Am I using too much primer?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perls Beauty

Reaction score
Hi all

I have recently qualified in acrylic tip & overlay and maintenance with Essential Nails (about 6 months ago) with a Credit in the L&P and a distinction in the maintenance.

I haven't done that many clients as I have been aiming to just gradually build up business to fit around my current job, and then intend to go over to nails full time once I have a stady client base.

Of the dozen or so clients I have had though, I am having real problems with lifting! I have called EN and spoken to them about it and have checked all the possible problem elements they spoke about -

- make sure that the cuticle and all pterygium is removed completely
- make sure the nail bed is ABSOLUTELY clear of any remaining debris from filing etc.
- make sure the nail bed is well cleaned with sanitiser
- make sure that the primer is applied to the natural nail
- try using a wetter mix so that it has more chance of adhearing to the nail

I am doing all of these things and still seem to have certain clients where the nails lift really quite badly - I would say about 30%! :rolleyes:

When I do my own I don't seem to have too much lifting but I am always maintaining mine so that they constantly look great - so my clients see fab nails on me, and then call me back saying that theres are lifting!!!! Nightmare!!!!

Anyone help - please........... :irked:

I do wonder if you can use TOO MUCH primer - I tend to be quite liberal with it as you can't really see it and because of the initial problems with lifting I thought that if I put more primer on it would solve the promblem?? Maybe I am making it worse??

Thanx

Loz xx

I don't think it is a primer problem.......I hope you are making sure you do not touch the skin with it though and are letting it completely dry before you apply your product.

Speaking of touching the skin!!
How is your application of the product???
Are you definitely not touching the skin surrounding the nail with it.
I don't advise working with a wetter mix ratio as that can actually cause lifting, and you will lose control of the product and probably flood the sidewalls and cuticle area with it, again causing lifting.
Also once you have applied the product are you sealing it properly with your file, a good finish filing technique working down the grits is essential.

I hope I have given some answers in amongst my questions here lol. HTH

Thanks for that........

I did find it harder with a wetter mix, as you say it's much more difficult to control!

I am very careful and don't think that I am touching the side walls etc.

When you say 'sealing with the file', what exactly do you mean? I do file over with a 100, then 180, then buffer block on both sides and have even been adding a coat of OPI liquid buff to try and seal it better - is there more I could do?

Hi there - it doesn't sound like primer is the problem - unless you arent waiting for the primer to dry completely before your application.

I used to have lifting problems as well and it was because I had the product too thick around the eponychium and sidewalls. Now I make sure the acrylic is very thin and blended in to the nail plate.

Also, working with a wetter mixture may help with adhesion, but it may cause service breakdown as the enhancement will loose its durability.

Good luck!

I was only reading about wetter applications in the Doug Schoon book today and it's a definite non starter. Not only are you more likely to get service breakdown, but it can also gradually cause over exposure. It's not the answer. :hug:

Could also be caused by how you are applying the product,
you need to press and push the product so that it is getting pressed into the nail plate to get a really good adhesion hth :hug:

You may benefit from a extra training session so someone could watch your application and help you make any adjustments needed.

Personally I think you would benefit by changing the product line you use by doping a Conversion Class with a live trainer who knows his/her stuff!

There are products that don't require the use of primer, that don't yellow, that rarely break and that don't lift ad that stay looking good from one month to the next. Many take that list of problems and think it is normal to see and experience these things ... it doesn't have to be.

Sounds to me like you might be ready go to the next level.

Latest posts

Back