Age descrimination?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geeg

Judge Gigi-Honorary Geek
Reaction score
I did a search on this but came up with nothing and as I was asked my opinion the other day I thought it would be good to put it to you all for your opinions.

Do you think a mature age (in the 40's for example) is a barrier to learning nails or to entering the field as a nail technician?

Have you ever felt any discrimination towards you as a nail technician because of your age (young or old)??
I look forward to reading your replies.

Mature lol love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No way I started out in my 40's and if anything at my age I felt I had a advantage more patience for learning, kids grown up so more time for me to concentrate on where I wanted to be in life........ok admit I had a problem with the ear thingy but apart from that I would say to any MATURE peeps who have a passion for learning something new to go for it :)

Take care Dawnie xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The only prejudice I suffered was my own - as an over-weight 34 year old I decided to become a Nail Technician and felt I would need to battle to become accepted (you can't teach an old dog new tricks, too old to be changing career, should stick to what you know, etc.) But I'm intelligent and capable, and know I can learn anything I want to, so decided to go for it anyway!

I also expected to be surrounded by nubile teenagers and twentysomethings and feel really really awkward, but I went to the open day at the OSNS in Acton and was amazed at the ages, shapes, sizes and fab characters I met and saw! It's fantastic!

On a personal note, I'm not bothered about age, just their training levels.

A tech could be 16 and highly skilled, or 50 and a butcher, and vice-versa - age makes no difference

Hi Geeg

On a personal level i have no discrimination where age is concerned starting off in this industry. Whilest on my foundation there were all ages from 18 to 55 and it made no difference what so ever.

I do find i'm quite hard on my self though, i wish i'd come into this industry alot sooner. I feel that i'm nearly 2 yrs in and being 32 i'v missed out on becoming the best i could have been or making a mark in the industry. I guess i feel that i'm to old to make a differance. But on the other hand that does'nt stop me from trying my best even though i'm getting old..lol

geeg said:
I did a search on this but came up with nothing and as I was asked my opinion the other day I thought it would be good to put it to you all for your opinions.

Do you think a mature age (in the 40's for example) is a barrier to learning nails or to entering the field as a nail technician?

Have you ever felt any discrimination towards you as a nail technician because of your age (young or old)??

I wish I could say that I was unable to answer your question, but sadly at the ripe old age of 41 I fit into that category, although started nail training at 37.

I can't say I have ever felt discriminated at all about anything with my training, but I did find that getting back into the mind set of theory learning was harder at an older age. I find that I am more self confident than when I was younger and perhaps ask more questions and query more on training courses now than I would have done a few years back!

I did personally feel at the start very much out of my comfort zone, but I don't think that is an age issue, just a very steep learning curve to start with, thankfully it is now a gentle slope, but I learn, learn, learn every day and hope I always will.

POSTSCRIPT
Thinking about this more, I think that I have actually benefited from coming into it later in life, my children are all but flown the nest so now I can dedicate quality time to the rest of my career in a selfish way, that the commitments of a young family restricted me from. No wonder they say life begins at 40!

So far we'r all telling the same story..! wow

Well I am 43 yrs and just started on the long (well hopefully long!) road of nail technology and training. Just completed my Foundation course and have booked a one2one with my trainer for some tweeking with l&p. On the other end of the spectrum my daughter who is 20 is currently in the middle of her foundation course.

In the class I was obviously the eldest there, and it seems that the other ladies (very young the majority) had a 'natural' flair for nails. I got a little dispondant in class thinking I had left it too late to start a new career, afterall I have been a secretary for the last 15 years. I did do training as a hairdresser when I left school, but didnt really enjoy it enough to continue with it as a lifelong career. I then moved onto nursing and again didnt enjoy it enough to make the lifelong committment.

When I look at the trade mags and the beauty industry in a whole, it does appear to be for the young - well image wise (I know there are a lot of very experienced 'older' ladies and men doing just fine in the industry). I dont really think that I will make loads of money doing nails, it will probably be a part-time income and shored up with my office work - I wish I was wrong, but I am just being realistic. It wont stop me from enjoying the experience though and I will continue with education and do all I can to extend my knowledge and practicle experience.

I think the only barrier for me would be the one I put up myself, being on the weighty side also I do have a confidence problem, however it wont stop me from doing my best and 'appearing' confident.

It would be interesting to learn what other 'older' techs feel.

Thanks for the thread geeg, I hope this is what you had in mind with responses.

Regards

The only comments i have had from my clients is towards younger nail technicians within Nail Bars, generally because they do not get their full attention and the girls / bars being commented on, have been chatting amongst theirselves rather than giving their (now my !) client 1:1 service (apologies no offence meant just feeding back on comments re my local nailbars)

I dont think age should be a factor - young or old. I think if you have the desire for nails and people and learning then im happy to have my nails or any service performed on me, obviously they need to be of a certain standard ! lol.

i started within the Nail Industry later on in life and im loving it, I have the desire to want to offer the best i can and yearning to learn and improve on my current skills and my clients have commented that that comes across to them. They want to feel they are in the hands of someone who loves what they do and interested in them and their nails.

Sorry to babble, hope this helps a little

kx

geeg said:

Indeed, lets keep it going with lots more input.

It might interest you all to know that everything I have achieved in the nail industry I achieved AFTER the age of 40!!

I told this to Jacqui Jefford on her 40th birthday and she said it totally inspired her ..... and she has achieved far more recognition since that age.

Marian Newman is another name that springs to mind!!

I paid my dues in the salon for many years (a must) and the recognition and the confidence and the knowledge base all takes time.

THERE IS NO SUBSTITUTE FOR EXPERIENCE ... and experience can't be rushed.

As to the weight issue .... weight has nothing to do with ability (as I can also attest to) :biggrin: NOR does one have to be a "glamour-puss" either. You can be clean, talented and project a professional image at any age, weight or look ... it is the attitude that counts.

The worst therapists I have ever had work on me (and I have had lots) have been the glamor queens ... because it is all about THEM!! Had the best massage of my life last week .. given by a 40ish, lovely-homely woman with magical hands ... experience and love of the job!!

Personally, I think it's the in-betweens that get discriminated against the most!

Now if a 16 year old goes into a job from school this is perfectly acceptable, or if a 35yr old goes into it after raising children this is fine, or if a 50 year old suddenly decides she wants a career change after 25 years as a secretary then it's good on her!! But my age group always seems to get the Why have you left it this late? routine. And I am really sick of it!

I am 22 and have just started applying for a job in a salon. Now the answer I have got from most of them already has been: Why have you only just decided to become a Nail Technician? Why did you leave it so late? It doesn't seem to matter how much time and money I have spent on training myself, or how determined/ambitious I am, or even that I offered to work FREE on Saturdays til I'm up to standard!!!

Sorry to go off on one! LOL! Feeling better now it's off my chest!

WOW I'm just happy I'm not classed as MATURE yet :lol: close but still a little way to go PHEW lol....sorry will be serious now...

no I don't think age is a barrier to learning nails...having the talent and ability to learn, enjoy and succeed is what counts whatever your age....(only prob on one of my courses was a rather 'mature' lady forgetting her glasses every week so producing the weirdest shaped nails I have ever seen bless her lol)

I have never been discriminated against because of age but on one course I saw a young girl discriminated against purely because she was young by a grumpy client...I was appalled at how this client spoke to her with no respect at all :sad: so I guess dealing with 'some' clients age can be a bonus!

Hi Ya, well im 21 years of age and have been doing nails for about 2 years (got plenty more to learn) and when i received a phone call from my now regular client, she asked me loads of questions about where i was based etc and one thing she said to me was, 'sometimes its so hard to find a salon which isnt full of young girls, young girls working there and young girls getting their nails done, sometimes i feel really awkward going to a salon that is full of young ladies, do you have ladies of the older generation?' I professionally replied that most of my clients are from the 'older generation' and that i do also have a few younger ladies. Obviously she didnt know my age when she was talking over the phone and when she came for her appointment she was a little shocked and replied 'oh your ever so mature for your age arent you?!'

So sometimes i do feel that clients look at my age and think 'is she qualified etc' but i dont think age should be an issue more if you are good at your job x x

When I was on my first course there were two ladies there, one was 37 and the other 41. They were brilliant.

I think that when you are an adult, whatever age, you are there because you want to learn. if your passion for anything, not just nails is passionate enough, age should not be a factor.

Why should age matter ? after all it's just a number., determination, guts, interest,willingness,confidence, patience,motivation, co operation to name a few are all matters more important than age, and these qualities have no barrier.
You're never to old to learn.

Christine

Actually guys you are right, discrimination if anything is poured on the younger techs. As some of you may know I took on Kelly in June, she is only 18 and just the sweetest thing, and far too pretty for her own good lol!!! But people get funny when they know she is still at college. She has qualified for her level 2 in beauty and is in her 2nd year of level 3, and she only does treatments for which she is qualified. But people tend to look at her as though she has no qualifications and no experience and do tend to treat her with less respect shall we say than they do me. I know this is also down to life skills, and I can handle clients better than she can, but then I struggle with the younger clients whereas she babbles on with them about clubbing etc!

But then a lot of my clients love her and when they come in on her days off they always ask after her. But yes, she is definitely viewed differently by clients than I am, I think they must assume I have been in the beauty industry for years, rather than the 4 that I have been and so tend to place faith in my age!!!

I have never felt my age has been a problem except before my Foundation course - 4 years ago.

I thought like many that it would be full of young girls and I would be intimidated as an oldie. It was not a problem.

In my experience more mature ladies prefer to have their nails done by a more mature lady who is not going to sit and talk to them about their wild night out last night and how they have a hangover etc. etc. as some of these young whipersnappers might do LOL.

I also think that if I was a lot younger then I might not have stuck it out through the hard times to come out the other side with a successful business.

I say, as has been said already, your age is just a number, it is about your heart and your head, not your birth certificate.

when i first found my passion for nails i was convinced the nail/beauty industry was full of long legged blondes with big boobs, it took me a while to realise that it just is`nt the case, my first day back in college was terrifying i thought i would be the oldest one there but i certainly was`nt.
as time has gone on i have found that i have other things to offer clients also such as patience, understanding and a good ear.
i am knocking on the door of fifty :eek: but i do believe you can learn no matter what your age, and i dont have any intension of giving up learning, far from it i will continue to learn as much as i can to be the best that i can.
being older does`nt mean you can`t be a fab nail technician.
i do wish i had started sooner yes but better late than never ! :D

I feel so much more inspired after reading these posts ... onwards and upwards here I go ;)

geeg, I would have thought you would have been doing nails 4 ever (like since leaving school), your work is so inspirational. Thanks for the encouragement, its really benificial.

Regards

Im 37 and just starting out. The coarse I have just finished had a wide range of ages from 15 to 50 something. Although the younger girls are very nice, I think the more mature ladies have more patience and interact with the clients more.
My friend is in her early 50s and has just qualified in Inian head massage, and is starting her own buisiness.

Did my Foundation course, followed by the Spa courses last year (age 46). I've haven't as yet come across any discrimination because of my age. However,it's been the opposite! Because of my age clients think I've been a nail tech for years! I tell them the truth, but oh how I wish I had started learning this business years ago instead of punching a keyboard! The job satisfaction is tremendous. There's still so much to learn and now at 47 that clock is ticking away far too fast!!

Latest posts

Back