Any advice on slimming tablets????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big miss nails

Reaction score
Hiya i went to see my doctor yesterday and he's given me some slimimg tablets to try
Has anyone else been on sliming pills??
Can anyone give me any advice with them?
My doctor talked me through all the side effects and how to take them but i would just like to hear from people that have tried them as i don't know what to expect..

I had some once from boots and they worked but only because they made me so ill i couldn't eat. I had stomach cramps for weeks after i stopped taking them. Never again.

What sort of side effects did doctor say there would be ?

i could suffer from stomach cramps and going to the toilet could be a regular thing (im putting it in a polite way)if i eat anythink which contains a lot of fat..

Ive had slimming tablets from a registered slimming clinic, only lost about 4lb in six months but found i was always breathless, sweaty and on an evening my chest hurt so much that i thought i was having a heart attack, all these symptoms got worse in time and one evening i had to call for an ambulance because i couldnt take a full breath, was advised to stop taking them as they are all amphetamine based and it was causing problems with my heart and lungs. Good luck with your weight loss hun but if you do get any problems go straight to your doctor PLEASE :hug:

Ive had slimming tablets from a registered slimming clinic, only lost about 4lb in six months but found i was always breathless, sweaty and on an evening my chest hurt so much that i thought i was having a heart attack, all these symptoms got worse in time and one evening i had to call for an ambulance because i couldnt take a full breath, was advised to stop taking them as they are all amphetamine based and it was causing problems with my heart and lungs. Good luck with your weight loss hun but if you do get any problems go straight to your doctor PLEASE :hug:
oh no i hope you are ok now babe..thankyou for sharing your experiance.i will defently go back if anythink starts to change xx

Thanks hun yes im 100% fine now :hug:

Has he prescribed you Xenical or Reductil?

Xenical prevent your body from absorbing the fats in your food so basically you'll poo a lot. It can cause some unpleasant side-effects (anal leakage)

Reductil will suppress your appetite and doesn't have the unfortunate disadvantage of Xenical.

Both are medically supported and trialled and should help with weight reduction as long as you go for regular check up too to see everything is progressing as planned

i was prescribed xenical...im starting to worry now as in the past i have sufferd with ibs.....

Umm, I was given Thinz from a south african workmate, you can't my them in the uk.
I took them for about 2 weeks and lost 9lb. Then i noticed i hadn't eaten for 3 days (i'm a busy girl), I could hear my heartbeat in my head, i kept feeling tingly hands, and and head rushes and my heart was racing. I was really thirsty too.
I googled the ingredients (the instructions were in africaans but i'll try anything for a quick fix) and i found that the main ones were used to make herbal extacy. :eek:

Everyone at work had mentioned how happy i was lately and thought i was on prozac, lol.
On a serious note, wouldn't reccomend taking anything like this with out seeing your doctor, (like me???) - found out later some of the side effects of some of the ingrediesnts are - death. :eek:

When I had some before I had the shakes (not good when you are painting nails) so stopped taking them! :eek:

i was prescribed xenical...im starting to worry now as in the past i have sufferd with ibs.....

This is an except from this website about the side effects of Xenical:- (just to clarify orlstat is Xenical)

What are the possible side effects of orlistat?
• Stop taking orlistat and seek emergency medical attention if you experience a rare allergic reaction including shortness of breath; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives.
• Other, less serious side effects are more likely to occur. Continue to take orlistat and talk to your doctor if you experience
· oily spotting;
· oily or fatty stools;
· orange or brown colored oil in your stool;
· gas with discharge, an oily discharge;
· an urgent need to go to the bathroom;
· an inability to control bowel movements, or;
· an increased number of bowel movements.
• The bowel changes listed above are a natural effect of blocking fat and indicate that orlistat is working. They generally occur early in treatment, particularly after meals containing higher amounts of fat than are recommended. These symptoms are usually temporary and lessen or disappear as you continue treatment and keep to your recommended diet of meals containing 30% fat.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.

This is an except from this website about the side effects of Xenical:- (just to clarify orlstat is Xenical)

What are the possible side effects of orlistat?
• Stop taking orlistat and seek emergency medical attention if you experience a rare allergic reaction including shortness of breath; closing of your throat; swelling of your lips, tongue, or face; or hives.
• Other, less serious side effects are more likely to occur. Continue to take orlistat and talk to your doctor if you experience
· oily spotting;
· oily or fatty stools;
· orange or brown colored oil in your stool;
· gas with discharge, an oily discharge;
· an urgent need to go to the bathroom;
· an inability to control bowel movements, or;
· an increased number of bowel movements.
• The bowel changes listed above are a natural effect of blocking fat and indicate that orlistat is working. They generally occur early in treatment, particularly after meals containing higher amounts of fat than are recommended. These symptoms are usually temporary and lessen or disappear as you continue treatment and keep to your recommended diet of meals containing 30% fat.
• Side effects other than those listed here may also occur. Talk to your doctor about any side effect that seems unusual or that is especially bothersome.
Thankyou babe my doctor did say about my stools being orange and oily (sorry ladys)

I haven't really got any experiences/advice regards the slimming pills, but have you not tried to eat healthily and take regular exercise?

I have used Duromine prescribed by the Doctor. They do work and really reduce your appetite and give you loads of energy.
Downside is you can be very edgy and impatient, in the beginning you dont sleep very well. Your moods can be very high or low. I have lost twenty kilos with them in the past along with the gym and a controlled diet. But truly to me they are just a legalised version of speed.
Hope that helps in making a decision
cheers:green:

I haven't really got any experiences/advice regards the slimming pills, but have you not tried to eat healthily and take regular exercise?
yeah i went to a shape up group run through my doctors surgery but didnt loose any weight..i did weight watchers 4 years ago and lost 2 stone and i was happy with that.then i ended up pregnant again since having bailey i carnt loose the weight iv tried weight watcher,slimers world,and shape up i do like going to the gym but hate going alone

Yes don't bother!!! They have a high concentration of caffeine in most brands and the initial weight loss is caused by the increased water you drink which flushes your system. Save your money drink plenty of water and eat sensibly, I've lost 8lb in 4 weeks and its staying off, not fluctuating like it did before. The girls in the sunbed shop ear me swear by these, yeah they are thin but their hands shake, their skin looks awful and their eyes are dull. Don't make much sense to me hun:hug:

hi there

I have been taking reductil since March and have lost 4 and a half stone

i have no side effects.

I personally would not touch the ones you have been given as i have a very busy lifstyle and i know others who have been taking them and ended up being caught short whilst out and about.

Dr's do not like handing out Reductil as they are expensive for the practice to buy and if you bought straight from the internet (which no one should ever do as you need to be monitored every month) they can cost £130 for one month supply

hi there

Well done mate, that's a massive achievement :D

hi there

i have no side effects.

I personally would not touch the ones you have been given as i have a very busy lifstyle and i know others who have been taking them and ended up being caught short whilst out and about.

Dr's do not like handing out Reductil as they are expensive for the practice to buy and if you bought straight from the internet (which no one should ever do as you need to be monitored every month) they can cost £130 for one month supply
wow you'v done really well babe...nearly everyone i have spoke to who has taken the same tablets as me all tell me about the toilet problems which im not looking forward to as i have the school runs to do!

they might not be the only runs you do ,,,if you forgive the pun

Thanks both for the praise i want to kick my old self to the curb now and invite the new me in to the new year

Latest posts

Back