Another great article in the Daily Fail

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Floss26

Reaction score
You only need to read the comments to see that these people need a little nail education! I felt like replying to each one :p

If they are convinced it'll ruin their nails, let them think so. We know, and so do our clients, how fantastic these UV Manicures are and you only have to look at some of your own customers to see the proof is in the pudding! Long, strong, healthy nails that they didn't have before.

There's enough information out there about Shellac etc to know that they are fantastic products that help our clients' nails and the majority of people will take this article with a pinch of salt - if those reading/writing the article are too ignorant to seek out the truth and listen to this drivel then we don't need them as clients anyway ;)

xx

Urgh. Daily Fail aside, that's a lovely colour on those nails. Anyone know if it's a shellac colour?? ;-)

Lol. Well I suppose it makes a change from writing about "immigrants" taking "our" jobs......

Infuriating! The 'best' comments have completely 'badmouthed' Shellac. The sad thing is there is no way of replying to each of them! I realise a lot of the comments are from USA, and I am sure if Samantha new the tone of the piece she may have been a little more feisty with her response, I certainly would have been!!! Again, it doesnt help with all the bloody DIYers!
Happy Monday ;)

The problem is going to get worse. Groupon are now selling the kit for people to do at home:
Gel Nail Polish Kit Up to 68% Off

I trained with CND for Shellac and Rockstar, but its getting harder to justify a cost when they can do it themselves!:irked:

I just replied saying my clients have never seen there nails in better condition.
The people who have had no training are giving it a bad name!
Anyway the proof is in the pudding and my clients are over the moon with the condition of there nails so no complaints there! X

Urgh. Daily Fail aside, that's a lovely colour on those nails. Anyone know if it's a shellac colour?? ;-)

If it's Shellac then my guess is Strawberry Smoothie! :D

How rude, a comment saying that "Women are thick" at least there is Sam's view printed x

How rude, a comment saying that "Women are thick" at least there is Sam's view printed x

Very rude .. hope she sees my response.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone has just posted this following comment, I am guessing it a wind up!

i manicure my own nails with shellac on a regular basis and you can remove them without acetone. Take a metal nail file with a pointy end and starting at the base of the shellac (near the cuticle) gently pick at the edge until you can push the nail file between the shellac and your nail and peel off. Takes me around 20 minutes to remove the shellac and my nails underneath are in fantastic condition, much better than before i began using the shellac. Shellac is real easy to do yourself and everything you need is available on internet auction sites quite cheaply. Ive given myself hundreds of pounds worth of shellac nails for a few pounds and never had a split nail or a chip in my polish since :)
- me, here and there, United Kingdom, 10/9/2012 10:50

Someone has just posted this following comment, I am guessing it a wind up!

i manicure my own nails with shellac on a regular basis and you can remove them without acetone. Take a metal nail file with a pointy end and starting at the base of the shellac (near the cuticle) gently pick at the edge until you can push the nail file between the shellac and your nail and peel off. Takes me around 20 minutes to remove the shellac and my nails underneath are in fantastic condition, much better than before i began using the shellac. Shellac is real easy to do yourself and everything you need is available on internet auction sites quite cheaply. Ive given myself hundreds of pounds worth of shellac nails for a few pounds and never had a split nail or a chip in my polish since :)
- me, here and there, United Kingdom, 10/9/2012 10:50

Why are you guessing it's a wind up?! I can quite well believe every word unfortunately!

At least for once, there was a quote from a professional (mrs geek) that was accurate and reported accurately.

As for the comments on the DM- really i believe a lot of those that comment on these (what i call) propaganda-the worlds going to end type articles are quite hysterical (and I don't mean funny). By all means have an opinion, but perhaps a little research first is in order.

Sensationalist journalism.... Yawn, yawn.... who's for the witch hunt next. I have to say i do wonder if these 'journalists' have any job satisfaction, i mean these articles really are a load of tosh!

So, the article is saying that laboratory experiments have been carried out and that there is actual scientific evidence of nail thinning following shellac application/removal. I know we are all in the industry and would love for Shellac and similar products to cause no damage to the nails as we are told by the manufacturers, but we cant pick and choose which bits of evidence we want to believe in, and if certain scientists are claiming they have actual PROOF that these treatments thin the nails then I for one would like more information about that particular bit of research rather than just fobbing it off as rubbish because its not convenient to me for that to be true.

There are so many variables here. It depends how the product was applied, and how it was removed for a start. If it was done wrong then of course there will be thinning, but I would certainly like to know more about the research.

Dont get me wrong I love CND/S2 and I love Shellac, but of course the manufacturers/distributors of a product are going to tell you its an amazing product, that's their job. And as far as personal testimonials are concerned regarding customers having stronger healthier nails after shellac treatments, that's not something you can know for sure. You cannot tell with the naked eye and without relevant medical qualifications what the actual state of the nail is, it might seem stronger and healthier to you but that might not be the case. Think about how many times we say "You have to use the right lamp to cure. If you use the wrong lamp your product may look really good and may look fully cured but it might not be". Same applies with the health of the nail, it may look fine, but you cant tell whats going on underneath the surface of it.

I'm not saying Shellac causes damage, I really hope this research is flawed, all I'm saying is that its naive to reject a claim to proof of something without questioning it just because its inconvenient for us if something does turn out to be true.

DM didn't link to the peer reviewed journal this experiment was supposedly published to... It may as well not exist IMO ><. Any article that doesn't cite their evidence holds no value to me.

Latest posts

Back