Any advice on steamy windows? ;)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bliss1

Reaction score
Hey geeks

I've got massive windows on my shop front and they constantly steam up in this horrid weather.
Any tips? Seem 2 remember theres something you can clean them with but really can't remember what lol.

Susan
X

Hi,

Ooooer lol! I have no idea as I am sat here looking out (or not so much) through a big steamy window also! I would like to know too?

x

I was always told to use water with washing powder in hun - I did that, dried them with hubby's chamois for the car and our windows have been great all through last winter :D That is having our living room with 2 sets of french patio doors and a 10 foot window also xxx

My Grandma always told me to rub a tiny bit of shampoo all over the bathroom mirror to stop it steaming up,guess its the same principle as with steamy windows!xxxx

Washing up liquid on a damp-wet cloth then leave to dry naturally - voila!
Also you can use scrunched up newspaper to dry and that works too.
x

Guys, I know it may be expensive but how about a window vent? Ask landlord/glazier. Just a small circle one above the door should reduce it x

Thanks geeks
I will be trying these out at the weekend
Lolly I'll let you know what works.
Together we will be steam free!!! Lol

Susan

Cool nice one :) x

I had steamy windows at the salon and bought a dehumidifier a year or so ago, not had any problems since!

Fairy liquid is the way to go - cheap and works well - used to use this method in a coffe shop years ago

I agree with the fairy liquid tip, we used it in a shop I worked in it's the only think we could find that worked because the shop was badly heated, one if those blinking calor gas heaters!

Although the fairy liquid etc will help reduce the misty windows it doesn't really solve the ultimate problem. If there is condensation on the windows then the chances are that you have condensation elsewhere, and it is certainly not very good for walls etc or the atmosphere in general. I personally would get a dehumidifier to reduce the water in the air, which will solve the problem entirely.

Guys, I know it may be expensive but how about a window vent? Ask landlord/glazier. Just a small circle one above the door should reduce it x

listed building :sad:

Do you think these tips may work on perspex windows also?

Fairy liquid tip worked. Thanks geeks :)
Definitely going to invest in a dehumidifier as well tho.
It is an old building and quite a damp place. We've done our best to insulate the front shop as well we can but the back area is horrible and cold. So am assuming that's what's causing it

Susan

Is that why my car windows are always lovely as soon as the inside demists? I know it's a no-no but I use fairy liquid as screen wash cause my dad has done it for years and years and never had a problem haha x

Ah just found this post and am so glad!
Was just thinking today how to banish my steamy front porch before people thought me and the man were havin a bit of 'how's ur father....' so to speak!!!! Lol!!

Annoying as of a street of about 20houses - mines is the only one to steam! Confused?! As it's the front door, it's well aired and also gets some heat from within the house so not sure why only happens to mine?!

But at least I can now clear it in future!!

Thanx geeks - always someone with answers!!! :)) xx

Latest posts

Back