Am I the only one who doesn't apply extensions on pregnant clients?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sarahluise

Reaction score
Hi girl's
I strongley advise against apply extensions on my pregnant clients. I explain to them that due to hormone changes you hair changes and may become weaker and wearing extensions can cause stress leading to breakage, many of my regular clients have taken my advice but some girls get quiet aggressive and then go to someone else

Does anyone else experience this? I would hate to ruin anyones hair and it's better to be safe than sorry right?!

I don't do extensions, but think you are being very professional. If I was pregnant I am sure I would appreciate your honesty. And I would respect you for not just taking my money xx

Thank you that means alot! :) x

Totally agree. I won't do it for a pregnant girl and I won't do it straight after the baby arrives either. I think hair extensions can be stressful when your not pregnant let a lone when you are or just had a baby!! If the client wants to go somewhere else then let them, no amount of money should compare to a good reputation. As hard as that may be at these depressing times!

Yes exactly! I don't apply them till untill at least 9-12 months after just too give your body annd hormones a chance to rest and settle xx

It's not even the mother that's the problem, feeding with long hair flying all over the baby isn't go! I did a client with a little one and when she was holding him he started yanking at the extensions! I agree Hun, just do what your comfortable with and don't do what everyone else does if your not happy. Remember that some people have been in this industry for years and years and still wouldn't do half the things other people do! :) x

I totally wont apply them on pregnant women either!Or for up to 6 months after.!x

No I dont appply them to pre or post natal women either. I went to see a woman for a consultation to remove some extensions in January. She'd had them applied about 3 months post natal & because she was losing her hair after the baby, she had bald patches, thinning etc etc, it was awful.

I dont do them on pregnant or post natal either! As some women grow extra hair then it falls out after they have had the baby so the extensions could damage the hair that the bond is hanging on t. If they really want them id advise clip ins for special occasions :) xx

I don't apply them either xx

Its so strange i wrote this and shortly after a client i turned away messaged me for help, not only did she totally ignore my advice she had an extensionist apply 1 gram strands in her fine her shes very upset her hair is snapping all over, maybe girls will listen now and learn from her experience as awful as it sounds i defiantly know I'm doing the right thing now!

Thanks for all your help :)

im my training we are advised not to apply hair extensions to women who are pregnant as pregnancy can cause hair loss due to hormones and having extensions can aggrevate the hair loss. so i advise any client to wait 6 months after giving birth before having them fitted

Hiya, thought I jump in as Im an experienced extensionist and also pregnant with baby number 3 :)

Can I ask where you get your information that hair is weak when pregnant? Hair can be weak at all times of life and this is for you to assess at time of consultation not just when pregnant.

Infact hair is very strong during pregnancy, hence blooming with healthy skin/nails and hair.

I strongly avoid fitting them in the first trimester (12weeks) but most people dont find out their pregnant until 6 weeks gone so they dont mind waiting and this isnt because the hairs weak its purely because the risk of miscarriage is higher and its a situation best of not complicating yourself with.

After 12 weeks the hair doesnt shed naturally, making hair thicker, which is great for the already existing extensions as no loose hair falling through.

Throughout a pregnancy when a women is probably not feeling very attractive or herself is the perfect time for a much needed confidence boost, especially if it something they have always had then to be told you wont fit them can probably be quite upsetting.

Hair extensions should not be fitted for 6 months after pregnancy but this is because all the hair that hasnt shed during the 9 months will now shed rapidly and you dont want your client thinking its the extensions making her hair thin (its just pregnancy) If my client insists that she still wants them in I explain my advice to her and if she is still persistant i.e shes had them before when had a baby or shes willing to see for herself then I have a box on my consultation form saying shes understood why but still would like to have them fitted. I see my clients every 4-6 weeks so can check regularly on them.

I have never had any problems with any of my pregnant clients and it can certainly be that pick me up that they desperatly need.

And also please dont assume just because your pregnant or have a baby you havent got time to care for extensions. Infact you have probably got more time because after 7pm children are in bed and you have a whole vening to fill. I have 2 children, pregnant, 2 dogs, moved house and run a very successful business and still have time to look after my hair:)
Also why would you discriminate against a mother having them because you think it will go in the babies face?? Thats not really your professional place to make a judgement as its very easy to place hair in a side plait/bun.

Aslong as you are giving your clients the best aftercare advice and regular maintenance, making yourself accessable to queries all the time, you wont be any higher risk of getting negative feedback than that of any other client you see.

Hope I havent come across forceful with my views but as you can tell its something close to my heart :) Hair and babies xxx

We get our information through our training which states that H.E should not be applied to pregnant clients , clients within 6 month of giving birth , and i personally dont apply to clients whilst they are still breast feeding.

Its about hormones, hair is not 'strong' as you claim during pregnancy , but in most cases ceases to shed as it does normally . The hormonal changes that occur in the body during pregnancy can disrupt the hair growth pattern causing temporary hair loss. Hair-loss during pregnancy maybe pretty rare in comparision to post pregnancy loss but there are always clients that do not fit the rule.

Any decent training company worth it's salt would have drilled this into you.

Not only is about not wanting the client to suffer any hair loss ,blame any hair loss on the hairdresser but also protecting your reputation which is the most important thing you possess.

Last edited:
Can I ask, are you all qualified hairdressers? Of course a one day training company will drill this into you because it is a massively wide open discussion, and with subjects like that its best to just say no to avoid a lengthy discussion.

As a hairdresser you spend months studying pregnancy and illnesses unit that have different effects of hair etc. It is purely down to personal hairdressers preference if they will even colour a pregnant persons hair but you wouldnt insist all your pregnant clients go around with 9 month roots.

Like I said after pregnancy is a big no no but during (after first trimester) is all down to experience, regular maintenance and understanding between you and a client. Its not a set rule, and no one will be sueing etc.

Any client at any stage of life can suffer hair loss for a number of reasons.

My main shock at this thread was that a mother shouldnt have extensions as she wouldnt have the time to look after them and the baby would pull on them :s that is ridiculous reason to exclude your client, which potentially has been a loyal client.

Hiya, thought I jump in as Im an experienced extensionist and also pregnant with baby number 3 :)

Can I ask where you get your information that hair is weak when pregnant? Hair can be weak at all times of life and this is for you to assess at time of consultation not just when pregnant.

Infact hair is very strong during pregnancy, hence blooming with healthy skin/nails and hair.

I strongly avoid fitting them in the first trimester (12weeks) but most people dont find out their pregnant until 6 weeks gone so they dont mind waiting and this isnt because the hairs weak its purely because the risk of miscarriage is higher and its a situation best of not complicating yourself with.

After 12 weeks the hair doesnt shed naturally, making hair thicker, which is great for the already existing extensions as no loose hair falling through.

Throughout a pregnancy when a women is probably not feeling very attractive or herself is the perfect time for a much needed confidence boost, especially if it something they have always had then to be told you wont fit them can probably be quite upsetting.

Hair extensions should not be fitted for 6 months after pregnancy but this is because all the hair that hasnt shed during the 9 months will now shed rapidly and you dont want your client thinking its the extensions making her hair thin (its just pregnancy) If my client insists that she still wants them in I explain my advice to her and if she is still persistant i.e shes had them before when had a baby or shes willing to see for herself then I have a box on my consultation form saying shes understood why but still would like to have them fitted. I see my clients every 4-6 weeks so can check regularly on them.

I have never had any problems with any of my pregnant clients and it can certainly be that pick me up that they desperatly need.

And also please dont assume just because your pregnant or have a baby you havent got time to care for extensions. Infact you have probably got more time because after 7pm children are in bed and you have a whole vening to fill. I have 2 children, pregnant, 2 dogs, moved house and run a very successful business and still have time to look after my hair:)
Also why would you discriminate against a mother having them because you think it will go in the babies face?? Thats not really your professional place to make a judgement as its very easy to place hair in a side plait/bun.

Aslong as you are giving your clients the best aftercare advice and regular maintenance, making yourself accessable to queries all the time, you wont be any higher risk of getting negative feedback than that of any other client you see.

Hope I havent come across forceful with my views but as you can tell its something close to my heart :) Hair and babies xxx

If you fit them when the client is pregnant do you remove them before the due date?

Not a sarcastic question just wandering because you said you'll fit them on a pregnant woman but not someone who has recently had a baby.

If you fit them when the client is pregnant do you remove them before the due date?

Not a sarcastic question just wandering because you said you'll fit them on a pregnant woman but not someone who has recently had a baby.

Dates are spoke about when fitting extensions, but with micro-rings only staying in the hair 3-4 months max this has never been an issue as they are usually due out before baby is born.

The same could be said to extensionist that wont fit into pregnant womens hair, would you fit them in a women thats trying for a baby? I dont think you wouldnt fit them because she may become pregnant before they are due out, again its another example of how indepth this subject is and isnt clear cut and definate rules.

Louise xx

The trichologist that is affiliated to Racoon recommends not fitting to pregnant or breast feeding clients. This is a contra-indication and not a grey area.

And yes i am a level 3 trained hairdresser .

If you wish to play russian roulette with your clients hair and reputation louisexx then so be it but i do find it hard to swallow when you are promoting bad practise .

Pregnancy and breast feeding ARE a contra-indication for hair extensions.
Contra-indications are there for a reason and should never be ignored .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

im not a hairdresser but if i wanted extensions and you advised me not to have them i would take it on board BUT....if i really wanted them and you wouldnt do it i would go elsewhere!!!

pregnant women are told not to smoke etc but they still do!!!

Latest posts

Back