Am I ever going to be able to do this????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kirsty_

Reaction score
Hi geeks,

Am getting so frustrated at the moment, still very new to all this but am beginning to think that maybe I am not cut out for nails. I have my final day of training 2moro with CND, but really worried that they are going to tell me I am rubbish.

I am happy with prep and tipping but my problem is when I get to the acrylic. My mix ratio seems ok but when it comes to applying the product, no matter how small my beads are or how long it takes me the finish is always lumpy and my smile lines are not good. Once I file and finish they look average but I just hate not being able to do things perfectly. Please tell me that it is normal to have the acrylic like this at my level of experience and that my smile lines will improve........:)

A friend of mine who does nails said that you either have it or you dont and that possibly i didnt have it. Was gutted cause I love, love, love doing this and want to be perfect.

Any advice, am I being too hard on myself? xxx

Rome wasnt built in a day hun :) give it time and things soon get better :) hope your last day goes well and talk to your teacher she will help you :hug:

Don't be so harsh on yourself. You are just starting out in the industry and it takes a lot of practice before you start to see results.

Have a chat with your educator. I am sure he/she will reassure you.

Stick at it and good luck!:hug:

PS The person that said you either have it or you don't and you may not have it is not the kind of friend you need. Maybe she is threatened that you will be great one day!

ouch! I don't think your friend is much of a friend.

Average sounds about right for your stage. I'm sure your CND instructor will tell you what and if anything needs improving and how to do it.

Once you've finished your training you just need to practice like crazy. Either get all the girls together and do a bit of a nail party or different friends on different days if you find this a bit tiring. Or advertise practice nails for a cheap price to cover your costs, say £10.

If it was that easy everyone would do it. It takes passion and practice. You've obviously got the passion, so practice. Good luck hun xx

Hi Hun,
Please don't be so harsh on yourself.
I too think your "Friend" may feel a bit threatened.....surely she can remember when she had just started doing nails ???? Bet she was no better at that stage !!!! I know I wasn't. It took me ages to be happy with my nails. I know I have still loads to learn, we should always be striving to learn more and more.
You sound just about right for the amount of training you have done. Tell your educator your worries and I am sure you will be OK.
Remember you have all your Geek friends on here to help you.
Lotsa luv hun x :hug: :hug: :hug: x

:cry: i feel so bad for you- you are going thru some jitters & friend tells you that ur not cut out to do nails? NOT COOL!! i am 40 yrs. old. and i just got my license a year ago- it was always my dream to do nails so when i graduated high school i wanted to go to cosmetology school, but my mom didnt think it was a good idea, soo i listened to her and went into dental assisting-what a waste of time! i hated it and was then stuck in a career that i hated for many yrs, i finally decided to do it and i am a perfectionest so it was hard for me at times and i remember about the time i was ready to graduate nail school, i was having alot of doubt on if i had chosen the right thing- nails are not easy or anyone would do it but half of the battle is passion- which you seem to have so dont let these jitters get the best of you!!! i am sure that with practice you will do fine as long as you dont forget that you love doing it and it is ur dream- keep up the good work and a year from now things will look so much better!

Its normal !!!

come on guys...what did your early nails look like and how long did they take you....? mine are too funny to remember...:lol:

I'm training too. and that's all you've got to remember.. you're training. nobody is perfect at this stage. don't push yourself to be perfect at such an earlier stage. You sound like you're doing so well already. don't worry to much because that will just make things worse.
Ignore your 'friend'
I've got another lesson tomorrow. my smile lines aren't perfect. - but they don't expect that of us, we cant be perfect in just a few lessons.
and I keep putting the acrylic too close to the cuticle.. but i'm not going to let it stop me. practise makes perfect. and that's what we'll be :D
Keep your head up. and if you love it... then don't let anything stop you and keep at it :D
xXx

hey at the end of the day its up to your tutor to make sure you are educated. so take the preasure off your self. Tell her how you feel and im sure she will help. It will proberbly be some thing small and she will guide you . Not your problem. keep at it and that light bulb will sudenly go on .x

Its normal !!!

come on guys...what did your early nails look like and how long did they take you....? mine are too funny to remember...:lol:
My whites looked like i was mountains :hug:

thanks everyone, feel much better now, have just done a set on my faithful trainer and they were ok, i guess the main thing is that i know where i need to improve. you are all so great on here, i love salon geek!!! lots of love to all xx

I felt exactly the same as you at your stage of training and when qualified could not believe that they had passed me (i knew my nails were terrible)

i thought i would never get it and had wasted lots of money,

i threw my self to the wolves and rented a table in a hair dressers straight away and charged a lower rate for my sets of nails,
they took me about three and a half hours back then and i think two hrs of that was filing away the lumps,
but due to the amount of practise i got through been there i improved,

i am very proud of my nail skills now ( i promise you be able will say this one day soon)

as for your friend jealousy is a horrible trait :hug:

crikey! go easy on yourself hon. as everyone else has said , it takes practise and patience. i can recall my first 10 sets of nails were shocking! SHOCKING! but now things have clicked into place finally. Look hon, i m not an expert or anything and dont teach, but i am not far from you (llandudno) I have a nail and beauty salon and you are welcome to come to the salon and see me and we can spend some time together going through your nails and if i can help in any way, i will. xx

Failing that, contact fiona from NSI in chester for some one to one sessions and she will have you straight in no time.

I am certain that your trainers will be delighted to set your mind at rest and will want you to go to them with your worries. they are there to help you.

as for your mate , you just have to accept that some people say things like that. take no notice, in fact, use it as your strength. go into that class, picture her face when you come out with your hard earned certificate! go for it!

best of luck

tigi
xxx

Its normal !!!

Totally agree....it took me about 2 years to 'click' although I was producing commercially viable nails prior to that, it just took longer to get the required results.

You will get there, you haven't even finished your foundation yet, so don't loose the faith xxx

Its normal !!!

LOL... my smile lines looked like a wadge of chewing gum :eek:

Its like everything new you do - you gotta practice to perfect..

Love Gill

Hi hun, I'm training too (essential nails at home) and I feel exactly the same.
Every time I think I'm starting to get the hang of it I produce a set of rubbish nails!

Please please please let me re iterate all of the above comments.

I have posted loads on here about not being ready, frustration at my timings just not grasping the whole mix ratio thing and i like you really thought it would never come. However, I am now just beginning to see the wood through the trees, all of a sudden it appears to be clicking into place....

I took my course in December and its only now that im seeing results which im happy with. My last few sets are now only taking 1.5 hours, prev it was 2 which was driving me mad and whilst it still sounds like a long time im chuffed with it and am hoping that with a few more months under my belt I might even get it down to 1.15 (heres hoping!!!).

Im hoping tho if I this 1.5 is consistent then i will feel much more confident to go out and get some outside business ( currently just sticking to friends and family) it was always the 2 hour thing holding me bcak...

Its still really really early days for you yet and you will get more frustrated as time passes but just remember that it does take time and you have the support of this site and your educator and trust me when I say .. That it will come!

You watch now, i'll go back to 2 hr stints having only had the 1.5 as a fluke!!!!!

my first nails.....

looked like they weremeant to be white, with a pink lunula! my whites were really too far down!

i amde the mistake of thinking i was rubbish, and using white tips.... and then i started to use white tips, and put white acrylic over, jsut to allow me to fillow the line...

and now, though far from perfect, i can do reasonable smile lines...

and when i firrst started, i was approx using an endurance file a set, to file the lumps......and endurance file is suppose dto last 4 time slonger than a normal file....enough said!

you'l be a great tech one day! :hug: and as for you're friend, i think shes panicking about the competition!

:hug:

What your friend said is ridiculous. I think its either you have the PASSION or you dont. If you dont have enough passion for it you wont push through the hurdles.

Dont give up, I trained in february and my training was horrible and it hasnt been in an easy road for me, but sure it enough day by day and week by week things are getting better. Everytime I do set they are better than the last. Its a slow process for some of us, hang in there:hug:

oh and of course salon geek has helped ooodles!!!!! :green:

Ouch! Not cool that your friend disrespected you that way. If you love doing nails and have a passion for it, then you will succeed over time. It takes time! My goodness, after 11 years I am still learning!

You have chosen a wonderful product and CND has incredible support. Don't be so hard on yourself, give it time, patience and, to quote Gigi, "perfect practice makes perfect"

You can do it!

Latest posts

Back