Allergic to specific brand of gel

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nemo

Reaction score
We've had a new client come in who says she's allergic to Gelish and OPI. Her cuticles swell. She would like to know the ingredients to other gels. How would you respond?

We asked what she was allergic to and she didn't know. I have the MSDS sheets for all the brands we use but not sure how those will help!

This is a very tricky subject. As it may not be the gel product, but could be any of the other chemical eg, sanitizer, hydrater, cuticle oil etc. Or could be something she is coming into contact with after the service.
I know someone who has experienced a chronic reaction after having CND Shellac (yes the genuine product). Her eyes and lips swell if the cured product comes into contact with her skin.
She asked me if she could try a different brand, but without knowIng what was the alligen is talked her out of it.
I did suggest we did skin patches using small amounts of the other items first. I actually suspect in this case it's the cuticle oil.
I was advised by my educator not to do patch tests with uncured gel products.

I use shellac and only shellac. It is hypoallergenic and everything else I have tried has given me severe allergies.

I do recommend shellac but ultimately it's going to be different for everyone.

I'm going to paint one nail tomorrow. I think she's just had too much on the skin from previous nail girls. She has acetone at home to remove it straight away should she react. She hadn't worn gel polish for a year so who knows what will happen [emoji85]

Why doesn't she just go for opi infinite shine or cnd vinylux instead of gel polish, to be honest the wear time is just a few days and if she suffers from allergies I would rather come for a re paint then have painful cuticles!

We've had a new client come in who says she's allergic to Gelish and OPI. Her cuticles swell. She would like to know the ingredients to other gels. How would you respond?

We asked what she was allergic to and she didn't know. I have the MSDS sheets for all the brands we use but not sure how those will help!

I have allergies to nail products too.
These 2 brands, although both great products, are quite high % of the chemical I am allergic too and it's a well known allergen in nail products, esp Gels.
Shellac may be the way to go.

If she doesn't know what it is she is allergic to then I can't see why she is asking for a list of ingredients.
I'd give her a copy if the msds anyway if you already have them on hand.

Latest posts

Back