Am I too old to re train as a makeup artist?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarahc

Reaction score
i have just come out of a messy divorce .. we were married 18 yrs and after i had my first child at 19 he didnt like me working, i went on to have another 2 kids and once they were at school i tried to go to college to learn some skills, educate myself etc but he always made it difficult for me, saying he couldnt babysit, we couldnt afford the kits and books etc - this sent me into a down ward spiral of lack of confidence, self esteem and eventually depression which im only just coming out of
i was recently left some money from a great aunt, and whilst deciding what to buy the kids i suddenly had a lightbulb moment a decided to spend it on .. MYSELF !
i have always dreamed of working as a makeup artist, and although i realise its too late for me to train to work in TV - not practical as i still have 2 teenagers at home etc .. i thought perhaps i could use my mini windfall to pay for a foundation makeup course and offer bridals, lessons and perhaps even photographic / editorial makeup services
the problem is, my self confidence is still pretty low and i keep telling myself that at 41 im ridiculous to even consider re training in such a glamorous field of beauty .. what you think? am i being too hard on myself?
would love to hear positive stories from any geeks who have retrained in their late 30's early 40's
great site by the way, i can see myself logging on here often - cup of coffee in hand!
thanks, sarahc

No! Do it and you'll be glad you did...do you really want to wish what 'could have been' a year down the line???

Age is nothing but a number hun!
I'm currently working with my mum who turned 42 yesterday, im trained in beauty therapy and make-up and she's trained in nails. She hopes to hand over the business to me one day.
I used to have low self confidence and lacking motivation, but then i started realising my passsion for make-up and my confidence grew as i practiced on friends and family and they told me how great i was at it. I used to go to drama school, and each time we did a show i use to do all the make-up and everyone loved me for it.
So i took up a part time course in beauty therapy at a local college and did a short course in make-up and i love it! Christmas was my busiest time and i built up an excellent client base.
I hope to move onto TV and film someday, but right now i like it where i am.
You have to start at the bottom and work your way up, and you can really do it if you put your mind to it! I think just go for it, there's nothing to lose!
Good luck xx:green:

wow .. thank you both for your quick responses, this forum moves fast!

really appreciate your encouraging words, i also thought about doing nails but only because i rightly or wrongly thought it might be more suitable for someone my age .. im not saying that nails are for "older" ladies, its just that i have this image that make up artists are slim, trendy young things and although i look after myself, i dont quite fit that image!

thats holding me back big time, but i know its just my lack of self confidence playing tricks with my mind

Last edited:
not at all!! go for it!! after having my three kids I decided to go for it with nails, I have added waxing, manicure pedicure, spray tan and soon to do a eastern facial massage course as well, and there are lots more I want to do, I don't think age is a dissadvantage, maybe an advantage!?!? we have experiance behind us in a different way to those younger, and can use this to our advantage, I would say go for it!! good luck with your new venture!!! xx ruth

I know, i love it, i've been on here since 10am :/ it's becoming addictive haha.:eek:
& don't be silly! on the high street where our beauty place is, there's a salon at the other end from us who were in competition with, and clients come to us saying they dont like the other place as the girls are all young stuck-up skinny girls! I think as long as your confident and friendly you can pull anything off.
Is there anywhere in your area that offers make-up courses?

thanks again .. keep sending me those positive vibes !!

i was thinking about doing a foundation course which also covers bridal, a little fashion and editorial at aof - academy of freelance makeup, not too far for me to travel

the web site looks a little scary though .. again with those skinny young things!

thanks again, sarah

ah yeah i was looking into it there, but i was put off as i thought it would be all young model-type girls haha. its pretty pricey though and was too far for me to travel so i settled for one in ashford, literally round the corner from me. we covered bridal, photographic and camoflauge make-up. it was only me and another girl on the course and we got on great. The tutor was lovely, i went back and did 3 more courses with them. Would definately consider them in the future as well.

laurenatcherubs
was also considering a 5 day 1-1 with a professional makeup artist, as i wouldnt be too shy about asking questions if i didnt understand something but wouldnt know where i stood with insurance
could you possibly pm me the place you trained at? keep all my options open - were you able to gain insurance with their qualification or were you already covered because you trained in beauty?

It was at Kent Beauty Academy, £275 for a 2 day course (with 2 weeks practice in between) and i gained student insurance with The Guild of beauty therapists - £55 for the year.

thanks lauren
will keep a note of that

I agree that one is never too old and if you want something badly enough then go for it.

Are you naturally artistic? Make up artistry isn't something everone can do,it takes lots and lots of practice but if you stick with it you will be pleasantly surprised how your skills develope.Practice on everyone and anyone who will let you,dont be scared of colours and bold looks.Invest in a good quality set of brushes and good qualifty make up.I love doing make up,it really is one of my favourite treatments and I love doing my friends and family's make up too.

There's loads of vids on youtube,have alook and it will give you an idea of what type of skills are needed.Good luck.:hug:

Hi, I would say you're never too old. I only trained in beauty in my mid-30's and it was a total change of direction for me and I love it. I still haven't properly got on my feet but I love, love, love what I do and don't regret my training at all.
Another thing I would suggest is to do a course in something like kick-boxing or similar - the boost to your self-confidence is incredible, it gives you a real sense of "can-do" attitude.
Good luck x

the problem is, my self confidence is still pretty low and i keep telling myself that at 41 im ridiculous to even consider re training in such a glamorous field of beauty .. what you think? am i being too hard on myself?
would love to hear positive stories from any geeks who have retrained in their late 30's early 40's
great site by the way, i can see myself logging on here often - cup of coffee in hand!
thanks, sarahc

Hi! The saying goes, 'life begins at 40', so technically, you're only a year old. LOL! Seriously, go for it and enjoy the rest of your life!

Best of luck! :hug:

never ever too old, i went to college at 40, my younger daughter was on the same course, (we both did beauty), but a year ahead of me, go for it and enjoy xx

I would never worry about age.... the one great thing about being an older newbie is that your clients will think you've been doing it for years and will have more confidence in you.... bonus:)

I would never worry about age.... the one great thing about being an older newbie is that your clients will think you've been doing it for years and will have more confidence in you.... bonus:)

EXCELLENT point! :)

You are never too old!
If it's any inspiration, I am one of the top hairdressers in my area. I am also in my forties, and you know the saying every dog has it's day............LOL
A top makeup artist is one of my clients and she is in her fifties and certainly not a glamourpuss.
Our industry is a meritocracy and you will be judged on what you can do, not how pretty you look when your doing it.
Th most successful stylist I ever met was a little plain lady in her fifties, she was a great hairdresser and her work was fresh and contempory. She was amazingly successful yet you wouldnt have assumed it on looks alone.
So give it a go, and chase your ambition. Best of luck x

I am total agreement with all the previous comments. I only became a beauty therapist three years ago in my mid thirties after being stuck in an office all my working life up to then, so it was a complete change for me. I can honestly say I have never looked back, love it, love it, love it. You go for it and really concentrate on you and what you would like to do. 41 is not old, you maybe just feel it because you have been through a lot. Also just going on a course can do wonders for your confidence and if its anything like my experience you will have a great laugh and make some really nice people. All the best what ever you decide. x

Hi if it helps I trained at AOFM 2 years ago in january. Course was a lot of money, but worth it, u meet lots of different makeup artists and get to know what ur style is, u get to try lots of makeup ranges too. I didn't like jana the main guy who runs it, very drame queen like! His abit like marmite in my opinion! My main downpoint was the photoshoot, I wasn't told that it was on either sat or sunday of the last week when sunday wasn't a day I was told it would be on, and I had to get train back to newcastle but fortunately got the saturday, and elise dumontet who photographs ladies on gok wan was our photographer she's great but they also didn't tell any of us that you don't get your photos, there extra to pay for, instead you get a disc with small pixel images and she wanted 150 - 200 per image! None of us bought the images. All in all I would recommend it however maybe look around mac do small courses, greasepaint are abit more pricey, but look fab! Even jemma kidd! Aofm may bit abit better now I just felt iQUOTE=sarahc;1020276]thanks again .. keep sending me those positive vibes !!

i was thinking about doing a foundation course which also covers bridal, a little fashion and editorial at aof - academy of freelance makeup, not too far for me to travel

the web site looks a little scary though .. again with those skinny young things!

thanks again, sarah[/QUOTE]
Posted via Mobile Device

Latest posts

Back