about Emu Oil, I thought I would try it and it does help. I apply it then put my hands in plastic gloves for half an hour while watching Eastenders or whatever.

Bio Oil also seems to have a great rep.

If what Becki suggests doesnt suit then maybe try the others.

Latest posts

Back