Allergy To Monomer

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maguire

Reaction score
I have done a search on this and found some posts but only answers the question on how to prevent it, the question I have is...can it be cured? what can you do to help ease it, what is the best creams to ease it, yes :cry: I have got the allergy and it is very uncomfortable, it is also unsightly when the skin starts to dry and peel.

If you have become allergic to a monomer, then I am sorry but this will be a permanent sensitivity there isn't a cream or anything you can use to stop yourself being allergic to it.

Can I ask, why do you think you have become allergic?

Do a search on the word 'overexposure' - there are a couple of geeks who have suffered unfortuately and there are some suggestions for easing the problems.

Unfortunately it's not possible to cure an allergy, there would be millions of very happily people about if there was, especially those who can't have nuts, blimey can you imagine never having a Snickers :rolleyes: I'm jesting of course, allergies are a serious issue, all you can do is minimise the chances of causing the irritation and help reduce the effects.

If you have become allergic to a monomer, then I am sorry but this will be a permanent sensitivity there isn\'t a cream or anything you can use to stop yourself being allergic to it.

Can I ask, why do you think you have become allergic?
It starts off with tiny blisters on the cuticle area and surrounding skin with tenderness, then a few days later will get very dry, then will start peeling, this is when I have done my own nails.

Talking antihistamines can help with allergies.

You should also find out if it is an allergic reaction or a skin irritation. A skin irritation is a right pain whereas an allergy can lead to anaphylactic (which can be life threatening).

I would recommend you speak to your doctor or practice nurse.

From the symptoms you describe it could be contact dermatitis to an irritant. It might be an idea to find another bonding agent.

Jo
Beauty products | Beauty Therapy | Professional Treatments | Beauty Supplies- Moorspa.co.uk

could you switch over to gel?

amb x

could you switch over to gel?

amb x

I am going to do the gel course in a couple of months, I also thought this might have to be the way to go.

What product are you using?

Exactly what chemical is it in the product tha you are allergic to? Or maybe you have not found that out yet.

You have probably already checked this but there is some info on this thread that may help you, it is not a cure but Mrs Clooney has some good advice on how she handled her reaction. HTH

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/56485-such-unfair-situation-i-love-doing-nails.html

Thanks I did a search and came across Mrs Clooney's post and have taken on board what she is doing, I beleive a few others with the same problem are using gloves, the only thing there is that I cannot advertise my own nails and nail art if they are covered, would a client seeing you use gloves have second thoughts, and be put off having nails done thinking they will have the same reaction, though I never get liquid on a clients finger? And I don't want to give it up as I am really passionate about what I do. I will get over this one way or another.

Thoughout my nail course last year a large portion of students experienced irritation from one particular odourless monomer we were all using. It was the regular contact that we were all having with this product that was causing the problem (most of us were allowing our hands to be exposed to the monomer in some way or another). After using a cream (Dr. prescribed an antihistamine cream) which soothed the itching and repaired the skin we were all able to resume working on acrylic with gloves (gloves with no powder). Alot of technicians have lovely nails underneath their gloves and show them off between services, so don't feel like you need to make the decision to leave your passion. If theres a will, theres a way :) Just let your irritation heal first. My lecturer at the time had suffered from allergic reactions on and off, but still persisted with extra precautions... so don't give up yet :)

Latest posts

Back