ANT would like your constructive view of the new PB

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crystaltippers

Reaction score
Rachel & I will be attending a meeting next week with the new owners of PB. We know that some of our members have concerns over the nail content in the first edition and would like to take some representative views with us from within the industry.

We would like constructive views only, this is not intended as a back biting thread as we want the nail techs views to be seriously taken on board.

We want to know if you thought it was great or if there were areas that could be improved and, if so, how?

Comments please......

Thanks

Sue
ANT Membership Secretary

Hi Sue

You may have noticed that one or two threads have been started making comments on the new PB so you may want to look at those.

One constructive point is that the nail bits were very dis-jointed and all over the place - many felt it would be better if all the nail stuff was together as many nail geeks arent particulary interested in the other beauty stuff.

Many nail geeks also feel that they felt like the poor relatives of the beauty geeks in this edition, so would like to see more focus on nails being taken a little more seriously in its own right.

Hope that helps - I am sure there will be many more comments added to this.

I am a beauty and nails geek so I didnt have any personal opinions on this but I can understand where the nail geeks are coming from.

Firstly thank you for raising this issue for us. :hug:

I just thought it odd that for ages PB has had a seperate nail section at the back, and then when they decide to amalgamate 3 mags into one the nail section goes, and the focus is very much on the beauty side?

I do nails and beauty so I like all of it, but I did feel it odd that there was actually less focus on nails when the editors would have known that their nail audience would have grown considerably due to the PN subscribers now having to have PB instead.

I think if they don't acknowledge and remedy this then they will be losing a lot of customers when their subs run out.

Havent even got mine to look at to pass comment im afraid.

Hi
Now then...

As has been said, the layout could definately be improved by separating the nails from the beauty.

Having read the magazine properly, I still dont really feel the need to have beauty info at my disposal,
but I have to admit that there were bits that i found fascinating (to my surprise, lol),
e.g:
the article covering mineral make up was great, I loved having the list of ingredients & their origins to read, I feel informed.

I enjoyed the business tips from Alan Sugar etc.

And the % comparisons of takings etc. from the different areas of our industry were interesting too.
I am glad to have three issues to decide how I feel though, and I now accept that this format of the mag is in its early stages, and will probably improve and 'get tighter'.

I liked it, thought it was fab.
The articles were interesting both the nails ones and the beauty ones, I liked that they were all mixed up together, it broke up the reading and got me to read some interesting beauty ones that maybe I normally wouldnt have done.
Business articles were great! Loved the one about the salaries/minimum wage and the others about sales increase percentages etc.
Liked the industry news too, again both beauty and nails. Preferred this mag to PN - for me PN was over in about 30mins, too many pics not enough reading.

One big criticism I have is that the front cover didnt have any nails on it. I think you lost alot of nails people in the first 2 seconds that they picked up the magazine because of this.

Thanks so far. Will check out the other threads too.

Keep them coming!!!

Can't they just bring back a separate nail mag again really missed reading professional nails along side Scratch this month

I do have to agree with most people i would like to see the book in sections, nails beauty, business etc i found myself just flicking through most of it lokking at the stuff for nails but was alittle disappointed as there isn't alot in there about nails???

As this is the first one i thought it was nice but wounl love to see a front cover that suits the mag better it looked alittle like a wedding mag...

Hope this helps and no-one is too afended as i realise alot of time and effort has gone onto the new mag xx

It's a shame that PN has gone back into PB. Over the years a lot of people have worked hard to get nails mags to stand on their own. (I won't bore you with the history) PN was created to much hype as the publishers felt the industry was big enough to support it. The editors did a good job but the industry is still small and it had to compete with Scratch all the time.

I'm sure this move is down to finance and PN just couldn't hold its own. Advertising costs a lot of money and not many nail companies can afford to advertise every month, if at all.

I doubt that, however much we may want PN back, it will only come back if the industry suppliers/distributors etc support it with advertising. It is owned by a much bigger company now who won't let their hearts rule their pocket (business is business)

I don't think it is so dreadful as beauty readers may read more about nails and vice versa (shame it can't go into a hair trade mag too!!) and we can all read about issues that relate to all service industries.

Thanks guys, this is the feed back we need. I will print out the other threads and take them with us on Thursday.

If any one has any feedback or comments on any issues about the mag or ANT, please let us know. We can only improve if we know what you want!
Thank you!

Hi all

Just to update you. Rachel and I went for our meeting with PB and yes they know that the first edition was a bit light on the nail stuff we were all hoping for and are addressing it.

Thank you for all your comments.

Sue

Latest posts

Back