Advice needed x

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NailsFrmHeaven

Reaction score
HIya geeks,
I just need a little advice, I had a phone call yesterday from a lady who works for the Womens aid refudge and they have a local meeting for X residents every week and each week they have a diffrent lady there to do diffrent things (massage, nails etc). The lady has asked me if i would go along next friday and do nails for some of the girls there. She wont be paying me for this neither will the ladys. I dont know weather to doit or not i mean yes ill be out of pocket but in the long run i could get a few new clients. I think im going to limit it to mini manis and a little nail art otherwise i would deffo be out of pocket.What do you guys think? many thanks xxx:Love:

Hi

do you need the extra business that may or may not come from doing this.

Are the clients that you will see likely to be able to afford any for of nail treatments in the future - if not then is it going to get you anywhere except the thought that you have done something good for these people.

oey said:
Hi

do you need the extra business that may or may not come from doing this.

Are the clients that you will see likely to be able to afford any for of nail treatments in the future - if not then is it going to get you anywhere except the thought that you have done something good for these people.
Thank you for your reply, you have raised a good point. I do need the extra custom but im not sure if they could afford it as i have never meet them. I was thinking this last night i just dont know what to do !!!;)

Can anyone help ?? xxx

i wouldn't do it for no money a very small contribution even £2 per person i think is acceptable. If you do it once you will be expected to do it again for free then word will get round and everyone will want you to go and do free sevices. I volenteer my services twice a month to my local charity close to my heart, but they are very supporive to me provide me with all the stuff i need , i also attend trainning classes that similer minded people hold. i have learn't loads and feel i have got something back for giving my time. i love a bit of give and take but don't like people taking the pi** out of me hth

if they are in a refruge i doubt they would be able to afford treats like nails, as they are there for a reason, so you might not get clients from it , sorry jmo

Thank you all for your replys, they are not in the refudge anymore they are ex residents they now have houses etc, do you think they are taking the p***? This place is also very close to my heart for many reasons so i feel like i wanna doit but not sure if they are taking the p*** xxx

If you cant afford to do it then dont but if you can then it would be nice. To end up in refuges these women must have been through a lot and Probably deserve to have a treat as they probably have not had anything nice for a long time. Its charity work thats all. I would probably do it but limit it to small low cost treatments like you said.

You're unlikely to get new clients although your generosity may win you favour with women who do have money.
I would say it is up to you how much you feel like being a 'good samaritan' and how much of your time it would take up.
I think if it was a charity close to my heart I may well do it just for the warm and fuzzies.. if these women are there because of domestic issues then they may well have very low self esteem and think of the boost just a little bit of 'me' time may give them. I'm not trying to guilt trip you, honest I'm not. You may find that if word gets around then you may get some paying clients from it... and if you are worried that then too many people will want freebies, just be prepared to say 'look, this is a business I'm running, I can only offer so much of my time and products for nothing and I'm afraid I've done all I can this month'.
I'd just do a mini massage cos they feel so nice, quick cuticle push back with a rubber hoof stick (OK, so not exactly that professional but it does neaten the look of the nail), simple paint job and if you really want to, chuck a sticker on the ring finger. It's probably going to take 5 minutes per person so find out how many people you'll be expected to do, and only take about 5 polish colours with you or people will never be able to choose (learned this the hard way with mani parties!).

I was still writing my reply when you posted more info hun! If they are ex-residents then maybe a small contribution would be nice if they are back on their feet.. maybe take a tips jar/money box with you and hopefully they will be inclined to say thank you for your work!

loualarta said:
If you cant afford to do it then dont but if you can then it would be nice. To end up in refuges these women must have been through a lot and Probably deserve to have a treat as they probably have not had anything nice for a long time. Its charity work thats all. I would probably do it but limit it to small low cost treatments like you said.
These ladys have been through so much bless em! and i thank you so much for your advice i think just a little treat is just what they need. I spent quiet a few years of my life in this place wheni was a child so it really is close to my heart , Thank you xxx:Love:

bimbogeri said:
I was still writing my reply when you posted more info hun! If they are ex-residents then maybe a small contribution would be nice if they are back on their feet.. maybe take a tips jar/money box with you and hopefully they will be inclined to say thank you for your work!
Thank you for your advice i think that taking a few polishes and gems would be great thank you so much xxx:Love:

bimbogeri said:

a great idea

Tricky said:
a great idea
Do you think ? should i write "tip jar" onit? lol i dont wanna look cheeky lol xxx

NailsFrmHeaven said:
Do you think ? should i write "tip jar" onit? lol i dont wanna look cheeky lol xxx
i think the word 'contribution' would be more appropriate.

even if these ladies can't afford your treatments they might have friends or family that can, they'll tell people about the treatment they've had off you and that will start the ball rolling... there's a good advertising opportunity for you here and all it will cost you is some of your time and a bit of nail enamel etc...

NailsFrmHeaven said:

i think you should write a little more eg all contributions to the replacement of my products would be greatfully recieved, this ensures i can continue my volenrty work only a sujestion of what to write x

ValencianNails said:
i think the word 'contribution' would be more appropriate.

even if these ladies can't afford your treatments they might have friends or family that can, they'll tell people about the treatment they've had off you and that will start the ball rolling... there's a good advertising opportunity for you here and all it will cost you is some of your time and a bit of nail enamel etc...
Thank you for your reply yes i think the word "contribution" would be much better.so does everyone think that i should only do mini mani nail painting etc and not l&p or gel? xxx:Love:

NailsFrmHeaven said:
Thank you for your reply yes i think the word "contribution" would be much better.so does everyone think that i should only do mini mani nail painting etc and not l&p or gel? xxx:Love:
definitely not L+P or Gel, not for free... you'd be out of pocket big time!
IMO mini mani's or shape and polish would be better.

ValencianNails said:
definitely not L+P or Gel, not for free... you'd be out of pocket big time!
IMO mini mani's or shape and polish would be better.
Thats what i was thinking thank you so much xxx:Love:

personally, i would do it. its a charity and i would expect to get nothing from it.

I am presuming you are talking about a refuge for women in danger from their partners? if so, these women have been through hell that most people can't relate to, and the damage to their self esteem will most likely never mend. i came out of a bad relationship of four years and the damage to my self esteem is still with me 3 years later, although its getting better, and what i went through is nothing compared to women that end up in these places. If these women still have contact with the centre then they are by no means back on their feet. they probably still live in fear their ex's will find them. Even if i did it as a one off would mean i had the chance even only for a few seconds to make someone like this feel good about themselves and smile. as for recommendations to family, forget it, that's the reason why most of them were in the hostel in the first place, because they never had family and friends to turn to. Their "family" probably IS the hostel.

It's really up to you at the end of the day, but either do it whole heartedly and don't charge, or, if you really can't afford it, then just turn it down.

Latest posts

Back