Any Advice on Massage or Spray Tan Avoidances!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xChloex

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anybody could give me a list, if you like, on what sort of people I shouldn't spray tan on or massage.

I am aware of spray tanning and pregnancy but wondered if there were any other conditions you lot all avoid?!

Same with massage, I know it's a minefield with high/low blood pressure, cancer, whether the client has drunk alcohol etc but I'm a bit panicky in case a scenario pops up whereby I don't know whether to carry out the treatment or not.

Anyone who can help?!

x

With the spray tan ensure they have waxed at least 24 hours before hand, and exfoliated. Your supplier will give you all the info you need with your training

As regards to massage, don't panic just use your own judgement, if presented with anything and you are unsure if it is a contra indication ask for a GP letter. again go back to your Trainer for more info and clarification on contra indications if you need it.

Don't worry we all panic in the beginning but go with your training, ensure you do a full thorough consultation and have suitable insurance.:hug:

By avoidances i assume you mean contraindications ?

Wouldn't that have been covered in your training hun ? x

Sorry to crash the thread, but why cant you spray tan during pregnancy?

The hormones that fluctuate during pregnancy particularly in the 1st trimester can cause skin patchiness:hug:

After 12 weeks it is normally fine to spray tan clients

Massage contra-indications.

first 3 months of pregnancy,recent operation,heart problems,bruising,broken bones,sprains,diabetes,high blood pressure,open cuts and wounds,cancer.

Now I will say that a lot of these are OTT but they have to be covered in your consultation and it's like anything certain areas can be avoided.So for instance if you were doing a back massage then it wouldn't matter if client had a broken toe.Hope this all makes sense but it will be all covered on whatever course you have done or are doing.

Anything that has been noted during the consultation needs to be written on clients notes,dated and signed and if it's anything serious i.e high blood pressure I would not do until you have a doctors letter.Again though use your common sense.HTH:)

After 12 weeks it is normally fine to spray tan clients

I have a client booked in for a tan who is 8 weeks pregnant, I have warned her that it could be very streaky, but she said that she would rather that than pale and pasty! I will make her sign that she knows this on her record card. Hopefully it will be fine, but I really stressed the problems that could arise due to her raging hormones, or even that the tan may not take at all ... the same can happen if a client is tanned when she has her period.

I'm a very confident spray tanner, but if I wasn't I would have turned the business away. And I guess that is my point, if you are EVER in ANY doubt about proceeding with a treatment then it is best to turn the business away rather than it go belly up on you, it just isn't worth the aggro. YOU have to be the one in control NOT your client. HTH :hug:

I have a client booked in for a tan who is 8 weeks pregnant, I have warned her that it could be very streaky, but she said that she would rather that than pale and pasty! I will make her sign that she knows this on her record card. Hopefully it will be fine, but I really stressed the problems that could arise due to her raging hormones, or even that the tan may not take at all ... the same can happen if a client is tanned when she has her period.

I'm a very confident spray tanner, but if I wasn't I would have turned the business away. And I guess that is my point, if you are EVER in ANY doubt about proceeding with a treatment then it is best to turn the business away rather than it go belly up on you, it just isn't worth the aggro. YOU have to be the one in control NOT your client. HTH :hug:

Absolutely 100%

Oh I see, I thought for a minute that it was damaging to the baby, and I panicked!

Thank you for clearing that up x

I've sprayed a couple of pregnanat ladies before and they've always turned out fine. I obviously explain beforehand, if they are willing to take the risk of it not working or turning patchy then its up to them.
My tan doesn't go patchy when I'm on a period but its a lot lighter than it usually is.

I have covered all my contraindications in my massage when I did the course, I just panicked because my cousin who did the course a while ago said I needed to be absolutely sure on everything as (obviously) it can be quite damaging if they had a contraindication and I proceeded anyway. She just said she wasn't gonna bother offering massage anymore cos it's too complicated to go through who can and who can't have it. I just thought there may be more reasons why I couldn't massage somebody, other than the contraindications stated in my course.

Thanks for clearing it up...shall not worry too much and of course, I wouldn't carry out any treatment be it massage or manicure! if I wasn't 100% sure anyway.

phew!

x

Sorry to crash the thread, but why cant you spray tan during pregnancy?

you are not supposed to spray tan pregnant women until they are out of the danger zone which is 3months into the pregnancy. cos they could risk losing the baby or have problems with it.

you are not supposed to spray tan pregnant women until they are out of the danger zone which is 3months into the pregnancy. cos they could risk losing the baby or have problems with it.

This thread is actually 2 and half years old-lol
There is no risk to baby!
I've sprayed pregnant women and they've been fine.
It's recommended not to do it in the first 3 months as moms hormones are raging and the tan may go patchy.
I've sprayed women in the first 3 months and i've never seen a patchy tan but you need to tell them it may go patchy and it's up to them to decide.
Just make sure there is adequate ventilation, maybe give them some sniffits to pop up their nose and maybe have a chair ready in case mom needs to sit down. I did have one pregnant lady pass out on me mid tan! She was suffering with low blood pressure and standing still caused her to go woozy but this would probably have happened with anyone suffering with low blood pressure.
Spraying will not harm the baby or cause any birth defects!

The other geeks have already given you some fab advice but I wanted to say to you, if at ANY time,for any reason you have doubts about doing a treatment then DONT do it. You always have the 'I need a g.p note' to back you up xxx

Latest posts

Back