Age descrimination?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i think younger techs are discriminated against more than older techs (from what i've seen!).

once, when I was working in a salon (I was doing someone a favour), my client turned up and refused to let me work on her because she thought I was so young and didn't know anything. The owner had to talk to her and explain that the therapist who she normally got was, yes older, but wasn't as qualified as me. The client kinda 'came around' and decided to let me work on her and was thrilled with the end results.

I do really pay attention to my clients and will chat away to them about anything and everything (not hangovers or clubbing, i don't think it's very professional).

Well i like to think im still a baby ;) lol. Im 26 soon to be 27. But when i did my beauty therapy course i was 23, i had put off going to college until my son Jake was at school full time, anyway it was abit strange because i was the oldest in my class because the other girls had just left school they were all 16/17 years old! The other girls couldnt believe i was 23 with a child and soon to be getting married, i know there wasnt a huge gap but it did feel abit strange at first. I got on really well with the girls though and i met my best friend on that course! It was actually one of the best times of my life, what a laugh we had! The tutors were great too, but if there was a male client or maybe an arkward client that the other girls didnt want to do then they would usually ask me cos i didnt make a fuss, but maybe thats cos i was abit older and didnt mind doing treatments on men???? hope i havent rambled too much!!!

i forgot to say... i'm 19

Discrimination is something everyone will have to face at some stage.

Having worked in sales for years we learnt that anyone, anytime, anywhere will be discriminated.

People will on occasion dislike you: FACT
Sometimes for age... too young, too old, too middle aged....
Sometimes for height... too tall, too short, too average....
Sometimes for haircolour.... too blonde, too dark, too fancy...
Sometimes for gender....

Bottom line is, there will always be someone who takes one look at you and decides for whatever personal reason your someone they don't like/ trust.

It's nothing personal... just the way the world works, and if you are really lucky you'll learn to dance to the music being played. Otherwise get out of their way and leave them to someone else! We're all capable in our own way, pity not everyone wants to accept it.....

i'm now 47 I started in the Beauty and Nail business when I was 36 i,m so glad that I did it. I found that at College I wasn't taken too seriousely as I was the oldest one there everyone else were aged between 16 - 19 my tutor even said to me that she thought I was too old to start a new career (cheek) since finnishing college which I hated every minute of as it was too much like school,I have been on several Nail courses the last one being Creative (My favourite )last year . I wan't to go on to do the Creative masters course this year but its hard fitting it in as I have my business to run but I will do it .I don't think it matters how old you are just as long as you keep on learning you can never know enough .

Ruby

Having started my long life journey into nails at 40 I don't really know about any age descrimination (yet), I hope I don't come across any. I did fill in an application form for a mani/pedi nail tech and they insisted I put my age down, hey maybe that's why I didn't get the job!!
Geeg you've inspired me even more now knowing that you achieved your status afer 40, there's hope for me yet.

I have been doing nails since I was 14, I actually started going to school when I was 22 or 23, and now I'm getting ready to go back to school to get my license at 31.

Personally I don't feel it is an issue of discrimination as much as it is of stereotypes,:cry: some people feel that because you are young you probably are:
  • A constant party waiting to happen
  • A heavy drinker
  • Single, with many dates
  • Maybe on some type of drugs
  • Dumb and unschooled on issues of life
  • Inmature and wet behind the ears
  • Inexperienced in whatever field you may be in, etc, etc.
On the other hand some people feel that if you are...uh...more mature you are:
  • Calm and well rounded
  • Not prone to heavy drinking
  • Married
  • Not prone to drug use
  • Mature
  • Very experienced in whatever field you may be in by virtue of your age
As we all know those instances are not always true, there are some very mature young people out there, just as there is many inmature, stupid, going-through-a-midlife-crisis-and-need-to-go-sit-down-somewhere older people. When I was 21, 22 I didn't talk about hangovers, who I slept with the night before, etc, because I wasn't into that at the time. I have always been very mature for my age...and dare I say...wise beyond my years.:lol: It is very unfair to judge someone because of age. It is just as bad as judging someone due to thier heritage, ethnicity, or sexual preferences. (I know I'm babbling,:eek: sorry, it's just when I write I tend to get rather passionate...OK, to the point)

I don't care whether you be 3, 33, or 303, if you know what you doing, do the damn thing!

P.S. I thought everybody was much younger too, and it's so cool that everybody shared their ages, (Ok, this may sound corny) even though we are all in different places I feel much closer to you all. :cool:

I totally agree with sassy when she said and I do quote "I think what has come across most on this thread is that it's what's on the inside that counts and not what's on the outside!!" Well said my friend, well said.:wink2:

:lol: :lol: at marians 'old crock' and I bet u have a headache Geeg with all the ':smack: :smack:' LOL

I too thought many on here were much younger!!!!! Am excited at the thought that after 40 (and as I have said I have many many years to go before I get there....well only 3 actually :eek: lol) things could get even better as proved by some of you :biggrin:

I've just got into nails professionally at the age of 21 and almost feel stuck in some kind of limbo-land.
Part of me feels that I have started 'too late' compared to all the girls who went to the beauty school of the local sixth form college at the age of 16 (although all the wonderful people on this site have proved otherwise!). I also feel a bit like I must have wasted my time at university and should have chosen my proper career path earlier.
Another part of me feels too young and I get a feeling both from some friends & aquaintances my own age, and people of my mum's generation, that I'm just 'playing' at business: it's like I am too old to go into a salon and too young to start up for myself!
To be honest it probably mirrors a bit how I am as a person. I have never been into drinking, drugs, clubbing or sleeping around, I've been with my boyfriend for 4 years and always did well at school, apart from the fact that I was bullied by the 'popular' girls for not being the same as them, so a lot of people see me as being older than I am. At the same time I don't feel grounded or grown-up, so maybe my own personality and insecurities have coloured how other people see me doing nails??

i thought my career was over at 23 joined the royal navy and left after five years to do the maternal thing.....as much as i love my three boys i thought that was it for me dirty bums 4 hourly feeds for the rest of my life then my third boys starts school and i discover the fantastic world of nails 2 and a half years ago..........at 30 and i dreded the hitting 30 bit but life just gets better.........and there is light at the end of the tunnel and i know in a couple of years my career will fully take off and the world will be my oyster.
my boys will be semi-self sufficient :rolleyes:
and i have a hubby who has great vision for me and my career in nails.
i think as older nail technicians we have brought our family up and sacrificed alot so we can appreciate the industry we are in and spend more time on our passion....nails

Hey girls,
I never say much, but here's something I can respond to.
I'm 29 (tech for 3 years) and often it's my clients that think I don't know what I'm talking about. They try to blame me for the condition of their bitten and picked nails, trying to get money back or get free repairs. But I'm a touch b.... and they don't stay my clients for long. :smack:

That's my canadian 2 cents.
Rachel

Blissfulnailz

Isn't it great when life falls together nicely?
At the tender age of 46, I am master of my own destiny, no kids (emigrated to Canada), no control freak husband (got rid of him). What do I have? my own home that I've worked hard for, a job that is OK till I get my nails together, and a truly FANTASTIC partner.
I think that all these qualities don't come into your life until you're happy with who you are as a person, for me it was quite late in life., also, with lifes experiences you approach learning a new subject with perhaps a different attitude than you would when you were younger possibly........you learn beacuse you want to not because you have to.
I really admire all the younger techs out there, it must be great to know what you want from an early age, I feel at times I've wasted a good part of my carreer flitting from one thing to another, but at the time there wasn't really any other option. , I would have loved to be able to have knuckled down to a job I enjoyed, not did out of necessity.
The grey matter may be deteriorating (well that's what they say when you get passed 30), but us oldies have more time to apply to our studies., but at the end of the day, young or old, if you want to do something badly enough, you will do it. and what it all boils down to really is that your as young as you feel,,,,,, in my case probably about 20, my son says I'm a bigger kid than he is.

Hi, I havent come across any age discrimination yet but just wanted to say that I dont think it matters at all about age, its the passion that counts! take our geeky Essex meetings....I am 34, KellyC is 21, Jackie (sequento) is in her 40's and a few of us somewhere inbetween, but we all get on like a house on fire and share info and experiences and age isnt a factor at all, just as it is on this great site!. I too am inspired by Geeg being in her 40's before her career really took off, that means there are 6 more years for me to perfect my smile lines and rebalances before IT HAPPENS!!! :green: x

Our youngest Creative Ambassador was only 16 when she passed Bootcamp training!! She had been studying and doing nails from the age of about 14.

Why did Creative UK give her the chance to be on the team, knowing that she would encounter prejudice from many of her students??? Because she had what it takes!! Pure and simple. She also had the confidence to squash any prejudice before it really got started because she was a walking text book and really knew her stuff ... plus she did great nails (which always helps)!! :) So don't dismiss some of these talented young ones ... there are some around who are working hard and waiting their chance and we will one day be hearing about them and marvelling at their young age.

Yes I did 8 years behind the nail desk and ran 3 very successful salons and I started at around 33 years of age, but my biggest achievements have been since the age of 40. And I love the opportunity that this site affords me to still be an active 'guiding influence' to many.

Hi Geeg

I started when I was 40. New beginning of a great career. I find I am more assertive than I would have been in my 20's and I have never been made to feel I am too old. I am 42 now and get lots of comments on my age (because they think I am younger), but have never really felt 42 is too old. It gives me the incentive to keep up my appearance by being dressed up to date and hair, makeup and nails all looking their best.

My nail business has given me a new lease of life and I think its the best career move I have made. I still have lots of learn and find this aspect very exciting. This site has helped me no end.

Heather X

Hi all,
I started my training at 40, I was worried that I would be the eldest there but found that to be untrue, many younger than me and some older, I still love to learn and am taking my CND masters in Feb.

I have found that in general clients prefer an older technician as they often think that age equals experience, not always true, I also found that employers treated me with more respect than other younger technicians, which is a shame as the younger girls were aware of this, but luckily they never held it against me personally.

I too also wish I had come into the industry earlier, as I do lack the confidence to enter competitions etc, but overall I would say may age has been a positive thing.

I'm going to be 50 this year (pretty depressed about that actually!) But I started in this business on the upper side of 40 and haven't faced any prejudice at all. But it has been on my mind that I might face a few in the future. I'm looking to move away from the nail table, not completely, into another area of the business (don't know what yet but I'm open to suggestions :D ) and wondered whether my age could go against me. Could just be my state of mind though.
Oh no, I'm 50 this year! :Scared:

hi there,
i am 19 and have been qualified as a beauty therapist for a year, and now i am specilalising in nails, i would have to say being younger u do get looked down on due to lack of experience etc. I agree that with 'maturer' technicians, clients will think they have more experience, when they may not have any more than a younger person!

I started my training at the age of 30 after being at home bringing up my daughter I decided to do somthing for myself and what a revelation it turned out to be. Although I was not the oldest, I was in the older age group but I found that the more mature student was more dedicated because they were doing it for themselves.I'm glad I waited and didn't do this in my teens.I did it because I really wanted it! and now after 7 years in the bussiness I work in a great salon with a fantastic group of girls and I teach air brushing on the weekends and demo at nail shows for all things nails

Hi there

I'm 44 this year and couple of years ago I completed some British Horse Society exams. Last year, on a different road I did manicure, acrylic, gel, Indian Head Massage, Swedish Body Massage, Waxing and Spray Tanning courses. All of the courses were intense but found I really enjoyed them, and found it to be quite addictive. I wasn't sure if I would like this sort of work, but wanted to do something different and felt it was time to go back to work now the kids are a little older.

Next step, remedial massage and the Equine Massage course now I have completed the prerequisite in human massage.

There were lots of mature people on all of my courses. Certainly didn't even think there would be a problem with my age, and didn't notice any discrimination. Feel being that little bit older means I am wiser about a lot of things, which is sometimes a good thing.

I think you can never stop learning, and being older means you have a little more confidence, and it certainly makes you feel good knowing the old brain still works!

Deb379

Latest posts

Back