Advice regarding spray tanning please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewGeekGem

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,

I've stumbled across this forum while trying to do some research about spray tanning. You all seem really knowledgeable and friendly so here goes. I'm thinking about doing one of the training courses for spray tanning but I'm just wondering whether it is worth while, I don't want to fork out money for nothing really. How has everyone else gone on, is it profitable? how much do you charge? and have you any tips or things I should consider before I start?

Sorry a lot of questions I know, any help would be really appreciated.

Gemma

Hi Geeks,

I've stumbled across this forum while trying to do some research about spray tanning. You all seem really knowledgeable and friendly so here goes. I'm thinking about doing one of the training courses for spray tanning but I'm just wondering whether it is worth while, I don't want to fork out money for nothing really. How has everyone else gone on, is it profitable? how much do you charge? and have you any tips or things I should consider before I start?

Sorry a lot of questions I know, any help would be really appreciated.

Gemma

Hello :)

I trained with sienna x. Great company. Who ever you choose to train with it always best to do it with a welknown brand.

I charge £15 for a tan (this is the normal price in my area)

The thing with spray tanning I find is that it's seasonal, so right now I'm not overly busy but Christmas and summer are.

I started with spray tanning and then added more treatments to my list to build a bigger clientele.

Are you planning to do mobile or home salon or rent a salon?

Spray tanning is great. you do need to advise ALOT and sometimes it gets hard but it's worth it. Just build a clientele up and once that's done you will have nothing to worry about.

Xx

I've only very recently started tanning so there are more knowledgable people here but theres a few things that i made sure of before i took the plunge.
I researched my area before comitting to anything-checked out the local average pricing ,demand/competition and popular solution. Then i researched some of the brands who's names popped up a lot.
I made sure that my training was approved by the Guild of beauty therapists so i could get insurannce.
I decided on Nouvatan after some research here-as they are very reasonablly priced without the quality of the solution being less. I felt that the outlay wasn't as high and it would be easier to re-coup it back as like you i didn't want to fork out tonnes for little return.
I've made a brief business plan-working out my outlay/expenses and how much each tan costs me/the profit each tan will make. I believe that it is cost effective-more so if the clients are local or can come to you rather than you visiting them. unfortunatly being rural based i will have to be 100% at the moment.
Once you have trained and have a machine you can get samples from other companies to test out too then you can make an informed choice yourself- sienna x also looks a great company which i am trialling at the moment but it is more expensive. I've had a few comments about my Nouvatan-people asking if I've been on holiday and when i say no they say what a lovely colour. thats a great time to hand out a business card -1 person who has a great colour will advertise it to their friends for free. My nouvatan trainer told me she built her business through word of mouth due to the beautiful colour.
As i say there are more experienced tanners here but it's all quite fresh in my mind as I've only just begun s i thought that might help. This forum has also given me tonnes of guidance.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking of doing mobile and just seeing how it goes from there. I thought £15 sounds about right. I've looked at a few courses tonight and found one in my area this month called next step beauty, they don't train on a particular brand but give advise on all the best ones on the market. Has anyone else used these?

Thanks Mrs Axl Rose its only my first night of research so early days, I'll bear all that in mind. I think it's just taking the actual plunge that I'm scared of x

Ha Ha!! The fear-i know it well!:D

I do spray tanning & it is very profitable, i charge £18 per tan which in my area is considered expensive, but it just wouldn't be worth it if i charged say £10-12 which is what others in my area charge, I provide sticky feet, hair net, disposable knickers & barrier cream, consultation form & after care sheet & spend approx 30 minutes with each client, so it's not a rushed service. I'm happy if I do a minimum of 5 tans per week (that's my little target I set when I started lol) but any more than 5 a week & that's great! I have another job too so tanning is a sideline income for me, just helps with extra bills & any holidays i want to go on etc. Next step beauty has been mentioned a few times on here, & in fact I was looking at doing an acrylic nail course with them but at the moment I've decided to just keep pushing my tanning side of things rather than training in all different courses, so if I were you I'd just go for it, I'm pretty sure you won't regret taking the leap :) if you want any more info or any help please send me a message, id be glad to help, good luck x

Thanks for the reply Lush Lash, I would be the same as I have a part time job at the moment, but my son starts school in September so I want something a can just earn a bit extra money. I read through quite a few threads last night and got a bit confused over the %'s and mixing but I'm hoping that will be more clear when I do a course. I just need to decide which course now x

Hi everyone,only joined today,been doing spray tans mobile a month after completing fake bake course.Feel confident with the techniques/products however would be really grateful if some exprienced mobile sprayers could offer thier recommendations on the trigger settings:confused:.Also how much solution in the container does the unit run on best?Was recommended 75-100ml per client, is that a correct realistic ratio?? Really be interested on any advise/comments,Thanks,x.

Hi everyone,only joined today,been doing spray tans mobile a month after completing fake bake course.Feel confident with the techniques/products however would be really grateful if some exprienced mobile sprayers could offer thier recommendations on the trigger settings:confused:.Also how much solution in the container does the unit run on best?Was recommended 75-100ml per client, is that a correct realistic ratio?? Really be interested on any advise/comments,Thanks,x.

i always put in 100ml and a little extra for larger clients as you dont want to have to refill half way through the tan, i cant remember my gun setting think its 2 or 1.5, it also depends on the solution as they're all different. im with nouvatan so cant really give advice on your gun setting but im sure another fake bake geek will come along and advise you xx

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

Hi, I'm new the spray tanning malarky, I have bought a spray tan kit for christmas and with my kit I had free training, online training though, but its really good and so helpful! Look up trinitia online. Like I said my training is free as it was all included with price of kit, but I think its £45 to do it anyway! Deffo worth a look :)

Hi, I'm new the spray tanning malarky, I have bought a spray tan kit for christmas and with my kit I had free training, online training though, but its really good and so helpful! Look up trinitia online. Like I said my training is free as it was all included with price of kit, but I think its £45 to do it anyway! Deffo worth a look :)

Hi with your online training can you get insurance?

Hi with your online training can you get insurance?

Bump, as I'm interested in the answer to this question. Can u get insurance with LA Tan online training?

I have the new Maxi Mist and my gun setting is on 4 and always has been. I only ever put in 50ml and normally have some left. This amount always gives my clients an even tan and have only ever had 1 client with a complaint (it didn't take) but that is a whole other story. Hth xx

Yes you can get insurance with the la tan online i researched this and salon gold offer this. I have the earlex t20 machine there isnt settings on my gun :( how do i know where to put the dial xx

Latest posts

Back