Am I the only one who doesn't apply extensions on pregnant clients?!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This was a thread to ask about fitting extensions whilst pregnant and I've passed on my information that I follow.
You mention "racoon" which are a form of glue, I fit micro rings which are completely different (and what I'm talking about) as not just stuck in and left they are repositioned every 4 weeks and the hair is checked carefully at each apt.

There are 6 different ways of extending hair, I can think of, and all have different after care/ maintenance.
It really upsets me that this site is meant to be a discussion forum, different opinions and different experiences shared to improve knowledge and guide. Instead some people insist on trying to make others look bad. It's not always black and White.

I have a fantastic reputation and I certainly don't risk that or go against any "rules"

The trichologist that is affiliated to Racoon recommends not fitting to pregnant or breast feeding clients. This is a contra-indication and not a grey area.

And yes i am a level 3 trained hairdresser .

If you wish to play russian roulette with your clients hair and reputation louisexx then so be it but i do find it hard to swallow when you are promoting bad practise .

Pregnancy and breast feeding ARE a contra-indication for hair extensions.
Contra-indications are there for a reason and should never be ignored .

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek
Just out of curiosity if one of your extension clients became pregnant would you refuse to do her maintenance and insist on removing them? What would you do/say if she went against your advise and asked you to maintain them anyway for her? Xx

I don't do extensions on anyone who is pregnant or 6 -9 months after the baby.

I explain the reasons why to each client and although they might not be happy with it they understand my reasoning and appreciate my honesty.

It hasn't happened to me yet but if a client did get pregnant I'd recommend them to have the extensions removed and explain why.

I'm trained in many extension methods and each course I've been on I've been told NOT to fit hair on pre or post natal women.

I would assess the hair and scalp before I made a judgement call. Pregnancy in itself is not a contra-indication, but some of the hair problems that sometimes arise can be.

As a rule, if you are not a trained hairdresser, or you are using micro rings, then avoid pregnant women's hair.
If you know what you are looking for, understand and can identify potential problems, and use resin bonds, you can often go ahead without problems.

I do exenstions on everyone just BC u or pregnant doesn't mean anything there hair will not fall out

Sent from my AT100 using SalonGeek

*Thanks everyone for all your comments

I just personally do not apply them from when a client tells me they are pregnant to around 9months - 1 year after due to being taught that on my course surley they must advice it for some reason or another i do take in account every client is different and it is not always the case and many women do and can wear extensions throughout pregnancy and after however i am not taking the risk with any client and don't want to damage my reputation and yes if a client told me she was pregnant for example whilst wearing hair extensions i would strongly make her aware of why i am not going to re-fit them and if she has them done else where thats 100% okay but at least i don't have too walk around with a guilty mind as i'm that kind of person who would

I do advise every client that it's not always the case and many women are fine about it but i have too think about my reputation

I was thinking about also doing a form where they had to sign to say they were liable as i advised them fully on what can happen but still I'm not too comfortable with this*

Personally i would just prefur to have lost 1 client due to turning them away by being proffesional and cautious rather than loosing 1 client and many others and ruining their hair because i ignored what i was told and applied hair extensions causing damage*

I totally respect every hair extensionist will have been taught something different and like others said hairdressers will know from knowledge and experience what too look out for*

But at the end of the day if i was to be taken too court surly i would be liable as i was advised against this

Hope no one gets offended by any posts*

Sarah <3

I think it depends on there hair and the type of extensions recommended u as a stylist should determine that

After having two children myself I can categorically say my hair would've been fine for extensions, there really is no reason for pregnant ladies to not have them fitted if the consultation is carried out fully.

I actually fitted some very recently, but as she had never worn extensions before I carried out full and thorough consultation then fitted a row of pre bonded and micro rings which I left for 7 days before I decided whether I would fit them. I did fit them and there have been no problems at all. The client is actually getting married next month, hence the reason for extensions, I have made her aware and added it to her agreement that they must be removed before giving birth and I won't refit new set until 9-12 months later.

Last edited:
I would assess the hair and scalp before I made a judgement call. Pregnancy in itself is not a contra-indication, but some of the hair problems that sometimes arise can be.

As a rule, if you are not a trained hairdresser, or you are using micro rings, then avoid pregnant women's hair.
If you know what you are looking for, understand and can identify potential problems, and use resin bonds, you can often go ahead without problems.

Another reason why non hairdresser fitting extensions should beware as they would not know what pregnancy, or rather first trimester and after pregnancy can do to the hair, ie hair loss, over active sebaceous glands etc, as no extension training would tell you this.

As a fully qualified hairdresser like Persianista I can say that most pregnant women's hair is more healthy than at any other time in their lives.

People also need to be aware that scalp secretions change during pregnancy. While there is always a risk with metal micro rings on the scalp, this is heightened during pregnancy due to the changes in the body chemistry.
This is why I think resin bonds are safer.
Raccoon only train qualified hairdressers in resin bonding though.

Well have learnt something today !

Ok i still will not be applying them myself but i apologise for just spouting what i was taught. It's obviously not as black and white as i was lead to believe.

just goes to show there is always something new to learn in hairdressing.

Latest posts

Back