Am I being ripped off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nickie

Reaction score
Hey Geeks, I need to vent! Last night I got a phone call from my mum asking me if I could shellac my aunties nails, I said of course, then mum asked me how much I'd charge her as she is my auntie. I said £15 which is £10 cheaper than Id charge anyone else. Well my mum immmed and ahhed and said how about £10? I like a fool agreed. But now after waking up and thinking on it for a while feel so taken for granted and like my mum would rather rip me off and take money out of my pocket just so her sister can have cheap nails. I will tell my auntie that next time it'll cost £15 as I have to use more of my products to soak them off etc. Why oh why did I let myself get in this situation?

At 10.00 you will have well paid for your products ... Can't you give your time free in this instance to your Auntie? Has she never done things for you in the past?

Yeah I guess your right as usual Gigi. I think I was just annoyed with my mum for changing the price. Thanks for putting me straight :)

I must say I would be slightly put out if my Mother asked me to drop my price by more than 50% to give up my free time. My aunt comes across to me and I charge her £20 whereas its usually £25. This is in salon time, I might think differently if it wasn't but then I would still be working later than Id like to.

I think it depends on circumstance, I never charge my Mum, some times shell give me a bit to cover costs but I very rarely take it. My aunt however only started coming across to me because her old nail tech butchered her nails. If we were closer I would consider less.

I know this might sound cold hearted but I just dont have the time or money to give up in this tough first year of business.

Yeah I guess your right as usual Gigi. I think I was just annoyed with my mum for changing the price. Thanks for putting me straight :)
I dont blame you, I would have been annoyed too. Your mum did the wrong thing coercing you into doing something you did not want to do. It's hard when it's family but I think that you should just have a respectful word with mum and let her know that in the future your services must not be gifted by her to others at any price other than the one you set and that she needs to respect that You are trying to make your way in the world of business and that the price list is the price list unless YOU make the decision to change it.

In this case I think it's better all around if you focus on the 'big picture' and then you will enjoy doing your aunties nails with a happy heart and not feel resentful about having to do them. :hug:

I understand where your coming from that your mum changed the price, but at least you products are covered, I did a set yesterday hands and toes for my daughters friends its 21st, I've known her since she was 5 and I charged £10, but shes having a big party and shes very well known in her business, so sometimes its worth doing your time free as people will ask about the nails so free advertising and maybe it will bring in more clients, you never now :)

Just make sure she knows the correct price

It is so hard when it is family and close friends.
I do my 2 daughters for free, have done my mum and discount my price to a few others!
I think it also depends on the type of relationship you have with your family as to where you set your price for them.
Hhmm just thought - could you do a price list specifically for friends and family.

I don't charge my family, they have done a lot for me, so it is the least I can do in return , besides it nice to be able to do for them for free,besides I can call in favours all the time now!!!

sometimes i have an idea that id like to try nail art wise and as i cant do them on myself since im allergic to the products i will get my sister round and do them free as its my idea but if they ask for them i only ask that they cover the cost of my products and no more, however my mum decided to give me half the full price last night, which i didnt like it doesnt feel right taking money for it from her. She has fed me and taken care of me for 19 years, and guided me for the rest (another 8 years if you are wondering lol) x

I think it might be possible that you may be more annoyed at yourself for not being able to say no. That might be something to take a look at. Lots of times in my younger years, I would agree to things I wasn't comfortable with, and then get mad at the person who asked me. I discovered I was actually mad at me for not being able to say what I wanted to say to that person. A big fat NO! I have learned how to not answer without taking time to think. My typical response now is, "That might work. Can I think about it and get back to you?" Then if you decide to say yes, it was a choice that you had time to process.

I charge all my friends £10 as it covers my products & they let me experiment with new nail art & techniques. I take pictures of all their nails for my fb page & they promote my work. They are walking ad's!!

Arrrg! My mom has done this to me with her friends. She will tell them my daughter does nails and she will do them for free for you! When I've informed her that, no I will not being doing them for free cause I have to pay for my product, she gets so mad at me! It's always, her friends can't afford to pay for it. Well they shouldn't be getting their nails done then. I do my family's nails for free and they usually will give me a little bit of money to cover product. But when my mom extends that to friends, I draw the line.

I do my mum for free and my sister in law for £10.

I think the main issue here is that the matter of price was taken out of your hands almost, making it difficult for you.

I think your mum should have asked you first before suggesting a price to her sister and I can see, especially if you're not close to your aunty, how what happened could be annoying and you would feel a little taken for granted and exploited.

Well I did them for £10 and took Gigi's advice and looked at the bigger picture and to be honest I really enjoyed spending time with her and doing them for her :) I did Fedora with tinsel toast over the top and oh my word they looked the biz! Thanks guys for all your advice. :)

Well I did them for £10 and took Gigi's advice and looked at the bigger picture and to be honest I really enjoyed spending time with her and doing them for her :) I did Fedora with tinsel toast over the top and oh my word they looked the biz! Thanks guys for all your advice. :)

Hopefully she'll be a good advert and you'll have em all running! x

Latest posts

Back