Advice please for newbie

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birminghamgirl70

Reaction score
hi, this is my first post so please move if wrong place..

ill try keep it short.. I own a salon, i am a beautician and i also have a few self employed hair dressers. two of which dont get on. One is very loud and in your face the other is very quiet and gets on with work- shes been with me a few months longer but both well over two years.

now they clash in personalities a lot. the loud one is fun to be around has a huge following and a great hairdresser but has her down points too like often VERY late for work, very messy and so on, the other girl is very professional in salon, always on time and looks nice but has no personality and doesnt talk to clients and she has also had a few complaints about her work whereas the loud one hasnt.

now my issue is they dont get on, the quiet one is now saying shes scared of the loud one and wont work with her on the same days. they are both full time (quiet one does 5 days, loud one likes to work 6 days) and i cant split the week between them and cut both their hours down as they dont want part time hours, quiet one suggesting i sack the loud one basically. the loud one also does like the other girl but she at least makes it obv and is happy to just not talk to each other at work but the quiet one is now not happy about that and ive been told by other staff members she antagonises her and so on yet shes telling me its the other one doing it. we had a new staff member join us two weeks ago and hes been telling me the quiet one is trying to pursuade him the loud one is "evil" its getting rediculess bringing new staff into it trying to make them take sides. i dont no what to do, can anyone offer advise.. the quiet one doesnt want any more "meetings" about it she wants it sorted one way or another today.

First of all, they're self employed so you are just the landlord taking rent or a percentage off them to rent the chair. You need to remember this when you're managing the salon.

You are not responsible for resolving their disputes and you can't 'sack' them as you don't employ them, as such.

You need to look at this from a purely business perspective. What sort of contract do you have?
Which one makes you the most money and causes the least amount of disruption to the rest of the salon? You obviously enjoy her antics but does the 'loud' one put off any of your other clients!
Personally, as a client, I like my beauty salon to be a place of calmness and serenity. I don't want to hear raucous laughter.

Assuming you have a break clause in the contract, ask one of them to leave and re-advertise for another hairdresser. Make sure the remaining hairdresser knows she could be asked to leave too, if there are any more 'personality clashes'.

I agree it's not your place to be being "boss" in this situation but having said that I'd be tempted to sit them down together somewhere quiet away from the salon and let them explain to each other how they make each other feel, maybe it could help to be a mediatior? But of course you don't have to they are self employed at the end of the day, that's the number 1 downside to renting out!

We are all different at the end of the day we are not meant to like everyone and vicer versa its just life I am afraid. I am sure lots of people on salon geek have come up against this at some point. I think just leave them to get on with it and don't get involved

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back