Ahhhhhhhhhhhh im so fed up!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its not fair that you only have 5 lessons to complete 5 assessments! I did the VTCT course with my sister last year, and the first lecturer we had was soooo bad (cancelling lessons on the day for various reasons, making us read paragraphs from photocopied notes every class and not doing any practical work for 6 weeks, etc.), we all threatened to quit the class and report the college, so the next time she called in sick, they sacked her and we got a new lecturer. Because we had wasted so much time with the first lecturer, our new tutor had the course extended by 6 weeks, and came in an extra day a week for 12 weeks so that we could catch up. VTCT have had a bad rep for as long as I can remember - we only did that course because you have to have a VTCT/NVQ to work in my borough, and plus we could fit it around our work hours, but it was a nightmare! Like someone said earlier, approach the college and tell them that you'll be making a formal complaint and ask for a refund, and they'll soon pull their finger out!

Good luck!

Sue

The problem is that some people are geting STINKING RICH because students all over the country are shelling out loads of dosh for a crap course and then putting it down to experience. £500 can be claimed through the small claims court and a first consaltation with a solisitor is usualy free as is traiding standards. I know I am ranting but if you the victim do not stand up for yourselves then more of us are going to be expencively and badly trained.
I bet if you spent £500 on a dress and the first time you wore it it fell apart you wouldn't stop until you got your money back. SO WHY ARE YOU LESS MILATENT WITH YOUR FUTURE EARNING POTENTIAL? It takes half an hour to consult a solisitor, 10 miniutes to talk to traiding standards and 10 miniutes to fill out the forms for the small claims court. I am creative trained, I know how much they charge, wouldn't the £500 from the other bunch of cowboys be useful at creative? If nothing else think of all the creative stock you could buy. :biggrin:

louisehartje said:
I did VTCT as well and passed in July 05 and not had my cert yet - i feel like I have wasted my time effort and money as I feel I did not learn rnough - I know I did an evening course, butr I have learnt so much on here and I still feel like I have a long way to go yet - i want to know how to spot contra indications and know more about the structure of the nail and skin to be a total professional.

I am seriously thinking of going to another colleg when I can afford it that does a better course in NVQ or City and Guilds so I can be the best as I feel Peterborough College and VTCT let me down big time. I have nearly given up nails as I thought I was not good enough, but realise it is my training and naiveity as well.

I just read this thread, OMG I was planning on doing this training in September!

I am booked onto some short courses at Sallys over the next few months - non-refundable! How do I tell if a course is gonna be any good? All my training so far has been with Essential Nails, I have a few regular clients who seem happy but I felt I would be better off training in a group. I'm gonna do mani, pedi, nail art and a workshop on silks. Am I wasting my money?

Anne

What I am doin now is to do training with Creative, but also register to do the New NVQ NAil Specific with one of the satelite centres also. So i get to learn with a group, but also take my assesments when i am ready and at my pace and alos get the new nail qualification.

If i was you, i would do a little more research with regards to your training in your area, or maybe find a fellow geek that might have done similar course that you are looking at and can tell you whether it was good or not.

Hope that helps

Good Luck...........:p

Anne Roberts said:
I just read this thread, OMG I was planning on doing this training in September!

I am booked onto some short courses at Sallys over the next few months - non-refundable! How do I tell if a course is gonna be any good? All my training so far has been with Essential Nails, I have a few regular clients who seem happy but I felt I would be better off training in a group. I'm gonna do mani, pedi, nail art and a workshop on silks. Am I wasting my money?

Anne

You tell how good courses are, by doing your homework on the companies that are out there and getting info from as many of them as you can and subscribing to NAILS only magazines that contain info on the companies that are out there... look at repuation of the company; has it ever won any awards for its training, do their educators win awards, what is the companies repuation in that area? HTH's

I have been looking for an NVQ course in my area and I haven't found one! I'm GOBSMACKED!! that there are not enough colleges doing the NVQ. After reading all the threads, there is obviously enough demand to make it worth their while. I personally would prefere to do a day or evening course rather than a distance course. My local college does the VTCT course which I definately won't be doing (thanks for the warning). I keep reading that the NVQ is now a must if you want to be taken seriously in this business. So Why can't I find a course to do?!
Suggestions on a postcard!!!!!!

Philippa - please don't just let this go without a fight.

It really is simple to involve Trading Standards - and just think - if nobody reports this now, the college will be free to carry on and probably rip off more and more people just like you...

I know it's ultimately your decision but please think about reporting them (as per the advice in this thread) rather than letting them get away with it. You know we're all here to help if you need it...

I too have had massive rants about VTCT's to geeg and others. The problem is that these people are just doing it for a job, they have no passion about nails. They see it just as a teaching job nothing else. Hopefully if a lot of people read this thread they will think twice about college education - what exactly it means for nails.

Latest posts

Back