Advise On Starting Mobile Business?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2littletoys

Reaction score
hi all- im still training at the moment but would like to go mobile or have a home salon when finished. Are there any "must haves" before i can advertise? Obviously i need insurance, but can any of you recommend anything else???:confused:

You will need a case or bucket bag to transport your kit in:)

Hiya

Good luck with your new business. It's exciting isn't it!

I started mobile (although I am home based now) and the things I wish I'd has when I started are:

A portable nail table (you will get back ache trying to work on the corner of a round or square dining table and at least if you spill anything it will be on your table - try to get one with a ridge round the edge so things don't roll off)

A portable nail stool (I've been sat in some awful chairs, some too high, some way too low and at one appointment I actually nearly fainted cos I'd had my arms reaching up so far for the table cos she gave me such a low chair)

A Daylight lamp (not UV, I mean a really good light which gives out no heat cos heat will make your l&p set faster and will make your gels run) - I got mine from the Daylight Company and it's perfect. The bulb is one that doesn't hurt your eyes no matter how long you use it for (unlike, say, fluorescent light)

A case (you can pay a fortune for these) - I found an aluminium B&Q tool case was perfect, they have two sizes to choose from, even the UV light fitted in it and the little compartments in the back of the lid (which are meant for screwdrivers etc) are spot on for files and buffers etc.

From a safety point of view, don't forget to take all details when they phone to make the appointment, incl a landline phone no, tell people where you are going and when you will be back and have a mobile with you.

hth xx

thanks blossom- thats really helpful... just hope im busy enough. very excited though, and a little daunted. i never dreamed i would do this....

From a safety point of view, don't forget to take all details when they phone to make the appointment, incl a landline phone no, tell people where you are going and when you will be back and have a mobile with you.

I can't stress how much I agree with this bit.
I'm NOT saying that moblie is a bad idea at all but take this as a warning to be very carefull who you book!!

When I did moblie hair ( many moons ago :lol:) I had a one call for an appointent for a gents cut.Something didn't feel right about the call so I took someone with me to this app.
To cut a long story short I got to the address knocked on the door and got no answer. I looked up at the windows before leaving and there was the man standing stark naked in the window looking down at me :eek:.
I hate to think what would have happend if I hadn't taken some one with me that day.
I'm so glad I listend to my instincs.
:hug:

OMG :eek:

thanks del- never really thought of anything like that! thanks so much.

Just a note to say don't let what I told you put you off doing mobile, just be carefull that's all.
I did many years of mobile and enjoyed it, this kind of thing was an exeption.

The reason i stoped doing mobile was because I was fed up of being out in all weathers and fighting with the car door when it was windy, wet and cold :lol:

Oh by the way I had baby boxes from mothercare holding my kit, they were fab and I've still got them now over 20 yrs later.

Good Luck
:hug:

If you ever have a dodgy feeling about someone who has booked, don't be afraid to phone them on the number they have given to check it exists . . . just phone to confirm the appt or think up any old reason if it puts your mind at rest!

As Del3 says, anything odd is EXTREMELY rare, I never experienced anything remotely weird. But better safe than sorry eh. When I started working from home, I had a client due one day who I just though sounded odd . . . I got my mum round to sit in the spare room while I worked lol! But she was fine.

Have fun x

Hiya

Good luck with your new business. It's exciting isn't it!

I started mobile (although I am home based now) and the things I wish I'd has when I started are:

A portable nail table (you will get back ache trying to work on the corner of a round or square dining table and at least if you spill anything it will be on your table - try to get one with a ridge round the edge so things don't roll off)

A portable nail stool (I've been sat in some awful chairs, some too high, some way too low and at one appointment I actually nearly fainted cos I'd had my arms reaching up so far for the table cos she gave me such a low chair)

A Daylight lamp (not UV, I mean a really good light which gives out no heat cos heat will make your l&p set faster and will make your gels run) - I got mine from the Daylight Company and it's perfect. The bulb is one that doesn't hurt your eyes no matter how long you use it for (unlike, say, fluorescent light)

A case (you can pay a fortune for these) - I found an aluminium B&Q tool case was perfect, they have two sizes to choose from, even the UV light fitted in it and the little compartments in the back of the lid (which are meant for screwdrivers etc) are spot on for files and buffers etc.

hth xx

I've got the B & Q one that Blossom mentions and it's exactly the same as some i've seen in Capital for almost half the price!!

Business Cards - visit Vistaprint.co.uk - they always have special deals on these and all sorts of promo stuff. Well worth looking at before anywhere else!

Also - a little idea my tutor thought up when i was studying - a desk tidy, like out of WHSmiths to keep your tools & brushes etc in and the little sections are good for your glue and small bottles. Everything is at your fingertips without the worry of anything rolling off the table and having to chase it around the floor!:lol:

I've got the B & Q one that Blossom mentions and it's exactly the same as some i've seen in Capital for almost half the price!!

Business Cards - visit Vistaprint.co.uk - they always have special deals on these and all sorts of promo stuff. Well worth looking at before anywhere else!

Also - a little idea my tutor thought up when i was studying - a desk tidy, like out of WHSmiths to keep your tools & brushes etc in and the little sections are good for your glue and small bottles. Everything is at your fingertips without the worry of anything rolling off the table and having to chase it around the floor!:lol:

great ideas guys-thanks

Hi, good luck, i have also just started going mobile too! I find an ironing board makes a great nail table and you dont have to worry about spilling things, hope all goes well

Hi,

Did you know that business use is excluded from most standard car insurance policies? This means your car will not be insured for driving to appointments, nor for an professional equipment that you have in it.

The Guild have teamed up with Layton Blackham to offer special Motor Therapist insurance which automatically covers you for driving to appointments and for any professional equipment you have in the car up to a value of £500.

This is a special policy for Guild Members, so if you want to know more, give us a call on 0845 2177 383 or PM me.

or make sure you inform your car insurance to use as business which is usually a free upgrade but will not cover your equipment left in car!

hth

Latest posts

Back